Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-05-2006, 06:40 PM   #1
jay

Drives: 2006 Yaris LE 5dr AT
Question When to switch to synthetic oil?

Looking ahead, I will be hitting my first oil change in Apr (6 mos will have passed, and I am projected to hit 8000km at that point). Although I understand that conventional oil is adequate - I'd like to do a bit better, and switch over to synthetic sooner than later.

There seems to be a wide range of suggestions as to when it is appropriate to make the switch. I have read that it is advisable to let the engine "break in" before switching (unless you have a high-end car manufactured in such a way where it comes w/synthetic straight from the factory). Then there are stories of ppl switching over at < 4000km.

My question is whether anyone thinks that moving over to synthetic after 6 mos/8000km is optimum or even appropriate. While I have heard of Toyota apparently advising 10000km in other models' manuals, have found no mention of synthetic oil in either the Yaris Owner's Manual or Supplement .

I asked Toyota Canada about this, and they indicated that this question (and any other technical matter) should be taken to the dealer. My dealer has advised 16000km, which seems high to me.

Is a whole winter of cold(er) running & starts (I use the block heater when setting out in the morning, no such luck when leaving work) not enough already to "run in" the engine?

Curious to hear of some other thoughts.
jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 09:32 PM   #2
yariman
Speed Wrenchin'

Drives: 2006 Yaris 3 door, Bayou Blue
With most modern engines the days of having to break in with conventional oil are gone and you can switch to synthetic at any time. However I would do as the dealer has advised to avoid any possible warranty issues.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:15 AM   #3
Schmingie

Drives: 06 Yaris LE 5dr
Good Morning.

Having been in the engine rebuilding and building business and now working for Toyota, here is what I know.

Rings are partially made of chrome, a very hard substance. Chrome-moly rings take approx. 12-15000 km to seat in properly. Using synthetic too early causes the vehicle to be an oil burner, which the dealer may try to blame on you and not repair under warranty. The recommended 16000 km - is probably not a bad number just to be on the safe side.

This is just a brief discription to your question, if there is anything else you would like to know specifically, feel free to ask.

Respectfully,

S.
Schmingie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 09:14 PM   #4
yariman
Speed Wrenchin'

As I suggested do as your dealer advises to cover your a--. I also do a lot of engine work. Most late model engines use a hardened ring such as chrome moly ( no time to go into why ) A lot of new performance vehicles such as mercedes, porsche, viper, cobra all come from the factory with synthetic oil. I personally would keep the conventional in for 500 to 3000 KM to catch all the wear in materials from the engine, then switch to synthetic. This subject will remain controversial for some time with different opinions such as Schminqie's and mine and others. This is what makes these forums so interesting and helpful.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:53 AM   #5
Schmingie

As long as we can agree to dissagree everything is great. What is wonderful as yariman says is that you will get lots of opinions. Sorting through them all is then left up to the poster asking the question.

Thanks for this great forum btw..... great for yariman

S.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:19 AM   #6
echo_hrs
Around the universe...

Drives: Uber-Evolved Pokemon
If you plan on keeping your Yaris for 400,000 kms, then I could see it being worth the extra expense, but every Toyota I've owned have had the cleanest engines I've ever seen, if regularly maintained, barely turning the oil dark honey colour after 6000kms, even 10 year old ones...

Oh the controversy!
echo_hrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 10:34 AM   #7
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
lol.

Synthetic cn't hurt if you can afford it. I do agree that using normal oil for the first few oil changes prolly cannot be a bad thing.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 12:16 AM   #8
jay

Had no idea that this topic could be controversial... oops

But seriously, some good ideas have been put forth here. I can agree that you won't really hurt anything in waiting 16000km (which nicely coincides with my projected 2nd oil change).

I don't mean to cast doubt on what my dealer advised (it's not like I know more than they do); it just seemed to be a number on the far end of the scale, esp. considering stories of earlier changeovers and modern manufacturing

I guess I'm a little anxious to try the synthetic, for its reputed benefits. Anything I can do that will make the engine last longer, run cleaner & more efficiently - I'm willing to consider.

To echo_hrs & why?, synthetic is more $, but it didn't seem outrageous when I checked (or did I miss something?) I'd be looking at whatever is cheapest/on sale at Canadian Tire/Walmart/Zellers etc, which is in the $20/jug range. That's ~$10 more than the conventional stuff. The labour component of course is the same for both.

~$20 more per year (in my case; I'm on pace to run 16000km for the year) doesn't seem that bad, if there are tangible benefits in return.

To yariman & Schmingie, if you guys are so inclinded to further elaborate (as expert opinions), I'm sure there's lots of curious ppl here who would listen (me included).
Old 02-08-2006, 12:38 AM   #9
yariman
Speed Wrenchin'

Whad a ya say Schminqie? Personally I think this one has been covered enough. And BTW lots of back at ya!. Jay I think the safest thing to do if you have already talked to your dealer is to do as they advised. Schminqie works for Toyota and concurs with the 16000km point. You don't want to be stuck in a battle with Toyota over waiting a year or whatever to switch to synthetic oil.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:58 AM   #10
Schmingie

I say nutinnnn... - hehe - this topic could be worked to death. I think Jay has the information to make an informed choice at this point.

Now lets hear it for them Calgary Flames - lol
Old 02-11-2006, 02:25 PM   #11
jay

Cool. I will play it safe and wait till the 2nd change to switch over.

Thanks for the help (much appreciated).
Old 02-13-2006, 10:32 AM   #12
GabL
I want JDM bumpers!

Drives: 5 Dr Yaris RS in Blazing Blue
I heard ppl say it is nice to change the oil around 2000km or so, before waiting for the first 6000km oil change to clean up all dirts from the new engine. Is that good or not?
GabL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:33 PM   #13
yariman
Speed Wrenchin'

In my opinion that is a good plan
Old 02-15-2006, 09:12 AM   #14
GabL
I want JDM bumpers!

Drives: 5 Dr Yaris RS in Blazing Blue
That's good to hear!

As I did that to my car!
GabL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 04:35 PM   #15
p2filz

Drives: '93 toyota pickup
oh no not htis again, u have 106 hp YOU DO NOT NEED SYNTHETIC its a waste of money... man ppl on the scion life got burned for this topic on the xb dont start up the fire, do what u want but its a waste to use synthetic and from what ive heard its worse to use it if the engine doesnt rev high because its a thicker formula whatever... this is what happens when ppl think bigger is better. u have an econocar why do u need sport oil for a cheap car! WHY!?
p2filz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 05:44 PM   #16
Ziv
It's all about VVTI

Drives: Yaris 5Dr LE White
Quote:
Originally Posted by p2filz
oh no not htis again, u have 106 hp YOU DO NOT NEED SYNTHETIC its a waste of money... man ppl on the scion life got burned for this topic on the xb dont start up the fire, do what u want but its a waste to use synthetic and from what ive heard its worse to use it if the engine doesnt rev high because its a thicker formula whatever... this is what happens when ppl think bigger is better. u have an econocar why do u need sport oil for a cheap car! WHY!?
ha ha, I like the way you think.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:27 PM   #17
p2filz

Drives: '93 toyota pickup
im just sayin those races against tcs will be brutal even prius' will be kickin the ass of a yaris maybe a stickshift yaris revved to 6000 rpm's may beat the prius but itll be close... my mom has a prius and i gotta say it doesnt seem to be a sportcar but if u hit the gas 325 lb-ft or torque will relly move you cuz the electric motor has alot of that! any way synthetic wont help go with the regular 10-w30 or 5-w15 whatever it is its asking for dont waste the money homie take it from me you wont win races and synthetic only reduces mpg due to the thicker formula be happy rub in peoples faces that you get 40 mpg* highway! good day
p2filz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 07:04 PM   #18
yariman
Speed Wrenchin'

Thicker formula?? Synthetic oils actually have a lower pour point than petroleum oils which means that it flows much more easily to all the cracks and crannys. Synthetics reduce friction and drag giving better fuel economy, they dont break down like petroleum products, they run cooler and on and on. It is better oil for any application. Petroleum oils are fine provided that you change the oil regularly, but synthetics are better.