Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-23-2006, 11:01 AM   #1
iLikeVitz

Drives: '03 Hyundai Tiburon GTV6 Black
Question Confused...vitz, yaris

vitz in Japan = echo in the U.S.

and

yaris = new echo in the U.S. but with 3 doors instead right?

thanks
iLikeVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 11:06 AM   #2
Chaad32

Drives: 2007 Liftback
The echo is no longer made in the US, so Vitz in Japan = Yaris in US (granted the Vitz is a 5 door and the Yaris is a 3 door). This is how I see it at least. Please correct me if I'm wrong
Floor mats, Weathertech vent visors
Chaad32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 11:30 AM   #3
Dylanby

Drives: RS 5-DR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaad32
The echo is no longer made in the US, so Vitz in Japan = Yaris in US (granted the Vitz is a 5 door and the Yaris is a 3 door). This is how I see it at least. Please correct me if I'm wrong
The Yaris comes in 3 & 5 door models. Geographically un/available, depending on where you live. For example, Canada & Europe get both models.
Dylanby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 11:40 AM   #4
Chaad32

True....sorry about the confusion
Old 07-23-2006, 01:26 PM   #5
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLikeVitz
vitz in Japan = echo in the U.S.

and

yaris = new echo in the U.S. but with 3 doors instead right?

thanks

I know echo_hrs knows this stuff really well but I'll give it shot

Just an OVERVIEW...
The Vitz is the JDM equivelant of the Yaris HATCH (NOT sedan)...which was sold (Yaris hatch) in other parts of the world excluding N/A.

The Platz is the JDM equivelant of the N/A ECHO sedan-1st gen

Although the ECHO name (to my knowledge) was only used in the N/A market and Austrailan and Oceanic markets...where's the same car was sold else where but under the Yaris name-if that makes sense?

Then in Canada since small cars are more popular than the U.S. (who would have guessed ) Toyota Canada decided to bring over the ECHO hatch which in turn is a rebadge Vitz/Yaris just under the ECHO name for two year model run-2004/2005. They dropped the ECHO/Platz-2 door for 2004, but still kept the ECHO sedan 4-door till the end of 2005 although production was limited cause by that time the Yaris hatch was and still is on fire!! (sales).

Then Comes the 2 gen Vitz-early 2005
That is sold under the Yaris name in other places
The Yaris hatch replaces the ECHO hatch in Canada fall of 2005 which I believe they are the first market outside of Japan to recieve the new second gen Yaris. Also the sedan varient of the Toyota ECHO in Canada is discontiuned for the 2006 model year.

By this time the USDM ECHO is/was discontinued so for awhile until spring of 2006 Toyota didn't have a model under the Corolla.

The Platz as mentioned before was discontiuned and replaced by the JDM Toyota Belta.
The Belta sedan is sold as the Yaris sedan in the U.S.
To coincide with the U.S. release Toyota decided to give the 2006 Yaris hatch in Canada a short run and was replaced by the 2007 model (same thing, just a carry over) in the spring of this year as well as the sedan like the U.S.

And the 2 gen Vitz is sold here as the Yaris hatch.
So the name Yaris isn't new with the rest of the world (or most of it)
but it is new to the N/A market.

Like mentioned before the options, features are relative based on geographical location and market wise. So for example Canadian Yarii have more goodies than we do and they have the 5-door!!! Of course Japan and Europe and I'm sure other places have even more goodies but you have to remember Americans aren't going to buy a 25k plus sub-compact-generally speaking. Oh well! But as time goes on, Toyota might change their mind for the U.S. market, it depends on what happends.
Wow! I probably just complicated things and wasted your time...that's what I'm here for
Old 07-23-2006, 01:57 PM   #6
Chaad32

Good info....thanks ECHOknight2000
Old 07-24-2006, 12:26 PM   #7
iLikeVitz

Drives: '03 Hyundai Tiburon GTV6 Black
thanks for the info guys...

now what are all the trim levels of Yaris? U.S. only have the regular Yaris liftback but other countries get RS version with a bigger engine right? what other trim levels are there besides the RS?
iLikeVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 12:33 PM   #8
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
I can answer part of that I believe....the N/A Yaris has only one powerplant which is the 1NZ 1.5litre 106 HP motor with 103 ftlbs torque at 4200.....correct? The RS is the Sport package which in the US is the S model however I am not sure if there is an S model for the hatch?

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 01:52 PM   #9
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_hrs
Succession:

JDM Vitz Gen 1 = No North American Equivalent

JDM Vitz Gen 1 Facelift = Canada Echo HB,

JDM Vitz Gen 2 (Released in Japan February 2005) = Current North American Yaris HB (Fall 2005 Canada/Spring 2006 USA)

JDM Gen 1 Platz = North American Echo Sedan/Coupe

JDM Gen 1 Belta = North American Yaris Sedan

History of the NCP Chassis Code:

Vitz (Yaris, Platz, Echo)(1st Gen) - NCP10, NCP12, NCP13, NCP15, NCP16
Funcargo - NCP20, NCP21, NCP25
bB (xB)(1st Gen) - NCP30, NCP31, NCP35
Succeed - NCP58, NCP59
Ist (xA) - NCP60, NCP61, NCP65
Will Cypha - NCP70, NCP75
Sienta - NCP81, NCP85
Vitz (Yaris) (2nd Gen) - NCP91, NCP95
Belta (Yaris Sedan) - NCP93, NCP96
Ractis - NCP100, NCP105

Cheers

Damn it!! You could probably smell this forum a mile away and had to take the thunder away from me huh?? Making me look bad!!
Great info!
Old 07-24-2006, 02:00 PM   #10
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv
I can answer part of that I believe....the N/A Yaris has only one powerplant which is the 1NZ 1.5litre 106 HP motor with 103 ftlbs torque at 4200.....correct? The RS is the Sport package which in the US is the S model however I am not sure if there is an S model for the hatch?

You are correct...N/A gets the top of line 1.5ltr offered in the Yaris hatch and sedan...other countries have this one as an option and they offer 1.0, 1.3ltr desiels?? Probably other configurations depending on geograpical location-I'm sure echo_hrs can confirm this.

As far as bigger engine, the only concept was the 1.8ltr Yaris T-Sport at the Geneva show, but I've been hearing reports that it has the green light??

The RS applies to the hatch only (to my knowledge) and is not offered here (U.S.), its offered in Canada (oh sure they get it ) and I think other places too. The "S" only applies to the USDM Yaris sedan...the hatch I believe really doesn't have different trims unless you count the different package options that Toyota offers as "trims" example, base (rare), convience (most that are coming in) and power package (rare)-but nothing like LE, CE, XLE etc-that I know of...think the only trims for the Yaris sedan (that are marked on the car) or LE and S???, I guess the different packages are technically the different trims as far as features how ever you want to see it. Enough of me talking out of my butt.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:24 PM   #11
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
More into that I found at Answer.com:

http://www.answers.com/topic/toyota-belta

After reading this maybe I need to find a Belta enthusiast site too???

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote