Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-08-2017, 03:45 PM   #1
Goosecreekjoey

Drives: 2008 yaris
Electric trouble

2008 YARIS-would an ECM was not working properly would it effect the power steering. Put ECM from used car and ECU also in car didn't start before but now it starts but the electric steering isn't working. Mice or squirrels chewed about 12 wires In the harness near the ECM. This happen over night. Also all the insulation on the fire wall except behind the ECM is GONE, ALL OF IT. Also I am going to the dealer tomorrow to get the car flashed, maybe the is the trouble.
Goosecreekjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:49 PM   #2
Goosecreekjoey

Electric trouble

See if this makes any more sense. An animal screwed 12 or so wires under the hood of Yaris. I soldered all the cut wires back together, all wires. Tried to start car, would not start.had towed to local shop were mechanic put a use ECM in, and got the car started but the electric power steering is not working, so he put used ECU for steering in the car. Still no steering. Shop said I need to take it to dealer for flashing. So thats what Iam going to do Wednesday. Any thoughts. Other than good luck.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:50 PM   #3
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Did anybody check the fuse? Also I was under the impression that you could not reflash Toyota ECM. Don't see how that would have anything to do with the power steering anyhow.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:13 AM   #4
Goosecreekjoey

Yea man, checked fuses and relays. Still iam fairly sure flashing is done on these cars. Made appt with dealer to do procedure Wednesday. Not sure ether if the power steering ECU does talk to the ECM, just don't know. With this fellow CTScott was able to chime in here, seems he know these cars inside and out. Thanks NYC=SE for the input. This is tough!
Old 05-09-2017, 02:06 PM   #5
Goosecreekjoey

Well, the answer to this no power to ECU. That wire is a problem. Mechanic may run a fused separate wire to ECU to power it up. I ask him if it may be better to do that insteadof all the time it may take to find broken wire @ 95.oo an hour. Still need to know, and find out if the broken wire comes from the ECM under the hood or not.