Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-11-2006, 06:36 PM   #1
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Yaris Curb Weight, difference LB vs Sedan

Hey any body have the Curb Weight data for the LB and the Sedan???

I was looking for that information on the internet and I found that the LB is actually a few pounds heavier than the sedan. That just doesn't make sence to me.

This is what I found:

LB / MT 2290 lbs
LB / AT 2335 lbs

Sedan / MT 2288 lbs
Sedan / AT 2321 lbs

Something else that doesn't make sence. If you calculate the extra Weight added by the AT, it adds 33 lbs to the sedan and 45 lbs to the LB.

Any comments?
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 07:17 PM   #2
eco

Drives: 2007 Black Yaris sedan
Wow,I got the lighter car,ROTFLMAO.If thats true,thats really weird.
eco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 07:30 PM   #3
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
The curb weights (US versions) are shown in this thread:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16

Go to the last page of the Technical Specifications List in Post No. 2 there and you will find that the curb weights of the sedan and the LB are the same. That applies to both the manual and automatic models.
The specifications there are said to be preliminary though (see the upper right corner of the said page).
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 07:37 PM   #4
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Thanks for the info... But any way, It doesn't seem like both version would weight the same. That's odd.

It's too bad that Toyota releases such thing as a preliminary spec. I mean, how hard is for them to just weight the cars???
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 08:25 PM   #5
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
You are welcome! Now I have these links to the specifications of the Canadian versions:
http://www.toyota.ca/cgi-bin/WebObje...40e%2ehtml
http://www.toyota.ca/cgi-bin/WebObje...126040e%2ehtml
These pages are from Toyota's Canadian website. The weights are there, and I believe that they are not preliminary. The figures do show that the sedan and the HB have different curb weights.
If one happens to have a hatchback, it would appear that whether one's car is heavier than a sedan depends on what trim one has. The lightest HB has a curb weight of only 2,300 lb and the heaviest, 2,385 lb. The lightest sedan's curb weight is 2,315 lb and the heaviest, 2,348 lb.
I am not sure but I guess you may be able to find similar information on Toyota's websites for other countries.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 08:42 PM   #6
BMGYaris

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatchback
so bassically, they are the same, when you consider the varying weights of all the people driving. but whre is that weight at respectively? does the hatchback have more weight in the rear compared to the sedan? or more in the front?
BMGYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 09:44 PM   #7
hystria

Drives: 2007 Orange Yaris Hb 3Drs
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMGYaris View Post
so bassically, they are the same, when you consider the varying weights of all the people driving. but whre is that weight at respectively? does the hatchback have more weight in the rear compared to the sedan? or more in the front?

The Sedan's roof is lower (the distance between roof and floor) than the HB's. So there's a weight difference. Otherwise, the Sedan has more weight in the rear because of the trunk. On the lowering springs specs the Sedan lowers 0.1" FR./ 0.3" RR. more than the HB - for the same spring.
hystria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 10:05 PM   #8
BMGYaris

so that means that the hb would have better grip or something? and handle better going up steep hills and terrain? because the FWD combined with additional weight up front? but it would also be easier to EDIT: SPIN OUT:)? BUT most importantly, i have worried about moving up mountains and stuff? anybody know if there is an incline at which we would not have traction due to lack of front weight? or at which the HB woudl be better than a sedan traveling uphill?

Last edited by BMGYaris; 12-11-2006 at 10:52 PM.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:25 PM   #9
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:
but it would also be easier to fishtail in?
Its pretty rare and hard for a FWD car to fishtail, that's mostly associated with RWD. I guess if you go around a corner really fast you can bring up the rear and that will spin you out or you will lose control.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:22 PM   #10
hystria

Despite the the fact that the HB is lighter, there should be no difference going uphill. However, the sedan might be more stable and more comfortable on highway because of the extended wheelbase. It also has more roll than the HB. Go Sedan for lots of highway, and HB for city driving. Careful with Sedan if you are a tall person - the roof is lower.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:58 PM   #11
BMGYaris

WELL i was kind of saying that when you have something that weighs 2,300 pounds 50 pounds isnt really going to have any affect for regular driving...i mean if you are at the track and every .01 seconds count, sure it matters...but not much for me. I was wondering though, if the hatch back had a significatly greater weight in the front, or if the difference in front to rear weight ratios were small enough to be negligable(sp?) between the two models. I did not understand the spring things mentioned above, if somone wanted to explain how that reflects on the percentage weight in front and rear and the difference between the two that woudl be awesome.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:22 AM   #12
littletegls
4m a 92 teg 2 a 07 yaris

Drives: 92 acura integra ls, 07 yaris
thats the first thing i looked into before i bought the car, i bought the sedan because it was lighter.
littletegls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 08:13 AM   #13
Ran Kizama
That Anime Guy

Drives: 5-Speed Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Ran Kizama Send a message via MSN to Ran Kizama
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECHOKnight2000 View Post
Its pretty rare and hard for a FWD car to fishtail, that's mostly associated with RWD. I guess if you go around a corner really fast you can bring up the rear and that will spin you out or you will lose control.
If I tackle a corner too hard, my liftback will kick the rear end out in a heartbeat. There's no weight in the back and it still has stock struts so yeah...not good on a top-heavy car.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:47 AM   #14
hystria

Quote:
WELL i was kind of saying that when you have something that weighs 2,300 pounds 50 pounds isnt really going to have any affect for regular driving...i mean if you are at the track and every .01 seconds count, sure it matters...but not much for me. I was wondering though, if the hatch back had a significatly greater weight in the front, or if the difference in front to rear weight ratios were small enough to be negligable(sp?) between the two models. I did not understand the spring things mentioned above, if somone wanted to explain how that reflects on the percentage weight in front and rear and the difference between the two that woudl be awesome.
the springs idea means the sedan weights, at least in the rear, a little more than the LB. how much ? no idea...
Old 12-12-2006, 09:50 AM   #15
YarisPR

Drives: Yaris Sedan
We just need to fond the weigh distribution probably it would go something like 60/40