Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-08-2006, 03:40 PM   #19
tekmoe
ex-yaris owner

Drives: 08 solstice gxp, 06 triumph s3
Send a message via AIM to tekmoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymaniac
actualy i have the same problem ...

and know alot of people with that problem and yes the yaris is reving to low on idle...

my idle is 400rpm that is way to low...

even my sales director as a yaris and also finds it hard to start from first gear without slipping the clutch...
400rpm IS too low. take it the shop NOW. it needs to be fixed!
tekmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 06:21 PM   #20
roadrunner
Yaris Hypermiler

Drives: 2007 Silver Liftback
I have no issue with the 5 speed transmission! I love it!
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 06:50 PM   #21
whoguy

Drives: Yaris YRS Sedan
Hi all,

Just want to add my 2 cents.

When I first drove my manual Yaris, it was difficult to adjust to it due to the Throttle by Wire setup. Because the response is slightly delay, perhaps 100ms or so, releasing the clutch either has to be delayed to allow the revs to build, or the throttle must be applied before actual take off.
I have no problems with the clutch friction point, actually, the friction point is actually very good!!! The only difference with this car to other cars I have driven is that the clutch travel is quite short. However, if you have ever driven a sports car with a heavy duty clutch, they are much much more difficult than the Yaris. So, in actual fact, the Yaris clutch is actually very SPORTY in comparison to other cars for better or worse.
Also, you should never rely on the idle speed to get you off the line. This is bad technique. Depending on the car(V8's can get away with no throttle) you should always apply some throttle when releasing the clutch.
I'm very happy to trade this small quirk with the control and fuel efficiency that comes with a manual.

Thanks all.
whoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 07:21 PM   #22
twocvforme

Drives: Yaris Liftback ...Silver
Well, it's nice to have so many replys to such a mundane topic as starting off in first gear!!! Thanks!!!

It's still a shame that a vehicle as simple as a Yaris and fairly well put together can take the fun out of standard shift. Especially when I switch over to my Mini Cooper standard shift.

The SHIFTING and the 160 TIRE WEAR RATING....Yaris needs some serious improvement to run with IT'S basic Honda, Nissan .....competition!!
twocvforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 07:38 PM   #23
foober

Drives: two yaris liftbacks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymaniac
actualy i have the same problem ...

and know alot of people with that problem and yes the yaris is reving to low on idle...

my idle is 400rpm that is way to low...

even my sales director as a yaris and also finds it hard to start from first gear without slipping the clutch...
My idle speed is around 600 or 800 I believe. I'll have to check that out again with my scangaugeII. So you may want to take it in to the shop with a 400 idle.
foober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 07:39 PM   #24
poshi

Drives: Yaris 3 Dr
well i dunno if you guys have this problem... sometimes when i try to change gear from 4th to 5th, it seems like it get clogs in between.... as a result if i release the clutch too fast and the gear actually got caught...OUCH!!! gosh.. don't know if you guys have this problem before..
poshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 07:44 PM   #25
twocvforme

I certainly do have a Yaris...that's what I am referring to.....here and my other posts....that I started with the manual transmission!!
Old 10-08-2006, 08:21 PM   #26
H8SGAS

Drives: Black Liftback
In the past with the exception of a lone auto S10 I've owned all manuals, primarily sports cars (V8/Turbo6 most with modded hi-pro trans/clutch etc) and one Wrangler. This clutch has taken me by far the longest to make silky smooth but, it's the driver not the car. If fact stalling/shaking has almost vanished once I did the "Big Foot Mod" and racked up some miles so it's all good.

Case in point, my buddy has never had the urge to own fast cars, drove the Yaris like a champ right off the bat, right away I knew it was me that needed to improve not the car.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:08 PM   #27
junior

Drives: '07 liftback,85 Celica GTS
it took me about two minutes to adjust to the clutch.
every manual i have ever owned had a distinct feel.
VW Bug.
280 Z
1985 Ranger.
renualt coupe.

i enjoy the yaris clutch
junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 09:15 PM   #28
foober

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocvforme
I certainly do have a Yaris...that's what I am referring to.....here and my other posts....that I started with the manual transmission!!
I have no idea why you can't drive it properly.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:06 PM   #29
twocvforme

Quote:
Originally Posted by foober
I have no idea why you can't drive it properly.
Once the Toyota rep gets back to me as to the corrections to my vehicle - and or service bulletin we'll all be good drivers....considering he and the service manager had the same problem "driving it properly"...that is.. It might even help some other owners...who knows..
Old 10-08-2006, 11:23 PM   #30
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
I would like to agree with most other in this post... I think it is just the driver... I am 25 years old and have driven manual trans since my first car.... 15 cars later I have my Yaris.... yes, at first it was different, and I stalled out a few times, but as some one else stated it takes some getting used to with a drive by wire and a hydrolic clutch. I like most others was used to a cable clutch with a standard accelerator.... It just takes a bit of time to adjust to technology... and for the person who started this thread, just because the service manager stalled your car out the first time he/she drove it does not signify a problem... you may want to infest in some race driving classes :)
Old 10-08-2006, 11:46 PM   #31
foober

Quote:
Once the Toyota rep gets back to me as to the corrections to my vehicle - and or service bulletin we'll all be good drivers....considering he and the service manager had the same problem "driving it properly"...that is.. It might even help some other owners...who knows..
Hopefully you'll figure out how to drive a yaris. Its pretty nice once you do. Maybe there's something wrong with your car. Most everyones works great.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:35 AM   #32
as400g33k

Drives: 05 YRS Silver Lining Metallic
We've had our manual Yaris since launch Nov 05 and we've had no problems with ours. Some adjustment to that throttle-by-wire thingy but after a while we got used to it.
as400g33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 05:37 PM   #33
SmellyTofu
好多人&

Drives: .
I think this topic name is VERY misleading. Why is this a safety issue when it's clearly something the source of the problem lies between the steering wheel and the seat? Or maybe the safety issue is the organic bit inside the car.
SmellyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:40 PM   #34
Yaris Dick

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 06 VW GTI, 06 G6
In reality, this guy probably deserves the benefit of the doubt. He may have gotten a bad car from Toyota. Maybe his car *is* one of a very few that has issues... but the fact that he comes in here on his very first post and attempts to use this forum (and others) as his sounding board for his personal vendetta against Toyota should be a clue for those of us with common sense.
Yaris Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:01 PM   #35
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback and S13's
Quote:
Who has problems with clutch, gas and start off in first gear... ???

Yes, we can do it - but in comparison to the FIT and the Versa....The Yaris idle is so low and the clutch is so touchy.. and with a slight incline one stalls at times ..It's such a simple vehicle..........What a dissappointment.

Please test drive before buying..............

A real discussion topic in many other Yaris forums and many are trading already.........mostly for safety issues with stalling in intersections and or being rear ended..
You are probably having the same problem I did when I bought my Yaris. You need to ask that the clutch pedal be adjusted out (approx. 1/16" in my case). It's basically caused by the same thing as the "uncentered steering wheel" problem...in which the delivery trucks tie down the vehicle too hard in the front (usually more on one side) and this will throw off MANY things , especially if you're car was in gear while being trasported. Don't ask me why, but the first serviceperson that mentioned this was able to fix all my Yaris problems..

Don't expect many here to actually know about these factory/dealership problems, but the first time you mention "seat covers", get ready for an 8 page thread.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:27 PM   #36
foober

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD_Yaris
You are probably having the same problem I did when I bought my Yaris. You need to ask that the clutch pedal be adjusted out (approx. 1/16" in my case). It's basically caused by the same thing as the "uncentered steering wheel" problem...in which the delivery trucks tie down the vehicle too hard in the front (usually more on one side) and this will throw off MANY things , especially if you're car was in gear while being trasported. Don't ask me why, but the first serviceperson that mentioned this was able to fix all my Yaris problems..

Don't expect many here to actually know about these factory/dealership problems, but the first time you mention "seat covers", get ready for an 8 page thread.
Thanks for that info.. YOu ought to send that information onto toyota so the delivery people will wise up and not hurt the cars.