Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-30-2007, 05:52 AM   #1
Dawn Eshelman

Drives: Silver Yaris Liftback
Question Air Conditioner Noise & Leak?

I was driving home on Monday, when I noticed my car making noise when I made turns. Upon closer inspection, I discovered it was when I made left turns. It sounds like a rainstick...or gravel and water sliding from the driver's side of the car to the passenger's side. THEN I noticed what appears to be water running out from under the dash on the passenger floorboard. There was enough water to completely soak my floormat!

Any one experienced this problem yet? My car just hit 1 year, and 15,000 miles. Is it an air conditioner leak?

I operate my air conditioner with outside air, because when I operate it with recirculated air, it really stinks!
Dawn Eshelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:08 AM   #2
gonzo452001

Drives: 3-door liftback blazing blue
take it to the dealer
oem style foglights
96tacoma 4x4 xcab I4auto
Weathertech vent visors
Scan GaugeII
gonzo452001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 08:37 AM   #3
blacksan

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo452001 View Post
take it to the dealer
+1

There is either a leak, or clog. The condensation is not draining and just puddling in system.
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 12:14 PM   #4
tekmoe
ex-yaris owner

Drives: 08 solstice gxp, 06 triumph s3
Send a message via AIM to tekmoe
having this same exact problem! just noticed it today! i took the glovebox compartment out and pulled up the carpet on the passenger side. i found where the leak is coming from. it appears to be condensation from the A/C. it does indeed look like it is not draining properly.

gosh darnit.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:26 PM   #5
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
there's maggots everywhere!!!!!
Old 06-29-2009, 12:02 PM   #6
Artymuse
I've made a post!

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris 5-door hatch
I have this same problem in my '09 Yaris (minus the maggots brickhardmeat mentioned). Gonna take it in this afternoon to get it looked at since its still under warranty. I've only got about 3,700 miles on it and just bought it in January '09.

Took me a few days to notice the leak after the noise had been getting progressively worse. The smell started to build up too, but after i pulled out my floor mat the smell dispersed. I keep a little foil made trough under there now that catches all the water til i can get it fixed.
Artymuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:10 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
There are a few threads on this issue. The condensate drain hose is plugged, causing the backup. This is very common in the spring when the trees drop all of their stuff.

You can clear it yourself using something like a tiewrap (flexible plastic item). Gently insert it into the condensate tube from under the car, and the water should come gushing out.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:19 AM   #8
tenaz

Drives: 2007
Exclamation Air Conditioner Noise and leak

I do have the same issue with my 07 Yaris I took for the car to Northridge Toyota ;The third time for the issue describe above on June 5th 2009 They want to charge me because my car is over 52,000, my warranty is up and they told me it would be charge to diagnostic the same issue on the car has been repaired under the warranty twice.I declined,and
I escalated to Toyota Motors They get in the same position as the dealers saying the following : The dealership determined that the failure was not a factory defect rather it is a customer related problem. Mr XX is leaving his car in a unprotected area. The drain hoses for the a/c on his Yaris are being plugged by foriegn debris causing the water to back up in the evaporator and is causing the leak into his vehicle. He was told on both occassions that this is not a warrantable issue outside influences are not covered by Toyota. On his two previous appointments the debris was cleaned out of his vehicle as a Goodwill gesture from Northridge Toyota and the Factory. He has complained to Toyota Motor Sales and Toyota has turned him down for any Warranty assistance. Mr XX Yaris is now out of the Factory Warranty. Knowing that I went to different Dealership : Thanks to service Advisor and his mechanic explained me the issue why it get debris inside the a/c box I understood clearly is a manufacturer issue because if you put anything in your glove compartment when you have the A/C button in circulation mode the A/C Box sucks air inside of the box causing with the time the drain plug be clogged and the fluid will leak inside the passenger side under the carpet.In order the A/C drain plug don't get clogged you can't put anything inside the glove compartment.
This is Lemon issue affecting most of the Toyota Yaris Hatchback 07-up
If you guys get the same issue as my self hit me up for legal referal against Toyota Motors.
Regards
Tenaz
Pd: I'll keep you update.

Last edited by tenaz; 07-06-2009 at 11:10 PM. Reason: correction
tenaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:52 AM   #9
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
^^^^^^^^^^ = ?
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:38 PM   #10
bugsy3760
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 yaris hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenaz View Post
I do have the same issue with my 07 Yaris I took for the car to Northridge Toyota ;The third time for the issue describe above on June 5th 2009 They want to charge me because my car is over 52,000, my warranty is up and they told me it would be charge to diagnostic the same issue on the car has been repaired under the warranty twice.I declined,and
I escalated to Toyota Motors They get in the same position as the dealers saying the following : The dealership determined that the failure was not a factory defect rather it is a customer related problem. Mr XX is leaving his car in a unprotected area. The drain hoses for the a/c on his Yaris are being plugged by foriegn debris causing the water to back up in the evaporator and is causing the leak into his vehicle. He was told on both occassions that this is not a warrantable issue outside influences are not covered by Toyota. On his two previous appointments the debris was cleaned out of his vehicle as a Goodwill gesture from Northridge Toyota and the Factory. He has complained to Toyota Motor Sales and Toyota has turned him down for any Warranty assistance. Mr XX Yaris is now out of the Factory Warranty. Knowing that I went to different Dealership : Thanks to service Advisor and his mechanic explained me the issue why it get debris inside the a/c box I understood clearly is a manufacturer issue because if you put anything in your glove compartment when you have the A/C button in circulation mode the A/C Box sucks air inside of the box causing with the time the drain plug be clogged and the fluid will leak inside the passenger side under the carpet.In order the A/C drain plug don't get clogged you can't put anything inside the glove compartment.
This is Lemon issue affecting most of the Toyota Yaris Hatchback 07-up
If you guys get the same issue as my self hit me up for legal referal against Toyota Motors.
Regards
Tenaz
Pd: I'll keep you update.
I have the same problem, except now my fan does not work at all. A friend blew out the hose, it was clogged with dirt. He called Toyota and they said they have never had that problem before!!! My vehicle is no longer under warranty, just the power train warranty. How expensive are we talking?
bugsy3760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:35 PM   #11
UpLateAgain

Drives: 2008 Yaris automatic
I have the same problem with my Yaris..... exact same symptoms.... left turn produces water in passenger compartment with the noise of water flowing through the heater/ AC fan. It happens either when I run the air conditioner or after/ during a rainfall. The dealer told me it was a plugged drain tube and jacked up the car to show me where to blow it out. We did. It didn't help. My carpeting is starting to smell moldy and will probably have to be replaced. The car is a 2008, with 40k miles on it.... just enough to be off warranty.

So far the dealer doesn't really have an answer for me, and has told me it is essentially a design flaw. They are contacting Toyota and asking for advice, but i don't hold out a lot of hope.

I have owned a number of Toyotas, and always been tickled pink with them. This is turning into a major disappointment.
UpLateAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:24 PM   #12
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Don't ever blow out the tube (unless you do so from inside of the airbox), as you just push the material back up into the airbox, where it will clog the tube again. If you ran without a cabin filter for a while, there could be a lot of stuff in the airbox, so clearing the tube once will not be a permanent solution anyway.

Install a cabin filter, if you don't already have one. To really clean the system out, the bottom of the airbox needs to come off. That requires some significant disassembly of the dash, but it would be worth it if it has the stink or continues to back-up.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:32 PM   #13
ottomobileY
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
Send a message via AIM to ottomobileY Send a message via Yahoo to ottomobileY
Hey Tenaz I Just started to experience this problem with my Yaris and it stinks literally Dude my car smells like mold. I was wondering if anyone on this forum has been able to fix this problem, looks like nobody has so far. Well if any one has, let me know what is it that you did to fix it. Tenaz let me know if you are gonna go ahead and take legal action. If there is anything you need like a letter or pics let me know.
ottomobileY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:31 PM   #14
Steve Nelson
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Tpyota Yaris Hatchback
Where is the drain tube?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpLateAgain View Post
I have the same problem with my Yaris..... exact same symptoms.... left turn produces water in passenger compartment with the noise of water flowing through the heater/ AC fan. It happens either when I run the air conditioner or after/ during a rainfall. The dealer told me it was a plugged drain tube and jacked up the car to show me where to blow it out. We did. It didn't help. My carpeting is starting to smell moldy and will probably have to be replaced. The car is a 2008, with 40k miles on it.... just enough to be off warranty.

So far the dealer doesn't really have an answer for me, and has told me it is essentially a design flaw. They are contacting Toyota and asking for advice, but i don't hold out a lot of hope.

I have owned a number of Toyotas, and always been tickled pink with them. This is turning into a major disappointment.
And where might this elusive drain tube be? I'd like to see if I can roto-rooter it myself with a pipe cleaner or some cable from an old bike brake.
Steve Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:46 AM   #15
CTScott
ULTIMATE

The easiest place to get at it is from inside of the car, on the passenger side foot well. If you look under the top left corner of the carpet there (right by the center console) you'll see the rubber hose going into the floor. You can easily pull out the grommet and the end of the hose is right there. Just have a pan or bucket ready, so you don't make a mess of the carpet.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:04 PM   #16
Rick Flynn

Drives: 2007 Yaris
That Danged Leak

My 07 Yaris has been leaking for a few weeks on the passenger side--just like the rest of you.

It has 60K miles so no warranty.

A mechanic checked the drainage hose for AC condensation and it was fine, yet it still leaks, especially when I take a left turn.

Not every day, not when hot, not when cold, and not in a direct response to using the AC (yet it is summer so I often use it).

Not sure what to check next.

Any guesses?

Thanks,

Rick
Rick Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:17 PM   #17
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Flynn View Post
My 07 Yaris has been leaking for a few weeks on the passenger side--just like the rest of you.

It has 60K miles so no warranty.

A mechanic checked the drainage hose for AC condensation and it was fine, yet it still leaks, especially when I take a left turn.

Not every day, not when hot, not when cold, and not in a direct response to using the AC (yet it is summer so I often use it).

Not sure what to check next.

Any guesses?

Thanks,

Rick
Double check the condensate drain. If you're getting the left turn sloshing, then the drain is plugged and your air box is full of water.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:31 PM   #18
Rick Flynn

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Ok. That's sounds easy enough, except that I don't know what that is nor do I know where that is.

Not too handy!

Thanks!

Rick
Rick Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote