Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-30-2007, 07:35 PM   #1
RandomPilar

Drives: N/A
Interior Detailing

Hi everyone. Historically, I have just used simple wipes (i.e. - armor all wipes) to wipe/clean my dash, instruments, etc... However, I feel that this might not be enough. I used some Turtle Wax interior vinal spray but I found it made huge streaks and left it looking very spotty on my dash.

Should I be using something other than wipes to 1) protect, and 2) make it look cleaner and more shiney?

Thanks!
RandomPilar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 07:57 PM   #2
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
Lot of people on here use Meguire's NXT interior dash spray. I have... it's great.

If you're having a problem with streaking, are you spraying directly onto the dash? You should spray onto your lint-free cloth and wipe it on.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:57 PM   #3
RandomPilar

Drives: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Zaius View Post
Lot of people on here use Meguire's NXT interior dash spray. I have... it's great.

If you're having a problem with streaking, are you spraying directly onto the dash? You should spray onto your lint-free cloth and wipe it on.
Yes - I sprayed onto my cloth then wiped the dash. Perhaps I sprayed too much or I am just not using a good enough product. Thanks for the tips.
RandomPilar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 01:21 AM   #4
BrazdonW
What kind of car is that?

Drives: Yaris 3d liftback
Send a message via AIM to BrazdonW
maguiers has a disposable wipes thing u can get for interiors. i've had great results
Old 07-08-2007, 01:43 AM   #5
KwonSau

Drives: 2007 LB Meteorite Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazdonW View Post
maguiers has a disposable wipes thing u can get for interiors. i've had great results
These are what I use and they're great. They don't leave the oily film that armorall tends to.
KwonSau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 01:44 AM   #6
static808
Engineer/Artist/House-Dad

Drives: 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE
quick bit of advice, dont use armor-all to detail the interior of any car. in long term use, armor-all actually dries out the vinyl and causes cracking. also, you shouldnt be seeking a shiny interior. the only thing that shine will do is cause glare on your windshield, reducing your visibilty. you want a product that will moisturize your interior vinyl, and contain some sort of UV protectant to prevent fading. keep the shine on the outside of the car!! not to peddle products, but i use meguiars vinyl treatment. minimal shine, cleans out grease and grime, and leaves a pearlescent layer for UV protection. good stuff...

--B
Old 07-09-2007, 05:46 AM   #7
Nigal

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
I always just used water and a rag cause I figured the interior wouldn't shine that much anyhow.
Nigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 06:11 PM   #8
9vapors
Awesome.

Drives: 07 Meteorite Metallic Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazdonW View Post
Yup, works best, even if it is just soap and water on a rag.
9vapors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 06:36 PM   #9
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
wet rag all the way, I hate shiny interiors personally
Old 08-05-2007, 04:34 AM   #10
drecian

Drives: '07 YR 3dr
+1 for wet rag.

Most of the interior materials have a textured surface and so IMO doesn't look all that great shiny. I just use a damp microfiber cloth (like $5 for three at K-Mart/Walmart/whereever)) and a compressor afterwards to blow away any lint.

drecian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:49 AM   #11
jonr0613

Drives: Yaris Y Sedan
wet rag will do, personally i don't recommend using soap in detailing your interiors, just water is enough to clean your dash...
jonr0613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 10:14 AM   #12
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
I find the interior marks up really easily just from normal use. I think it's just skin from my arm etc, but it's annoying. Never had a vehicle which marks up this easily, so far I have been able to wipe it off with a wet rag, but would be nice if it didn't show so easily.

Maybe I need to use moisture cream?

It also happens on my wifes side, but I don't notice it when I ride in my friends yaris. weird.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 10:24 AM   #13
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by static808 View Post
quick bit of advice, dont use armor-all to detail the interior of any car. in long term use, armor-all actually dries out the vinyl and causes cracking. also, you shouldnt be seeking a shiny interior. the only thing that shine will do is cause glare on your windshield, reducing your visibilty. you want a product that will moisturize your interior vinyl, and contain some sort of UV protectant to prevent fading. keep the shine on the outside of the car!! not to peddle products, but i use meguiars vinyl treatment. minimal shine, cleans out grease and grime, and leaves a pearlescent layer for UV protection. good stuff...

--B
do you have some super delux Yaris? because everyone evermade has a hard plastic dash, not vinyl.... the statement you made is true about armor all, but it is not relivent to our cars since Toyota does not use cheep vinyl on our car
Old 08-15-2007, 03:47 PM   #14
static808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
do you have some super delux Yaris? because everyone evermade has a hard plastic dash, not vinyl.... the statement you made is true about armor all, but it is not relivent to our cars since Toyota does not use cheep vinyl on our car
hahah, sorry, i used the words vinyl and plastic interchangeably, since everyones interior panels are either one or the other. and most products out there designed for interior detailing are designed for both vinyl and plastic (ABS molded plastics, i believe). but yeah, just AVOID armor-all!

--B
Old 08-15-2007, 03:49 PM   #15
static808

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo22 View Post
I find the interior marks up really easily just from normal use. I think it's just skin from my arm etc, but it's annoying. Never had a vehicle which marks up this easily, so far I have been able to wipe it off with a wet rag, but would be nice if it didn't show so easily.

Maybe I need to use moisture cream?

It also happens on my wifes side, but I don't notice it when I ride in my friends yaris. weird.
you sure the marks arent from the oils on your skin?? moisturizer might make it worse, but your skin will be silky smooth! we might notice marks/smudges/smears more on liftbacks since the interior color is pretty dark...

--B
Old 08-15-2007, 04:02 PM   #16
Turbo&Auto

Drives: 07
I use these orange something cleaning wipes, looks like the can the armor-all wipes comes in but without the armor-all. The dash stays nice and new looking, not shiny like the armor-all look.
Turbo&Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:30 AM   #17
Razr
YRS WHOR

Drives: White 2007 Yaris E-Limited 5dr
+3 for wet rag, I don't dig shiny dashboards.
Razr is offline   Reply With Quote