Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 09-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #37
Flipper_1938

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
So I been reading this and thought I would go look at mine. And sure enough it is.

So I got the idea to lift the rear of the car up off the ground. Then I took a rubber mallot and hit as hard as I could the rim that poked out further. Making sure I hit the center of the rim with as much force as possible. Golf swing style. I lowered and measured it again. I hit it too hard. now the other side pokes out too far. Lifted it back up and slightly tapped it.. and it fixed it.. ;)
So the bushings are sliding in the pockets on the beam?
Flipper_1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:20 PM   #38
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
My left side never rubbed with the 10mm spacer in.

Duh, I read that too early I guess...why would it start.

For me I would be adding a spacer to the driver side probably making it rub like the passenger side. I guess I could even it out and add a lil camber. It's like I HAVE to add camber now if I want to fix it...Toyota made me do it.

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:25 PM   #39
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
So I been reading this and thought I would go look at mine. And sure enough it is.

So I got the idea to lift the rear of the car up off the ground. Then I took a rubber mallot and hit as hard as I could the rim that poked out further. Making sure I hit the center of the rim with as much force as possible. Golf swing style. I lowered and measured it again. I hit it too hard. now the other side pokes out too far. Lifted it back up and slightly tapped it.. and it fixed it.. ;)

I tried this too, except instead of lifting the car(my hands fatigue easily) I just donkey kicked the passenger rear panel and shifted the body. I had my neighbor put his foot in front of the opposite wheel/tire so only the body would move.

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:49 PM   #40
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
If you did move it over it would only be temporary as you would simply be deforming the bushing. As soon as the car starts moving it will find its way back. This is what the pocket in the body looks like. There is no way you are going to deform it by whacking on the hub. With the two pockets being off center as they are, you would have to do some serious cutting and rewelding to center them.

Axle beam pocket.png
Old 09-13-2013, 01:00 PM   #41
D&D
It's Quacktastic!

Drives: '07 Yaris Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.5 View Post
ive been running -6 degrees in the rear for close to a year now and i barely notice any unusual wear. The 5-6 months i have had the same tires on the rear and you cant even notice a difference in wear from inside of tire to outside maybe my toe is spot on!
But how many miles did you drive in that time?
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:26 PM   #42
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
about 6k ^^^

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:21 PM   #43
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I run -1.5 in the front and have experienced no abnormal tire wear. I use extremely soft sticky tires too (Toyo R888)
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:43 AM   #44
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipper_1938 View Post
So the bushings are sliding in the pockets on the beam?
no.. this actually did not work. surprise.. CT is right, even if this did work, the amount of autocross I do, it would shimmy back and forth all the time.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:45 AM   #45
Flipper_1938

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
When people are pushing the beam around to center things up....what is actually moving?
Flipper_1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:16 PM   #46
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipper_1938 View Post
When people are pushing the beam around to center things up....what is actually moving?
They are deforming the rubber bushings that the beam bolts go through. They have about 1/2" of material around the bolt and are soft, so you can deform them. When you do so you are actually cocking the beam, rather than sliding to one side, so if it stayed like that the car would go dog style down the road.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:18 AM   #47
DINOeggxo

Drives: white yaris hatchback.
bumping this back up:

Has anyone ever attempted to modify the rear beam to pull the wheels in more? like cutting re-welding? trying to think of a way to get perfect fitment. or is there a beam from earlier yaris or other model that is narrower and would bolt in?
DINOeggxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:24 AM   #48
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DINOeggxo View Post
bumping this back up:

Has anyone ever attempted to modify the rear beam to pull the wheels in more? like cutting re-welding? trying to think of a way to get perfect fitment. or is there a beam from earlier yaris or other model that is narrower and would bolt in?
I don't believe so on either.

Cutting and re-welding would actually be a reasonable approach, although the simpler solution is to use hub spacers. Using a mismatched set of one 10 mm and one 13 mm Penguin Garage spacer brings them almost perfectly equal. To make them dead on you could purchase a set of 10's or 13's and grind one down to where both sides are identical.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:37 AM   #49
sasquatch

Drives: 04.:R32, 87 Scirocco, 07 yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
I don't believe so on either.

Cutting and re-welding would actually be a reasonable approach, although the simpler solution is to use hub spacers. Using a mismatched set of one 10 mm and one 13 mm Penguin Garage spacer brings them almost perfectly equal. To make them dead on you could purchase a set of 10's or 13's and grind one down to where both sides are identical.

Yea we have considered spacers. But we are looking to maybe bring the wheels in more than just even them out. They already poke out some on each side and hoping to look for options to bring them in rather than just crazy camber..
sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:48 AM   #50
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post
Yea we have considered spacers. But we are looking to maybe bring the wheels in more than just even them out. They already poke out some on each side and hoping to look for options to bring them in rather than just crazy camber..
OK. In that case the cut/weld is the way to go. You have about 1/2" to play with before you have to remount the shock mount.
Old 05-10-2014, 02:28 PM   #51
sasquatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
OK. In that case the cut/weld is the way to go. You have about 1/2" to play with before you have to remount the shock mount.

That's what I was gonna ask about haha. So 1/2 inch total or 1/2 inch on each side can be removed. if that makes sense.
Old 05-10-2014, 02:46 PM   #52
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post
That's what I was gonna ask about haha. So 1/2 inch total or 1/2 inch on each side can be removed. if that makes sense.
!/2" per side. You could get almost 1.5" per side if you cut right up to the shock mount.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:36 PM   #53
sasquatch

I am now intrigued. Will have to look into this more
Old 05-10-2014, 06:01 PM   #54
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Same problem up front as discussed a long time ago in another thread somewhere.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote