Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-28-2018, 08:23 PM   #1
Yarismycar
I've made a post!

Drives: 2015 Toyota Yaris Manual Trans
2015 Toyota Yaris manual transmission

Does anyone know what are some of the recommended mods for this car?

I was thinking of getting some good tires, upgrade the suspension, and possibly get some new wheels. I also would like to get a short shifter but don’t know where to look. Any recommendations would be really appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yarismycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 09:42 PM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Start with tires, then custom rate coilovers, then brake pads.

Micro image on ebay may still have short shift kitsch available
Old 11-28-2018, 11:57 PM   #3
lupetnen
scph/jdmuph

Drives: toyota vios ncp42
Sir u might want to check autoplus’ yaris build in c magazine website and start from there :) good tires, springs, drop in filter, headers and axle back exhaust will do for now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lupetnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:33 AM   #4
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Good tires are the best mod for any car.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:42 AM   #5
komichal

Drives: Yaris 2007 1.3 2SZFE 64kW
  • Your car is pretty new so everything will be still good and kind of money waste to replace. But I do agree with the guys that good tires change the experience a lot.
  • I do not know what wheel disks are you using. You may think of aluminium ones. They look good but I have not found an aluminium wheel lighter than the default metal disc so there is no improvement performance-wise.
  • Based on the mileage you can start thinking of better spark plugs. Go for the iridium ones. While I did not feel the difference some other people did.
  • Not sure what toolset you have but you may actually spend a lot more on proper tools rather than the car upgrades. Start looking around for a torque wrench (ideally two as you need to cover a wide span of torques - 10Nm to 160 Nm at least). A breakerbar. OBDII scanner. A multimeter. Brake Power Bleeder. Comfortable jack and solid jackstands. Airtools...? All these things will be very useful and will make car maintenance enjoyable - no matter what car you have in future.
komichal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:48 AM   #6
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
I agree that wheels and tires will give you the biggest boost, dollar for dollar. You're in FL, so you can run high performance summer tires pretty much year round. Anything in the 200-400 treadwear range will give phenomenal grip in the corners compared to stock all seasons and can be used for casual Autocross events.

It's tempting to go with the least expensive suspension first, but after looking at all the different stuff I've bought over the years, a decent set of coilovers would be cheaper in the long run. Plus you can dial it in exactly how you want it instead of trying to match two or three sets of springs to limited adjustment dampers.

Short shift kits under the hood are very hard to come by these days. TWM Performance still makes a short throw lever and bushings for the Yaris. I've actually got both an engine bay and a lever on mine and it's too short. I'd recommend the lever over the engine bay kit, but it's a little harder to install.

komichal's advice about a good set of automotive tools is also a solid investment if you intend to do anything else to the car in the future.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote