Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-26-2010, 01:10 PM   #37
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Would it be illegal to come to the US, buy a new Yaris, then drive back across the border?
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:33 PM   #38
YarisBC

Drives: 2010 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Zaius View Post
^^^ coherent much?

@YarisBC: you can quote/reply multiple messages by using the little "+ toggle button next to the quote button.
Yes, and thanks for the tip, I didn't know about the multi- quote button. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hickman11 View Post
Would it be illegal to come to the US, buy a new Yaris, then drive back across the border?
Its legal but I wouldn't save much if anything. I would have to lose on the exchange rate, the duty and still pay the taxes. Only time its really worth while on a new car, is if you find someone desperate. Or if the Can. dollar is worth more then US. dollar, which isn't often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu View Post
Just a thought, do you change out the OZ 17" Super Turismo WRC rims from dealership?
If yes, make sure you get your stock RS wheel back and don't let them take it, at least you can sell it to cover a bit of your cost.

Pricewise, I think if you are willing to go for different muffler of any kind it will save around $200-300 there but not TRD muffler though. Same as non-TRD shock can save you around $600 something.

Another suggestion to save labour cost is to buy those shock and spring, bring them to some mechanic to install for you for $50 per hour labour, this move will also save you some money.

I know you like TRD stuff, those stuff usually cost a bit more than aftermarket. If that is what you like just stick with your plan.

The cost of tire seems a bit a on the high side, is there any other nice comparable tire with lower cost?

All those are what I can think of to save you some cost.
I get all the parts that are swapped out, not sure how much I'll be able to sell stock parts for though.

I asked today about the double install charge on the suspension install, I'll let you know when they get back to me, one of the charges should be wiped off.

As for the rubber, I went to KalTire today and got a price about 700 dollars cheaper than what the dealership gave me. They also made a suggestion for different tires, they said I would be way happier with Nitto Neo Gens instead. I guess they are an ultra high performace all season tire designed for lowered cars. They are also less money. http://www.nittotire.com/#index.tire.neogen

I already have winter radials for the stock RS rims.
YarisBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:25 PM   #39
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisBC View Post
Post a link for a cheaper price on any of the parts and I'll take it with me to the dealer. I could find the TRD Yaris Exhaust system for around 350 U.S for the Sedan, but not the 5dr RS.

I noticed the double charge on the suspension, I'll get them to fix that install price.

The car isn't here yet and nothing has been installed. If there are lower TRD part prices I can simply buy from that source and ship the dealer stuff back.

I'm not interested in non TRD parts. Trying to convince a TRD fan to go with something else is like trying to convince your fiance the fake engagement ring you got her is just is good. It may look the same and server the same function, but it's not the same thing.
man, i totally wrote out a long-ish response with links to cheaper parts... got lost in limbo

trd parts are always made by other manufacturers. check those "trd" springs they put on your car....i guarantee you they say eibach on them. how do i know? i picked up some toyota canada lower springs.....better known as eibach prokits.

there are better, cheaper options than being a TRD whore. but if you want to over pay so you can tell people you have TRD stuff, i won't stop you. just seems to me youre overpaying for the same parts you could buy elsewhere for about 30% less.

don't get too bitter at the community here by they're/our repsonses, we're just trying to help you out.

good luck w/ the purchase
Old 01-26-2010, 02:26 PM   #40
thebarber
daily driver

oh, and the stock parts are worth just about nothing...(if you're thinkin of selling them)

you're better off holding onto them and going back to stock if you ever sell your yaris
Old 01-26-2010, 03:24 PM   #41
b_hickman11

Quote:
Yes, and thanks for the tip, I didn't know about the multi- quote button. lol

Its legal but I wouldn't save much if anything. I would have to lose on the exchange rate, the duty and still pay the taxes. Only time its really worth while on a new car, is if you find someone desperate. Or if the Can. dollar is worth more then US. dollar, which isn't often.

I get all the parts that are swapped out, not sure how much I'll be able to sell stock parts for though.

I asked today about the double install charge on the suspension install, I'll let you know when they get back to me, one of the charges should be wiped off.

As for the rubber, I went to KalTire today and got a price about 700 dollars cheaper than what the dealership gave me. They also made a suggestion for different tires, they said I would be way happier with Nitto Neo Gens instead. I guess they are an ultra high performace all season tire designed for lowered cars. They are also less money. http://www.nittotire.com/#index.tire.neogen

I already have winter radials for the stock RS rims.
So how much money in USD is your Yaris going to cost you in Canada?
Translate it for us because you have lead most people on this thread to believe that you are buying a Yaris for $30,000 in USD.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:41 PM   #42
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
It's close... exchange rate right now is hovering around 94¢. So $30k CDN ~= $28.2k USD.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:37 PM   #43
YarisBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
man, i totally wrote out a long-ish response with links to cheaper parts... got lost in limbo

trd parts are always made by other manufacturers. check those "trd" springs they put on your car....i guarantee you they say eibach on them. how do i know? i picked up some toyota canada lower springs.....better known as eibach prokits.

there are better, cheaper options than being a TRD whore. but if you want to over pay so you can tell people you have TRD stuff, i won't stop you. just seems to me youre overpaying for the same parts you could buy elsewhere for about 30% less.

don't get too bitter at the community here by they're/our repsonses, we're just trying to help you out.

good luck w/ the purchase
I'm not bitter what so ever with the community and appreciate the help. I'm just trying to explain why someone would be so stupid as to spend the extra cash. I think you got the wrong feeling from my post, I don't get bitter, or grief anyone, which is probably why I'm not getting a very good deal on this car lol.

I have had good experiences with TRD. I have TRD stuff that is 20 years old, and its as good as when it was bought. MY SARD stuff, HKS abd Blitz has caused me some problems. TRD seems to carry their product lines longer compared to everyone else. Some examples of problems I've had with other brands just this year is.

My car was tuned to use the SARD onboard, which is in Japanese. I cant find a proper wiring manual anywhere for it. The part hasn't been made since the 90's and has caused me some grief. I got screwing with it and turned my cut off back on somehow, and now my car will only get to 220 then the fuel cut kicks in.

I have a HKS power exhaust system, and I damaged the silencer. I couldn't find a replacement part for it anywhere. So now I have an ugly stupid weld across it to keep it from flapping.

There is a crack on my -SBC static boost/controller box. Blitz stopped making this forever ago, and I cant find a replacement for it anywhere. I'll have to replace the entire thing this summer.

I've got a high end adjustable suspension and the front shocks are spent. I haven't been able to find a non ridicules replacement for them yet.

I've got the CT26 with the ceramic parts in it made for the RC models. Toyota doesn't make a proper seal kit for it, but TRD still does. Which is great because my seals are spent.

So in my experience performance parts are good and fun until they break, or time has gone by. If your planning on keeping your car for a decade or more, expect to completely replace worn out parts that are made by smaller companies. But like I said that's just my experience, everyone makes lemons.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:13 PM   #44
thebarber
daily driver

the new TRD isn't like the old TRD, unfortunately. The TRD front sway bar on my matrix XRS (made by hotchkis) was nice enough to prematurely wear out my steering rack around the 75000km mark...

though the toyota canada lowering springs (aka eibach prokits) on my yaris for the winter are as nice as the prokits i had on my xrs too...
Old 01-26-2010, 10:32 PM   #45
b_hickman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Zaius View Post
It's close... exchange rate right now is hovering around 94¢. So $30k CDN ~= $28.2k USD.
I'm not a Math major but buying the Yaris in the US and driving it back to Canada would save you at least $4000 on the car alone and probably $2000 on the parts and labor. But you stated that is a lot of money to you so I guess if you really lie throwing away $6000+ then go ahead. At least we know Toyota will stay in business!
Old 01-27-2010, 12:17 AM   #46
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
Quote:
I'm not a Math major but buying the Yaris in the US and driving it back to Canada would save you at least $4000 on the car alone and probably $2000 on the parts and labor. But you stated that is a lot of money to you so I guess if you really lie throwing away $6000+ then go ahead. At least we know Toyota will stay in business!
I've heard of people doing this. Happens more the closer our dollar gets to parity. But I'm sure there are other issues (import duties, warranty claims, hassle, etc.) to take into account.

Meh... I sprung for the fully loaded 5-door RS back in 2005 before it even came out... $23k (CDN!) was my final sticker price. And I only had lowering springs! But I didn't buy it b/c it was cheap... I bought it because it was small and awesome!
Old 01-27-2010, 12:31 AM   #47
upgradedyaris

Drives: Yaris & Supra
Quote:
2010 Yaris Hatchback 5 Door LE with Convenience Package

2010 Yaris Hatchback 5-Door RS

Savings of 2420

For $2420 you get

RS body kit.( I really like the RS body kit but I think a regular Yaris looks just as good lowered with nice rims.)

The way better looking darker interior with the sport seats. I really don't like the material on the regular yaris seats, looks like an old womans panty hose.

6 disk CD changer with ipod jack. I don't care much about the 6 cd thing, but the ipod jack is important to me.

Leather wrapped steering wheel

RS grille badge lol

Power/Remote heated mirrors.

15 inch aluminum ally wheels

Vehicle Stability Control. This is a pretty big deal for winter driving. But now that I think about it, I don't think TC will go well with a supercharger if I decide on getting one? Anyone running a charged Yaris with TC?

I don't think thats really to bad for 2500 dollars. A decent set of seats, rails and sliders will put you back $1200 to $2500 alone.
I have the power mirrors, stability control and fogs as well AND I-pod hook up too. ;) I lowered mine and added tinted windows and the window visors. I paid more than 17 for mine. It was 21 out the door and it's all paid in full. :) I added an extended warranty for the extra 1500 because I drive it a lot. It has over 80,000 in 2 years now. (all highway)

I also added (as mentioned) some goodies that doesn't come from factory. Mine is now the DS model. My name :D

No matter, if you're happy with your purchase, that's all that matters.
upgradedyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:28 PM   #48
YarisBC

An update on the car this week. BTW thanks yarisworld members for the help so far.

About the tires, rims and install price quote I got from them. They wanted 1633 for the tires, and 1064 for the rims, plus 100 for install. I went down to Kaltire and got pricing from them, the tires are 694, the rims are 1542, and the install is 94 but includes free rotations with their warranty.

I asked the dealer about the tire price difference and he called back and told me that they confused the rim price with the tire price. I wonder what would of happened if this wasn't caught. Surely I would of been charged full price for the rims, but the tire price difference may of been missed in the final deal.

Thing is, that the tires I want are only available from KAltire, which means that dealership was using them anyways and jacking the cost on me. So I told them that I'm just going to go to Kaltire myself.
The dealer didn't sound pleased and told me there was going to be restocking fees, I didn't respond to that comment. Instead I went to Kaltire and spoke with the manager about restocking fees, and he told me that there won't be any, and to call him back if they try to charge me. IF they try to charge me restocking fees, then they basically have made them up and are trying to steal money from me.

Another install fee they are charging me is for the suspension springs. I'm already paying to have shocks installed, why would I have to pay for the coils when they slide over the shocks as they are installed. The dealer tried to explain to me why but he doesn't have a clue, so I'll need to talk to their shop boss to see why. I'll keep you guys posted.

It's going to be nice to finnally have this car and to be done with this dealership.

Oh, I checked into the savings if I buy a new Yaris from the US and bring it up, and after fees and duty there is only a few hundred dollars in savings.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:41 PM   #49
thebarber
daily driver

your dealer sounds shady.

for the spring/shock thing, there is NO way to put in the new shocks/strurs without having to replace the springs. NONE. the front is a macpherson setup, so they'd have to come apart to replace the struts. in the rear, the spring and shock are separate, yes, but if you have it on a lift (which they will) once you undo the bottom bolt of the shock, the torsion bar will open all the way and the oem spring will literally fall out. i had mine on jackstands and it did that when i put my coilovers on.

id be seriously weary of ANYTHING this dealer does for you...they really seem likely they're over charging you any which way they can.....whether or not you've been going there for 15 years....

buyer beware
Old 02-17-2010, 02:37 PM   #50
YarisBC

An update...

The guaranteed, official, for sure no excuses date is Feb 20. They called me last week and said it would be ready for pickup today.

This morning I was suppose to pick up this car, but the dealership called me with another delay.

They ordered the wrong exhaust, even though I mentioned to them about making sure to get the hatch and not the sedan exhaust. So I told them don't worry about it, I'll do it myself. I told them I'll come get the car.

They called me back 20 minutes later and the TRD Rally Spoiler wont fit......

The car came with a RS spoiler, and the holes on the top of the hatch are a couple inches further out.

They wanted to know if I want the car with the holes exposed...... Like who the hell would want a "new" car with holes drilled in it?

I called the manager and spoke with him, he is trying to convince me to take the car with the RS spoiler on it. Told me it will cost 1100 dollars to put the Rally one on. They sent me pictures of the spoilers side by side.

Now, there isn't that much of a difference between the RS and the Rally spoiler, but I'm just sick and tired of this deal, and I don't want to make any more comprises. To someone like me that has spent the extra cash, and a lot of it, to get what I want, not having that spoiler is a big deal.

Now something that has really pissed me off. When I was talking to their manager, the shop called and left a message on my phone, saying there won't be any problems and I can come get the car Friday.

This leaves me wondering if they were going to put the RS spoiler back on, and hope I didn't notice, and charge me the $410 for the rally spoiler that I wouldn't be getting.

I already told them I don't want the car without the rally spoiler this morning, and that he needs to get me a new hatch for the car. So did they seriously think that in a day that they could fill the holes on that hatch, repaint it and install the proper spoiler? And why would I want a new car with holes drilled in it?

It's not the dealerships fault that the car took months to come, car was officially ordered 3rd week of November. And, its not their fault the RS holes won't fit the official Toyota accessory Rally Spoiler. And yah they made some mistakes with the pricing and up-charging of parts that would of cost me hundreds of dollars.

But what's really bothering me is I think they knew all along how much time was required to get the car. And the fact they were going to put that RS spoiler back on and hope I didn't notice.That's just completely dishonest.

I'm waiting for the manager to call me back, and we will see how this ends, but I want a new hatch with the rally spoiler on it, ready by Feb 20th as promised. Or a huge price reduction. I hate causing people grief but enough is enough, if I wanted a compromised car then I would of bought used or straight off the lot.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:10 PM   #51
thebarber
daily driver

you'd better get both spoiler in-hand when you pick up that car

sorry to hear things are going sideways...
Old 02-17-2010, 10:33 PM   #52
b_hickman11

How was the dealer suppose to know when your car was going to come in? They didn't send your order over seas and they didn't tell Toyota to build it to your specs. Once again, you were very picky in your order which is why it took so long to come in and then you basically are replacing every part on the car with a TRD part(which by the way is designed to be added to a car that doesn't already have that specific part not replace the OEM). If I was your dealer I would tell you that you could take the Yaris as is or you can take your business elsewhere.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:54 PM   #53
YarisBC

Quote:
How was the dealer suppose to know when your car was going to come in? They didn't send your order over seas and they didn't tell Toyota to build it to your specs. Once again, you were very picky in your order which is why it took so long to come in and then you basically are replacing every part on the car with a TRD part(which by the way is designed to be added to a car that doesn't already have that specific part not replace the OEM). If I was your dealer I would tell you that you could take the Yaris as is or you can take your business elsewhere.
They told me a certain date, and pushed it back 4 times, Toyota's fault not the dealer. Thing is that other dealerships I called had a better idea of when the car was coming in, they said end of Feb. I don't know if they gave me a bogus date or if it was an honest mistake.

I wasn't that picky, I compromised on the color for starters, and the pickup times multiple times, I've been very patient. I payed full price for everything, didn't ask for any deals or toss ins, didn't barter, haven't been rude in any way.

As for the parts, I offered to buy them myself and bring them in, but instead they offered to do it, and of course make some money from it. That's a risk that they took on, and need to make sure it's done right.

They told me that they are ordering the car for me from JAPAN and that's why the wait took so long. Sales Rep told me that, the rep locating the car told me that, and the sales manager also told me that today. Once again how accurate is this, I don't know.

There was mistakes in the pricing etc, were they honest mistakes, yah probably, but I probably would have been charged for them honest or not. I'm glad I checked into them or who knows....

So I'm willing to accept there was some honest mistakes by the dealership, mainly small ones, which are expected on a custom car. But, Toyota has failed big time with the shipping dates and the spoiler etc. So I've asked for some compensation, why should I, or even the dealer, have to pay for the mistakes toyota made?

I payed top dollar to get what I asked for, it didn't happen, so in my opinion Toyota should compensate me, and the dealer for the mistakes. People that don't barter price and have extended waiting time for something, should get the gold service treatment, not pushed around.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:49 PM   #54
b_hickman11

Quote:
They told me a certain date, and pushed it back 4 times, Toyota's fault not the dealer. Thing is that other dealerships I called had a better idea of when the car was coming in, they said end of Feb. I don't know if they gave me a bogus date or if it was an honest mistake.

I wasn't that picky, I compromised on the color for starters, and the pickup times multiple times, I've been very patient. I payed full price for everything, didn't ask for any deals or toss ins, didn't barter, haven't been rude in any way.

As for the parts, I offered to buy them myself and bring them in, but instead they offered to do it, and of course make some money from it. That's a risk that they took on, and need to make sure it's done right.

They told me that they are ordering the car for me from JAPAN and that's why the wait took so long. Sales Rep told me that, the rep locating the car told me that, and the sales manager also told me that today. Once again how accurate is this, I don't know.

There was mistakes in the pricing etc, were they honest mistakes, yah probably, but I probably would have been charged for them honest or not. I'm glad I checked into them or who knows....

So I'm willing to accept there was some honest mistakes by the dealership, mainly small ones, which are expected on a custom car. But, Toyota has failed big time with the shipping dates and the spoiler etc. So I've asked for some compensation, why should I, or even the dealer, have to pay for the mistakes toyota made?

I payed top dollar to get what I asked for, it didn't happen, so in my opinion Toyota should compensate me, and the dealer for the mistakes. People that don't barter price and have extended waiting time for something, should get the gold service treatment, not pushed around.
First of all you wanted an RS which is very picky. You automatically narrowed done your Yaris choice from 100% all the way down to less than 5%. The dealer was wrong to tell you a specific date when it will come in unless they provide you with the VIN. If they would have said it is going to be in on this date and they gave you the VIN, you can call Toyota and have it tracked. No dealer can tell you when the car will be in until the regional dist calls them and tells the dealer that there was a match in the computer.

Second you order the parts from someone else and not from the dealer. Just because they are TRD parts doesn't mean they are going to fit like OEM parts and it also doesn't mean the dealer knows exactly how the install process will go. The only way they would have known how your little wing was going to fit is if they had installed one before(which they probably haven't) TRD parts are basically aftermarket parts that are "sponsored" by Toyota.

When you order a car from Toyota the order does not go to Japan. It is simply put into a compter. When Japan builds a car they put the specs into a computer also. If the car they put in matches your order that your dealer put in, it will send a message to Japan to direct that shipment to your private dist and then to your local dealer. There is no such thing as a special order with Toyota.