Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-08-2009, 05:46 AM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
So Your Radio Isnt Working...I May Know Why!

My sons 2000 ECHOs radio went out but I fixed it. (the Yaris is probably similiar) On these radios if just ONE of the speakers becomes disconnected the radio WILL NOT PLAY! Even though there are SIX speakers. They are computer controlled. STUPID! It automatically gives itself a lobotomy should a speaker wire become unattached. The wires and speakers in the trunk are vulnerable to getting hit by things in the trunk. (at least in the ECHO prolly so in the Yaris too) So if you smash something into the wires or the speakers and dammage a connection the radion will still turn on, the CD will spin, and you can change the numbers on the tuner and all, but it sound wont come out. I also imagine if someone takes the doors panels off or had the dash off (like the PO) and disturbs the speaker connections that also will lobotomize your radio. Just an FYI.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 01:14 PM   #2
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

My daughter's 2001 Echo had the speakers on one side cut out but the thing kept playing. Did it off and on all the time, most annoying.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 01:24 PM   #3
bronsin

You can bring up an error code menu on the radio (on the ECHO, prolly the Yaris too) You hold 1 and 6 simultanously. Then you press CD button twice. Scroll thru the codes by pressing TRACK.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:42 AM   #4
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
Good to know, thanks bronsin.
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:25 AM   #5
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
My sons 2000 ECHOs radio went out but I fixed it. (the Yaris is probably similiar) On these radios if just ONE of the speakers becomes disconnected the radio WILL NOT PLAY! Even though there are SIX speakers. They are computer controlled. STUPID! It automatically gives itself a lobotomy should a speaker wire become unattached. The wires and speakers in the trunk are vulnerable to getting hit by things in the trunk. (at least in the ECHO prolly so in the Yaris too) So if you smash something into the wires or the speakers and dammage a connection the radion will still turn on, the CD will spin, and you can change the numbers on the tuner and all, but it sound wont come out. I also imagine if someone takes the doors panels off or had the dash off (like the PO) and disturbs the speaker connections that also will lobotomize your radio. Just an FYI.
i've got 4 speaker wires (two speakers) not hooked up to my oem radio and it works fine....
I find this hard to believe... What would make sense if there was some kind of short protection circuit... which some of your ideas would in fact trigger a short protection circuit.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:51 PM   #6
bronsin

I got this from the ECHO (2001) service manual. Maybe if you have a PAIR of speakers disconnected its OK but not if you have ONE speaker in a pair disconnected. And his sound system didnt work at all until we reconnected the one speaker in the trunk back up.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:34 PM   #7
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
it might also have something to do with only 1 wire being connected vs both wires disconnected.... Tho that'd be hard for a circuit to detect i'd think.

it might also have something to do with differences between when the deck was powered on... example, car has 4 speakers on when the deck turns on... I disconnect one speaker while the deck is on... then deck shuts off.

I know with my install the deck & car were both off when I disconnected my rears....
Old 11-10-2009, 08:41 PM   #8
Wattz

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
It's because each set is wired as a complete circuit. If one is not connected then the circuit is not complete and no signal passes through the circuit at all, which means that no signal reaches the speaker(s).

So if you manage to break one of the wires or one of the connections comes loose, you'll get intermittent or no sound at all. The only way to fix it is to secure the connection or fix the wire, both are really simple fixes.
Wattz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 03:17 PM   #9
RTR
I've made a post!

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris
My radio comes on and plays when you first crank it for a minute then it stops playing....Any Ideas??

Last edited by RTR; 02-15-2016 at 04:05 PM.
RTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:00 PM   #10
bronsin

Unfortunately I don't.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:41 AM   #11
CoolLuna
I've made a post!

Drives: Toyota Yaris D4D
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR View Post
My radio comes on and plays when you first crank it for a minute then it stops playing....Any Ideas??
I know what problem you have. You must completely take apart radio until only main circuit board is left, than locate transistors which are screwed to the metal side part. This transistors have for sure broken solder around pins because on this metal side part is also screwed main radio holder and vibrations ended at this transistor and solder broke. It also helps a little bump on the right bottom corner at main radio panel but only for few minutes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P_20170217_202324.jpg (343.4 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg P_20170217_203630.jpg (283.0 KB, 132 views)
CoolLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 07:09 PM   #12
Tomikoo
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris 03
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolLuna View Post
I know what problem you have. You must completely take apart radio until only main circuit board is left, than locate transistors which are screwed to the metal side part. This transistors have for sure broken solder around pins because on this metal side part is also screwed main radio holder and vibrations ended at this transistor and solder broke. It also helps a little bump on the right bottom corner at main radio panel but only for few minutes
Thanks dude, that saved a lot of soldering !
Tomikoo is offline   Reply With Quote