Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-26-2017, 02:53 PM   #1
Pinchlite

Drives: 2007 yaris HB
From 2 bars to flashing?

2 bars on gas gauge to flashing.Common issue or just me?
Pinchlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 03:00 PM   #2
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Fairly common, I'd say. You'd have to do some searching, but there are several topics on this, including diagrams of how the float in the tank works, which causes the fuel to seem to go faster as it gets lower.

I have an old post about how I've gotten 80 miles out of the first couple bars, but when lower, can go from two bars to flashing in no time.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 03:06 PM   #3
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
That's the way she is. The last bar has 3 stages. Solid briefly, slow flash, then rapid flash. I think rapid flash kicks in with around 3 liters left in the tank. I suppose maybe there is a fourth stage, no bar, which would be you've run dry. I've not tested that one. ;)

Come to think of it, I'm not even sure the last bar has a solid stage. Might be directly to slow flash from 2 bars.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2017, 03:25 PM   #4
Pinchlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
That's the way she is. The last bar has 3 stages. Solid briefly, slow flash, then rapid flash. I think rapid flash kicks in with around 3 liters left in the tank. I suppose maybe there is a fourth stage, no bar, which would be you've run dry. I've not tested that one. ;)

Come to think of it, I'm not even sure the last bar has a solid stage. Might be directly to slow flash from 2 bars.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
I have never gotten the rapid flash yet.I kind of panic to some degree when the slow flash starts.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:20 PM   #5
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
I've never seen1 solid bar. Mine tends to go straight to a slow flash after 2 bars, and then the flashing gets faster and faster until you rin out of fuel...
Old 05-27-2017, 12:53 AM   #6
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
yea it sucks. i get fuel at 2 bars. i don't like flashing lights...
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 05:38 AM   #7
Pinchlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDigby View Post
yea it sucks. i get fuel at 2 bars. i don't like flashing lights...
It just recently started doing this though.Its no big deal but was just curious as to what others experienced.

From what I have read I should have 50-100Km in flashing mode but fill up ASAP once flash starts.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:23 AM   #8
David C

Drives: White '07 3dr LB
From my observations, first bar is between 6 and 7 liters off a full tank, second bar being another 5 to 6 liters, etc. On constant highway driving with cruise control and no stopping, I would get about 110km on the first bar and hit 180km on the second. Best I've done was 125km on first and 190km on second. Fuel consumption was 6.4L/100km. Out of the 8 bars, the first 3 are half the tank. Including the flash bar, the last 3 bars are about 15L total. When i get down to 2 bars, I know I still have at least 10L left of fuel, so roughly 100km worth of margins even with bad fuel consumption. I reset one of the trip odometer when I fill up, so that helps me keep track of my gas mileage and range. It sure gives me a little pinch to the wallet when I see the first bar go at only 50km in winter city time compared to 115km on highway drives.

I never fill the tank past the pump automatic stop either.
David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 11:42 AM   #9
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post

and never pull the fuel valve past the first click, eh?
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 01:11 PM   #10
Rigaud

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
From my observations, first bar is between 6 and 7 liters off a full tank, second bar being another 5 to 6 liters, etc. On constant highway driving with cruise control and no stopping, I would get about 110km on the first bar and hit 180km on the second. Best I've done was 125km on first and 190km on second. Fuel consumption was 6.4L/100km. Out of the 8 bars, the first 3 are half the tank. Including the flash bar, the last 3 bars are about 15L total. When i get down to 2 bars, I know I still have at least 10L left of fuel, so roughly 100km worth of margins even with bad fuel consumption. I reset one of the trip odometer when I fill up, so that helps me keep track of my gas mileage and range. It sure gives me a little pinch to the wallet when I see the first bar go at only 50km in winter city time compared to 115km on highway drives.

Best yve done on first bar is 133km and 201km on second bar. Driving long distance on highway at speed limit. I managed 735km on 37L and yeah......I was on one bar flashing. I rarely ever let it go that low but that said, it varies on mine at one bar left. Sometimes it stays solid a while and other times, it flashes within a few km's of being at one bar.

2009 Toyota Yaris (Little toy)
2002 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 3.0L (Big boy toy)
1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 (winter & DD)
Rigaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 04:58 PM   #11
David C

Best I dared to do so far was from NYC area to the Champlain border crossing. 50km before the border, I was reaching close to 530km and since I never went that far in between fill-ups and the next gaz station was at exit 42 (48km away), I didn't wanted to bet my pants on how much gas I had left at 10pm on a sunday night of january in the adirondack mountains.

Turns out I did an average of 6.63L/100km on that run and would have had another 100km left in the tank if I kept driving at 90km/h. It was the only time where I went from cruising 120km/h trough the night down to a shy 80km/h when I saw that the next gas station was maybe not reachable if I drove too fast up and down the mountains xD

Next week I'm driving back down to my beach house in Maryland (a 1 000km drive), and now that I know my car a lot better (it's my first car and it's only been a year and a half), I'll try to hit the 600km range, although sometimes it's not possible because of dead zones between service areas or outrageous gas price when you enter or exit one state.

I never managed to get below 6.5L/100km on a highway drive so far, but that's probably due to me loading the car with a lot of cargo and having an automatic. Still I'll be driving down with my parents (my dad has a GMC Acadia AWD) and he gets about 10L/100km or less on highway with cargo, driving 100km/h. I get 7L/100km in the exact same conditions and speed. But I noticed a huge difference in cruise control speed correction between his luxury GMC and my 10yo base Toyota. Even loaded like hell, my CC will never have give more than a 1km/h margin when join up and down hills before it kicks in in lower gear when going up long or steep hills and the worst I've seen was going from 105 down to 104 and kicks up to 107 then swiftly back to 105 on uphill. Downhill it's always spot on, unless the engine itself isn't enough to slow down the car, but it will never let the car go faster than the set speed before using engine compression to control the speed. The Acadia will go wild, from 94km/h to 109km/h when set to 100km/h cruise. Although the engine is powerful and the transmission is smooth, which really cut on deceleration/acceleration noise and g-force to the point where unless you are monitoring the ground speed with an independent GPS, you won't be able to tell that the car is going faster or slower, decelerating or accelerating simply by the sound or g-force. Even the needle on the speedometer in the dash won't move much.

So if you're wondering why all those people in their nice GMC SUV can't use their damn CC on the highway, well it maybe because they are using it and don't notice how much the car changes speed. So I'll always pass people on the uphill and follow on the down hill, so I don't have to touch the brakes or speed up.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:00 PM   #12
David C

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDigby View Post
and never pull the fuel valve past the first click, eh?
Nope. I do flip the gun over 180° for about 10-15 seconds so it doesn't drip when I take it out tho. So far I've pumped from all over the province and east coast states and it's been pretty consistent with my records. More consistent that if I was to try to fill up to the very max the gun would allow me.
Old 05-28-2017, 12:30 PM   #13
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader166 View Post
I've never seen1 solid bar. Mine tends to go straight to a slow flash after 2 bars, and then the flashing gets faster and faster until you rin out of fuel...
Same here. My 2008 liftback has always gone from two bars to one flashing. I've never seen one solid (nonflashing) bar...
Old 05-29-2017, 09:00 PM   #14
David C

Today I fuelled up from a low 2 bars (been driving on 2 bars for many km's) to one bar below full with exactly 25L from a allegedly just calibrated brand new Ultramar pump. Assuming tank capacity is 42L (OEM specs) and first bar disappear at 35L (42L-7L, my guess is first bar hold between 6 to 7L from my observations), second bar holds about 5 to 6L, it means that my tank is somewhere between 30L and 35L full, and that the 2 last bars hold at least 5L and up to 10L or more since I was driving on 2 bars for at least 50km or more.

I think the reason why they decided to go from 2 bars directly to flashing was to trick drivers into always keeping more than the bare minimum in the tank to prevent running out of gas and also not to induce air in the pump and lines (honestly don't know if it's bad, but it seems like you wouldn't want air to get in the lines and pump, just like with any other fluid system). If they had one solid bar before getting to flashing, while respecting the decrease of mileage from each bar, you would literally have very little left in the tank when the last bar would go from solid to flash, unless the solid stage was very short, thus kinda pointless. Also helps you notice that you went from 2 bars to the last bar, since I don't think everyone who drives a Yaris pays constant attention to the gas bar or even really know much about their car and what all those things on the dashboard means. And apparently that design works rather good and I believe is much more accurate than a small dial with a needle that have very little travel, especially since this car has a small tank, compared to bigger cars where 1/8 of a tank isn't rock bottom.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:00 AM   #15
Adriaan
In between cities

Drives: 2006 yaris ce
From experience, I have driven my yaris dry to check. The last bar will flash slowly then quickly. On the slow flash I have gotten 20 to 35 km, depending on weather, weight, temp etc. On the quick flashing i have got 25 km and the time i ran out of gas was 43 km. Again condition apply. So I usually go with 30 km with the quick flash to be save and find a gas station. When it ran out it took me about 10 mins to get it started again. The first 5 min was waiting for the sensor to tell the cpu that there is gas now in start mode just before you turn the key over. (even when it runs out in acc mode the bar will still flash). Then just had to pump the gas like my old carburetor car, a few times, then wait then pump again and it started. I had a jerry can of 10 liters. 5 liters isn't enough to start it as with that amount the bar is still flashing. When i took it to that gas station, in total I had put 43 liters in the tank when it first clicked.
Adriaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:21 PM   #16
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatchback
The 2008 Yaris I used to have went from 2 bars to one slow flashing bar. It would flash faster when it was really low.

Oddly enough, my Prius that I used to have would actually show one bar and then eventually it would start flashing.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:35 PM   #17
David C

How cheap on gas can you be when you drive your Prius down to the bottom of the tank ;)
Old 06-02-2017, 10:46 PM   #18
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatchback
Extremely. I used it for Uber and Lyft so if I could avoid putting any gas in it when I was towards Chicago I did. That fuel gauge was usually flashing by the time I got back home.