Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-25-2014, 12:36 PM   #1
spookybathtub

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Grill near map light

What is the purpose of this grill near the map lights in the ceiling? I have a 2007 hatchback. I'm installing an aftermarket stereo with Bluetooth, and I was thinking this would be the best place for the microphone. But curiously these slots are solid, and they don't seem to be easy punch-outs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0055.jpg (59.7 KB, 99 views)
spookybathtub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 01:18 PM   #2
Mittelklasse
Problem, officer?

Drives: '06 Yaris 5DLB 1.5
No idea. Though the plastic inside is pretty thin. I carve it using box cutter and installed an LED as ambient light. (Ran a wire through the A-pillar down into the main fuse box)

Mittelklasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:07 PM   #3
sheekeebut
Minimalist

Drives: 07 silver sedan
Cooling/venting grill, I imagine. Bulbs can get hot if left on for a while. Those holes are better than nothing. The mic would be tough to fit in there, and would be useless on a rainy day.

If you're considering a place to put the mic, but stealthy, why not buy an extra driver's side instrument panel finishing trim (that triangular-ish piece on both sides of the stereo) and fashion a cool hole pattern, behind which you can install the mic? The best part would be that it's right next to the stereo head unit, so less fumbling with routing wires.
sheekeebut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 10:06 PM   #4
spookybathtub

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
I highly doubt it's for cooling, since the holes don't go all the way through, and heat rises. Good point about the rain noise, but that doesn't really affect me living in Los Angeles. I think that panel you mention might be too far from the drivers mouth? I think the closest spot would be on the visor, but it would be too conspicuous.
spookybathtub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 10:49 PM   #5
sheekeebut
Minimalist

You're totally right about it not for cooling. Though I am a bit curious about it. It should have a purpose, but the thing looks closed solid there. It might still knock out properly if one has the right tools, or perhaps it's just a common moulding for the plastic. That said, it may very well be for a speakerphone mic of some sort.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:13 AM   #6
sheekeebut
Minimalist

You can probably cram a little mic in there, but some cutting is involved. Based on distance to your mouth, I'm sure it'll work just as well as above the gauge cluster or on the steering column.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:34 PM   #7
Pokey

Drives: 2010 4 Door Hatch 5 Speed
I cut open the slots with a Dremel, and put the mic for my Bluetooth in behind. Hot glued it in. Works great from that position
Pokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:27 PM   #8
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
From another thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RETRO View Post
They are slots for cars that are equipped with Bluetooth..So Toyota has them in all their cars.. My wifes Corolla equipped with BT has them my Tundra is equipped with BT as it too. My yaris does not have BT but has the slots for them.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:54 PM   #9
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mittelklasse View Post
No idea. Though the plastic inside is pretty thin. I carve it using box cutter and installed an LED as ambient light. (Ran a wire through the A-pillar down into the main fuse box)
This is who i got my idea from, together with CTScott's sunroof switch. I cut the holes out too, created an LED circuit with resistor on a small PCB, then put a nice heater icon that lights up with the parklights. I ran the wires by the driver side A pillar too.

Last edited by jcboy; 10-28-2014 at 02:22 PM.
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote