Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-11-2018, 07:16 PM   #1
Type-Y

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatch
Tein S Tech with Tokico Blue or Tein Street Advance Z coilovers

I'm trying to decide between the Tein S Tech springs and Tokico Blue struts & shocks or just getting the Tein Street Advance Z coilovers for my 2007 hatch. The price is basically the same.

The coilovers seem like a cool option, but I wonder if the added bonus of being able to adjust ride height, etc., can also become a hindrance because of the added complexity.

The S Techs and Tokico setup would be plug and play which is cool.

Does anyone know how the two setups compare?
Type-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:51 PM   #2
ABSPLASTIC

Drives: Twin-charged rotary V8 w/nos
Go for the coilovers.

lol.
ABSPLASTIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:40 AM   #3
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
I went the cheaper route and started with the Tein S Tech springs, paired with factory shocks/struts. Once the factory shocks/struts go, my plan is to replace with Bilstein B8's.

I'm not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, but my understanding is the lower level Tein coil overs can't be rebuilt like many higher end coil overs can be. Additionally, with our car's rear suspension design, it's not really a coil over, it's still a spring/shock combo. Lastly, I've heard the opinion of several more knowledgeable folks than I, that claimed a proper spring/shock pairing can provide one of the best street setups you can have, so long as you don't need all the adjustments you get with coil overs for track days.

That's just my 2 cents, which is probably really only worth about 1.5, so take it for what it's worth

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:51 PM   #4
Type-Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
I went the cheaper route and started with the Tein S Tech springs, paired with factory shocks/struts. Once the factory shocks/struts go, my plan is to replace with Bilstein B8's.

I'm not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, but my understanding is the lower level Tein coil overs can't be rebuilt like many higher end coil overs can be. Additionally, with our car's rear suspension design, it's not really a coil over, it's still a spring/shock combo. Lastly, I've heard the opinion of several more knowledgeable folks than I, that claimed a proper spring/shock pairing can provide one of the best street setups you can have, so long as you don't need all the adjustments you get with coil overs for track days.

That's just my 2 cents, which is probably really only worth about 1.5, so take it for what it's worth
Lol.

I noticed what you are referring to regarding the rear being spring and shock (though adjustable). I am not even sure I'll be making adjustments much.

How are you finding the ride with the stock shocks/struts?
Old 01-12-2018, 03:30 PM   #5
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type-Y View Post
Lol.

I noticed what you are referring to regarding the rear being spring and shock (though adjustable). I am not even sure I'll be making adjustments much.

How are you finding the ride with the stock shocks/struts?
Honestly, it's fantastic. I can sincerely say that after installing the Tein S Tech's, my ride improved over stock. They're progressive, so regular grocery getting is more comfortable than on stock springs, but when you throw the car into a freeway onramp, it sits down. I was pleasantly surprised.

My issue is that with 17" wheels and the aggressive drop of the Tein springs, I rub a little when hitting those really big freeway hips. It's rare, but does happen. I suspect that maybe stiffer shocks/struts, like the Tokico or Bilstein, would solve for it at the cost of a little comfort.

On Wheelwell
Old 01-12-2018, 11:38 PM   #6
Type-Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Honestly, it's fantastic. I can sincerely say that after installing the Tein S Tech's, my ride improved over stock. They're progressive, so regular grocery getting is more comfortable than on stock springs, but when you throw the car into a freeway onramp, it sits down. I was pleasantly surprised.

My issue is that with 17" wheels and the aggressive drop of the Tein springs, I rub a little when hitting those really big freeway hips. It's rare, but does happen. I suspect that maybe stiffer shocks/struts, like the Tokico or Bilstein, would solve for it at the cost of a little comfort.
Your car looks great, very tastefully done - perfect stance.

I plan on sticking to 15's, so hope that rubbing won't be a factor. Are you rubbing the actual fender or liners?
Old 01-13-2018, 08:47 AM   #7
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Fwiw to add to the discussion I am currently running MicroImage lowering springs with tokiko blues rear and KYB excel G oem up front. I find the front severly lacks the stiffness to handle the springs. I live around really rough roads and this is where I find the issue comes out. On relatively smooth roads they are fine. If you are doing any hard driving and want more performance then the Bilstein b8's will be a good choice.

I'd ecommend the coil overs only if you need the adjustment, if not then springs and a quality shock/strut will do the job well.

This upcoming spring I'm finally going to coil overs and selling my current set up as I need something more for the track, for DD'ing it was fine
Old 06-16-2018, 07:42 PM   #8
Type-Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Fwiw to add to the discussion I am currently running MicroImage lowering springs with tokiko blues rear and KYB excel G oem up front. I find the front severly lacks the stiffness to handle the springs. I live around really rough roads and this is where I find the issue comes out. On relatively smooth roads they are fine. If you are doing any hard driving and want more performance then the Bilstein b8's will be a good choice.

I'd ecommend the coil overs only if you need the adjustment, if not then springs and a quality shock/strut will do the job well.

This upcoming spring I'm finally going to coil overs and selling my current set up as I need something more for the track, for DD'ing it was fine
Did you end up switching to the coil overs?
Old 01-13-2018, 10:18 AM   #9
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
i had tokico blues with the microimage first batch (AOE) of springs. They were indeed too soft on the front, but overall handling feel is great.

i since switched to coilovers and the car is much more stable, with higher grip, but to me handling feel has dimished somewhat.

I think tokico stopped production of yaris kits, and what you're buying is leftover warehouse stock.
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:46 PM   #10
Type-Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by enviri View Post
i had tokico blues with the microimage first batch (AOE) of springs. They were indeed too soft on the front, but overall handling feel is great.

i since switched to coilovers and the car is much more stable, with higher grip, but to me handling feel has dimished somewhat.

I think tokico stopped production of yaris kits, and what you're buying is leftover warehouse stock.
Not following what you mean about about the handling feel was better when it was softer.

What would be the problem with putting together a set from leftover stock?
Old 01-14-2018, 01:01 AM   #11
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
Handling feel is feedback given to you when driving, giving a sense of what each corner is doing at any given time. The strut spring combo gave that feedback, but i felt that its cornering limits are low.

The problem with leftover stock is getting replacements can end up being a problem. I think they have a lifetime warranty, but will it honored, or is there any stock left to cover it?
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:45 PM   #12
Type-Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by enviri View Post
Handling feel is feedback given to you when driving, giving a sense of what each corner is doing at any given time. The strut spring combo gave that feedback, but i felt that its cornering limits are low.

The problem with leftover stock is getting replacements can end up being a problem. I think they have a lifetime warranty, but will it honored, or is there any stock left to cover it?
Handling feel: Thanks for clarifying. So it seems like you find that your car handles better with the coilovers, but which setup do you enjoy more for daily driving?

Leftover stock: I didn't think of that and its a good point. For me its probably not a big factor unless I ended up with a defective shock/strut or I got a premature failure, because I don't log a lot of miles per year (~ 6K or less per year), but you're right, that is a consideration because they won't have a replacement shock/strut available if one happens to crap out, so I'd have to replace all four again.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:44 AM   #13
Other Cars A Supra

Drives: 08 Yaris D4D, Supra, VW Camper
After finding some new Tein lowering springs on ebay i was toying with going with springs for now on standard shocks. with the 16 inch wheel and 195 40 16 tires i was looking at i figured i was safe with just springs for now. especially as they were so cheap!
Other Cars A Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:14 PM   #14
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
I had crappy Megan coilovers for about 14 months. They rode hard and rusted. I swapped them out for S-Techs and HPs and couldn't be happier. It's a much better street setup that actually absorbs bumps and allows for some travel.

Unfortunately, I understand Tokico doesn't make the HPs for the Yaris anymore.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:07 PM   #15
Type-Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
I had crappy Megan coilovers for about 14 months. They rode hard and rusted. I swapped them out for S-Techs and HPs and couldn't be happier. It's a much better street setup that actually absorbs bumps and allows for some travel.

Unfortunately, I understand Tokico doesn't make the HPs for the Yaris anymore.
Thanks Thirty-Nine. I've read your blog and your Yaris is one of my favorites.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:27 PM   #16
Type-Y

One more question. Would the rear Tokico blues for a Scion XD work on the yaris?

Nevermind, wouldn't want to Frankenstein it anyway. I've called around and even though online retailers are showing the rear shocks as available, they in fact are NOT in stock. Tokico Blue for the Yaris is no longer an option.

____ update _____

Since the Tokico's are not available and the TRD's are overpriced IMO, I just ordered a set of Tein Street Advance Z coilovers. Will post some pics when they arrive.

Last edited by Type-Y; 01-17-2018 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:50 PM   #17
Type-Y

The Tein coilover setup arrived today. Amazing, since I just ordered it yesterday. The box is heavy and so are the struts themselves. The finish is very nice. They have the overall feeling of quality. Here are some photos:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0024.jpg (58.9 KB, 270 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0022.jpg (108.6 KB, 271 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0021.jpg (70.1 KB, 269 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0020.jpg (74.0 KB, 268 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0019.jpg (95.9 KB, 268 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0018.jpg (89.5 KB, 273 views)
Old 01-18-2018, 04:58 PM   #18
ern-diz

On Wheelwell