Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-26-2009, 06:46 PM   #1
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
HELP, WONT START!!

My car makes the clicking sound but wont start. Headlights are dim too. I take very good care of it and it's garaged too. Only 16k miles and it's an automatic. Battery looks filled and my engine compartment is very clean. The little grey cover thingy on the wired end of the starter is a little wiggly but thats all I can see. Any ideas? Thanks
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 06:48 PM   #2
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Usually that means a run down battery. If you've got jumper cables and another battery at hand, try jumping it, or try hooking a charger to it overnight and see what happens. If neither works, you're in the market for a battery.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 07:05 PM   #3
Sidicas

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Yup, either the battery is dead or the battery is bad..

If it's below freezing in your garage, take your battery inside and hook it up to a car battery charger.. If it's dead and it gets cold, it WILL freeze and then you won't be able to charge it.

If it's not so bad, you might be able to charge it while it's in the car..
Sidicas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 08:31 PM   #4
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Sounds like the battery is weak.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 09:20 PM   #5
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Yeah, sometimes batteries go prematurely. A cell may go. May be able to replace it under warranty. Otherwise, the Yaris always starts.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 09:44 PM   #6
birdman

Funny thing is it nearly did the same thing a few months ago when it barely had enough juice to start the car. The car has been starting perfectly since. I ended up getting a jump tonight and drove it for 1/2 an hour before I parked it at a store. When I got back in it started right up and once again until I returned home for the night. I cant imagine what's drawing down the battery enough so that it only does this occasionally? It's got plenty of warranty left.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:21 PM   #7
Ryu

Drives: Copper Orange Mica Yaris
Little tip I can offer is to turn off everything that needs electricity before you turn on your engine, ie stereo or some other accessory you are using it earlier, it will cause less drain for the battery to start the car.

Like others mention, sounds like the battery is weak.
Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:22 PM   #8
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
check you have not left the internal light on , or the rear hatch might not be closed properly , leaving that light on .
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:27 AM   #9
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
The negative terminal on the batt will get corroded and will cause battery not to charge, happened to me this morning, cleaned it worked fine. Before it would need a jump everytime to start.

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:27 AM   #10
Kal-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman View Post
Funny thing is it nearly did the same thing a few months ago when it barely had enough juice to start the car. The car has been starting perfectly since. I ended up getting a jump tonight and drove it for 1/2 an hour before I parked it at a store. When I got back in it started right up and once again until I returned home for the night. I cant imagine what's drawing down the battery enough so that it only does this occasionally? It's got plenty of warranty left.
A shop can run a quick test on itand even tell you what the issue is. To me, it sound's like a dead cell (which they can determine). Car batteries generally have 6 cells. If one dies, you begin to see this inconsistency where most of the time it's fine, then suddenly it's weak. Once cold weather hits though, expect it to be consistently dead.

This just happened for me recently. My '07, at about 65,000 miles, needed a battery replacement early (should last longer than 4 years). It was checked earlier at under 60K and I was told that I had a dead cell even though I hadn't noticed any issues. It was summer however and by the time winter approached, jump starting started to be required which gets annoying really quick.

Headed to Wal*Mart and got a battery for a cool $65 and threw it in myself in 3 minutes.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:10 AM   #11
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Kinda weird lots of people have been having battery issues lately. When i get in to work on monday im going to load test my battery and see what the total amperage is left after driving for a year. Maybe these only have a 2 year lifespan.

Looks like its a good time for you to upgrade to a lightweight battery.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 01:20 AM   #12
birdman

From the sounds of it, a faulty battery cell might just be the culprit. Didn't leave anything open or on except its security systems blinking light like I usually do. There is no terminal corrosion or loose connections I can see. I will take it to the dealership and see what they say.
If they cant find anything wrong then I'll have to do something out of pocket. I guess that means I'd have to buy a new battery. I wonder how much it would cost from the dealership?
Thanks for all the insight. The YarisWorld community rocks!

Last edited by birdman; 12-27-2009 at 01:21 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-27-2009, 01:23 AM   #13
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
for me (8 month old yaris) it has already failed to be charged twice, both times being do to negative terminal corrosion, (it looks like green power) Maybe cuz of the weather i have here, near the ocean.

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 01:29 AM   #14
birdman

Ryu, Your LB is sweet!
Old 12-27-2009, 02:24 AM   #15
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezhacker1 View Post
for me (8 month old yaris) it has already failed to be charged twice, both times being do to negative terminal corrosion, (it looks like green power) Maybe cuz of the weather i have here, near the ocean.
I can't think of the product name, but there is a reddish spray you can
put on the terminals to help prevent corrosion. In the past, I have used
those little felt pads which worked pretty well, too.
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:44 AM   #16
Kal-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman View Post
From the sounds of it, a faulty battery cell might just be the culprit. Didn't leave anything open or on except its security systems blinking light like I usually do. There is no terminal corrosion or loose connections I can see. I will take it to the dealership and see what they say.
If they cant find anything wrong then I'll have to do something out of pocket. I guess that means I'd have to buy a new battery. I wonder how much it would cost from the dealership?
Thanks for all the insight. The YarisWorld community rocks!
If you can operate a wrench, by a battery from Wal*Mart or someplace affordable that sells batteries and do it yourself. It literally takes less than 5 minutes.

The stealership will charge you more than double for a 3 minute job. Like I said earlier, I got a battery for $65 at Wal Mart. The dealer will be over $120.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:11 PM   #17
Sidicas

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1NZYaris1 View Post
check you have not left the internal light on , or the rear hatch might not be closed properly , leaving that light on .
The dome light in the Yaris goes through the ECU.. It shuts off automatically after 20 minutes no matter what..

Instead of paying money to have the dealer check the battery, just yank the battery out and take it down to Advance Auto parts.. Advance Auto Parts will check it for free..
Sidicas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 02:34 PM   #18
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
My stock battery quit holding a charge after 5,167 miles. I rid myself of the headache by getting a Napa Legend 7535 and have been fine since. I didn't bother going back to the dealer because I didn't need the hassle at 0 deg F. Not impressed with the oem battery-from day one the oem was weaker than the drinks at a church social. 75 bucks is cheap insurance.

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote