Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-06-2014, 03:38 PM   #1
ajkochev74

Drives: Yaris
New to Yaris - Some Questions

Possibly going to be getting a 2007 Yaris with 163K on it. Being bought from a reputable dealer.
Had my brother a 30+ years mechanic look over the car. It was amazing what he found, from small things like slight discoloration here and there to new or scratched bolts he could tell what had been removed or worked on recently. It had been repainted sometime recently and the driver side front fender has been replaced for cosmetic reasons. Carfax shows that the oil and service was changed at a dealership for most of its life. Going to be getting the extended warranty as well. Peace of mind for me for another 100K miles.

Anyway, what I want to know is this:

1. 5w-30 oil listed on the oil cap, Can I use Synthetic? If I don't know if regular or synthetic is in there now can I start making the move to Synthetic? Can I mix the two if I need to top off and eventually do an oil change to synthetic without harming the engine?
2. What else should I look for before taking the plunge?

Had a 97 Tercel until this year when the body was rusting out around the windshield so much I couldn't get it replaced without body work needing done. I loved that car and feel that the Yaris model evolved somewhat from the Tercel. Feeling really good about getting a Yaris so far.
ajkochev74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 04:58 PM   #2
wufai

Drives: Silver Yaris Sedan (4A)
Welcome to Yarisworld! I drive a 07 Yaris as well. Hope I can help!

1. You can use Synthetic anytime, doesn't matter what type to oil your engine currently have, you can mix them during an oil change. Use 5-30W if the oil cap says so.
2. I think the most important thing is if your mechanic says its good its good. My 07 yaris (135K km) just underwent a major maintainence overhual, mind you nothing is broken but I figure I would replace soon to be worn out parts for peace of mind, swapped a battery, belt, sparkplugs, air filter, front tire links, brakes etc. Now the yaris drives as new as the first day I purchased it.

My mechanic is astoinished my total repair bill is so low....
wufai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 06:15 PM   #3
sheekeebut
Minimalist

Drives: 07 silver sedan
Sedan or hatch?
sheekeebut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:50 PM   #4
ajkochev74

Drives: Yaris
Sedan
ajkochev74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:58 AM   #5
sheekeebut
Minimalist

Awesome. If it was built anything like my 07 sedan, you'll be in good hands (wheels?).
Old 10-07-2014, 07:08 PM   #6
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Most oils that call themselves synthetic really are hybrid mixes and can be mixed. Real synthetics are totally different things and cannot be mixed with dino oil.

Look for water pump failure, showing up as pink gunk in the engine bay. The repainting is not a surprise as Yaris paint stinks and some colors had the paint actually flake off of relatively new cars.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:32 PM   #7
sheekeebut
Minimalist

But oil labeled "full synthetic" should mix just fine with conventional, should it not?