Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-20-2010, 01:48 AM   #181
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
I always pushed clutches in vehicles all the way to the floor. Habit I guess. Is this the issue with the Yaris? Not doing it far enough? I was thinking about the next one I get (one for me this time) may be a stick, but now I don't know.
Yah, that clutch wants to be pushed *all the way* and won't accept it if you're 2mm off.

I remember the night I drove that car from the dealership, I got into some serious trouble on the freeway when I had almost reached San Francisco. At some point, I downshifted to 2d to make the turn, and the gears were completely stuck... couldn't get out of the way, couldn't move the car ... ugh.... don't know how I did it but I managed to shift anyway and get going. But the next day, the car did not want to start at all. After trying a number of things, we discovered that the car wouldn't start because the mat was stuck under the pedal, and that was the problem. Turned out when they detailed the car at the dealership before giving it to me, they forgot to hook up the mats (they have holes and you're supposed to hook them into place under the seat).

I stalled the Yaris in city driving for a good couple of weeks after that incident anyway because the clutch's friction points are so different from any other car I've ever driven. Reverse was OK for me but boy, I really hated that 1st gear for **a while** and almost had to re-learn how to paralel park (even though I've done it every day for *years*) because of the pillar causing a huge blind spot

The Yaris and I are BFF's now, finally, but oh boy we had a rough start, I remember that.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:30 AM   #182
road_hog

Drives: 09 Yaris Hatchback
My 09 Yaris has an electronic throttle and isn't as quick to respond as other cars I've had with direct linkages. I know exactly what you're talking about. The clutch will catch before the engine has a chance to rev. You just have to give the accelerator a little lead time.
road_hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:37 AM   #183
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
I've been driving MT's for over 30 years - for the first month with my Yaris, taking off from a dead stop I either killed the engine or revved it way too high and burned rubber. Now I have no trouble taking off in 1st gear, it's just the engine revving up between gears when I know I've taken my foot off the accelerator that sounds strange.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:48 AM   #184
Al_

Drives: 2010 1.3L man
Never had an issue here, I was always taught to get the clutch to the friction point and then to lift my toes inside my shoes to get a clean transfer and it hasn't failed me yet.

There is some lag in the throttle between gears, before I would release the gas and push in the clutch at the same time for changes, with the yaris I wait until my foot is off the throttle before pushing in the clutch which makes the shifts perfect
Al_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:42 PM   #185
wooverstone8

Drives: 2017 VW Jetta 1.4L Manual
I don't think there is a safety issue with the Yaris manual transmission. I honestly had problems the first month or two stalling or over revving the engine, but I got over it. After that it became a fun to drive car and I rarely stall it these days. Some people just give up too soon.
wooverstone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:05 PM   #186
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyM46227 View Post
I've been driving MT's for over 30 years - for the first month with my Yaris, taking off from a dead stop I either killed the engine or revved it way too high and burned rubber. Now I have no trouble taking off in 1st gear, it's just the engine revving up between gears when I know I've taken my foot off the accelerator that sounds strange.
I was wondering how you transitioned from Honda to Yaris.
Completely different experience IMO.

I agree, I wouldn't call it a "safety issue" but people should probably be aware that there is a bit of a curve in the beginning. 2c
Old 10-20-2010, 02:17 PM   #187
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
ive only driven slow cars..so clutch on these car from dead stop are no issues at all. i find it all the same.. oh by the way most toyota workers dont know how to adjust from car after cars dont know why but they do istall my car as well whenever i bring it there..
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:57 PM   #188
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
I hate this clutch. I think I am going to get a throttle controller as soon as I can afford it.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:37 PM   #189
chrisj
Hooch Brewer-Shine Sipper

Drives: 2009 5-dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
After trying a number of things, we discovered that the car wouldn't start because the mat was stuck under the pedal, and that was the problem.
Yeah, when I had my Tacoma, my wife would come in the house telling me the truck wouldn't start. It was the same thing...the mat...every time.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:00 PM   #190
kingbobby83
Yea..thats mine

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan 5 speed
Send a message via MSN to kingbobby83
I have a 2009 sedan 5 speed and yes when I first got it , I stalled a few times. Even though I drive Toyotas all day everyday.. I work in the service dept. as a shop lead over the lube techs. I have been known to stall other models too. The reason is that each clutch is diffrent. But once you drive YOURS and get used to it's "points", it is soooo much fun to drive. I rev the rpms up a little before taking off and then just ease on down the road.I have never heard of a "Saftey Issue" or another complaint of this in my three years with Toyota...