Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-16-2009, 04:30 AM   #1
ammophobia

Drives: 2007 Vios (Yaris Sedan)
Engine intake air flow not smooth on certain speed and gear?

Sometimes when I run the car on 3rd gear at around 40 kph (25-30 mph), then apply around 1/3 throttle on the pedal to let the car accelerate up to 60 kph (around 40 mph), I can hear that the car sucks air with some unsmooth noise... The engine runs fine however, the acceleration feels smooth, it's just the air not being sucked smoothly. It also happens sometimes on the 2nd gear and 4th, but I'm not sure about the speed/rpm range...

What can be causing this? Worn air filter? I live in a country with dirty air and heavy level of pollution, and I haven't changed my air filter for 30000 km (around 20000 miles), because factory service manual here suggests that the air filter is changed every 40000 km (around 25000-30000 miles). I do occasionally clean the filter though.

Is it okay to try to run the car for a while without the filter on to test whether the filter is causing this?

Thanks.
ammophobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:54 PM   #2
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammophobia View Post
Sometimes when I run the car on 3rd gear at around 40 kph (25-30 mph), then apply around 1/3 throttle on the pedal to let the car accelerate up to 60 kph (around 40 mph), I can hear that the car sucks air with some unsmooth noise... The engine runs fine however, the acceleration feels smooth, it's just the air not being sucked smoothly. It also happens sometimes on the 2nd gear and 4th, but I'm not sure about the speed/rpm range...

What can be causing this? Worn air filter? I live in a country with dirty air and heavy level of pollution, and I haven't changed my air filter for 30000 km (around 20000 miles), because factory service manual here suggests that the air filter is changed every 40000 km (around 25000-30000 miles). I do occasionally clean the filter though.

Is it okay to try to run the car for a while without the filter on to test whether the filter is causing this?

Thanks.
I would contact 1stToyota on the forums. He knows EVERYTHING about Air Filters and how the Yaris reacts. Oh and tell him I sent you!
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:19 PM   #3
saplaymate

Drives: 08' HB
Love it, that what this is about, people helping people!
Old 07-17-2009, 03:31 AM   #4
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Remove your air filter and test drive the car. See if the the sound is reproduced without air filter. If the sound is reproduced, the cause is not the air filter.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote