Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-28-2009, 12:37 PM   #1

Drives: 2003 Accord Sedan
Potential Yaris owner, some questions

First, I would have no trouble buying if they made the 5 door in manual transmission. Because of this very unsure of what to buy. The versa seems to have a nicer interior and has 5 door 6MT but inferior fuel economy and no AUX input.

Anyway, some of my questions.

1) I can't seem to tell the difference between the 3 door hatch and its S version. from what I can tell you get a tach, what else? Doesn't seem worth it.

2) I was reading the fuel economy forum and economy seems to be varied. In my current car (2003 accord) I just rev to 2500 and cruise control the highway at 100km/h. Can someone give me a figure for what would be the fuel economy for 100km/h cruise with AC on?

3) Looking at some posts in the purchase prices thread, i see mention of a lifetime powertrain warranty? I would be keeping my next vehicle for the duration so would be very interested in something like that. Can't seem to find any information on it, and am skeptical it really exists.

4) Can anyone recommend me any cars to look into? I would prefer a 5 door hatch, with MT and good fuel economy. I would settle for a 3 door if I have to though since most of the time I am alone. I just need the potential hauling capacity of a hatch for my family and would like rear doors since some of my family members aren't the most mobile of people.

Thanks for the help and this forum looks great. Hope to be a part of the community some day.
#87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:50 PM   #2
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Hello and welcome.

First, I'm a little surprised that you can't find a 5DR MT Yaris. I think they're around, at least the lady who used to own my Yaris has one. Do you mean they're not on the lots or they just don't make them anymore?

Now, I went through this a few months ago and I don't know if a forum of Yaris enthousiasts will suggest any other car , remember we all bought the Yaris because we thought it was the best car for us :)

Anyway: I had it narrowed down to 5 small cars, but in the end, it was between Toyota and Honda. I would test drive a Honda Fit MT, if I were you, maybe you'll like it. I liked the FIT's handling better than the Yaris, personally, but I didn't like the style and the interior, or the price. The Yaris is cheaper to run, I think, MPG, less $ down.

Finding a manual transmission was a pain in the butt, though. They're becoming pretty rare out here.

I have a 2 DR Yaris, though, and yes, it's a little awkward at time to put stuff in the back seat, but then I use the trunk instead, problem solved.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:17 PM   #3

Yeah, take a look at toyota site. Only comes in 5 door base or 5 door S, both auto transmissions.

I was thinking of the Fit but they are too much for what they offer I think. I love the magic seats thing but you basically paying MSRP with no negotiating room. Also MT fit sport is very hard to come by. I went to local dealer to test drive one and he said he would have to order one for a test drive. Then he never called me back... I also hear it revs rather high at highway speeds.

I'm really looking for max MPG, reliability, and versatility of the hatch. It looks like I will have to settle for the 3 door though I really wish there was a 5 door MT =[
Old 08-28-2009, 02:41 PM   #4
Nova8518

Drives: 2009 5dr Yaris Sport
you can always go with yaris's bigger cousin the scion xd. It has the five door that you wanted, has a bigger motor and comes in 5mt, also has a little more trunk room if I'm not mistaken.
Nova8518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:48 PM   #5
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by #87 View Post
1) I can't seem to tell the difference between the 3 door hatch and its S version. from what I can tell you get a tach, what else? Doesn't seem worth it.
if i'm not mistaken, you also get a leather wrapped stearing wheel, alloys and body kit...the seats are a bit different also, a bit more 'sport' inspired.

Quote:
2) I was reading the fuel economy forum and economy seems to be varied. In my current car (2003 accord) I just rev to 2500 and cruise control the highway at 100km/h. Can someone give me a figure for what would be the fuel economy for 100km/h cruise with AC on?
i can say that i run the a/c just about all the time, have larger aftermarket wheels and tires, do the majority of my driving on streets because i live so close to work and although i don't drive like a maniac, i most definitely don't hypermile (shift at about 3500rpm, 80mph average on freeways) but, i still get an average of 30mpg so, as far as max mpg goes, you're going to get it with a yaris...

Quote:
3) Looking at some posts in the purchase prices thread, i see mention of a lifetime powertrain warranty? I would be keeping my next vehicle for the duration so would be very interested in something like that. Can't seem to find any information on it, and am skeptical it really exists.
i have not heard anything about a lifetime powertrain warranty...from what i understand, without doing any real research, there is the standard 3yr 36k bumper to bumper (i purchased an extended that takes me out to 6yr 76k) in addition to an 80k mile exhaust system warranty of some kind...

Quote:
4) Can anyone recommend me any cars to look into? I would prefer a 5 door hatch, with MT and good fuel economy. I would settle for a 3 door if I have to though since most of the time I am alone. I just need the potential hauling capacity of a hatch for my family and would like rear doors since some of my family members aren't the most mobile of people.
i too was bummed about the 4 door not coming in MT but, after looking at it in person i liked the 3 door better...i also find that the upper seat release allows for quick release of the front seats and they move forward enough to make nice room for those getting in and out of the back...

Quote:
Thanks for the help and this forum looks great. Hope to be a part of the community some day.
hope it helps and hope to see you active on the forums
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:04 PM   #6
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
i have not heard anything about a lifetime powertrain warranty...from what i understand, without doing any real research, there is the standard 3yr 36k bumper to bumper (i purchased an extended that takes me out to 6yr 76k) in addition to an 80k mile exhaust system warranty of some kind...
YarisOwners'Dad got it, so I guess some dealerships have the flexibility to throw it in

check out this post:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...&postcount=262
Old 08-28-2009, 03:07 PM   #7
tomato
Super Moderator

Sucks they do'nt make MT's anymore.
Well, that's fine, I don't plan on getting rid of the Yaris for a while anyway, so I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:35 PM   #8

Hah, I'd be willing to travel to kentucky for a lifetime powertrain. Question is, will all Toyota dealers honor it or is it for that specific dealer?

I'm leaning toward 3 door with the power package w/additional upgrades (as per the toyota yaris builder thingy) which is MSRP just under 15k including delivery. I think i could improve hauling space by removing the seats? Are there any pictures of what it looks like with the rear seats removed?

I'm researching now but I won't be getting anything new for 8 months to a year =[ My car was hit but a drunk running a red. I think it should have been totaled but it wasn't. Vibrates horribly at idle with AC running and the shop replaced the mounts with OEM and said nothing else they can do. I'm mad too I just started getting some nice mods on it.

Not liking the interior fabric of the Yaris but I would just get some seat covers and call it a day.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:48 PM   #9
2+2

Drives: 09 3Dr Manual
Quote:
I think i could improve hauling space by removing the seats? Are there any pictures of what it looks like with the rear seats removed?
Compilation of Yaris DIY How-Tos Check the first link "how to remove rear seats".
2+2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:01 PM   #10
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Hah, I'd be willing to travel to kentucky for a lifetime powertrain. Question is, will all Toyota dealers honor it or is it for that specific dealer?

Not liking the interior fabric of the Yaris but I would just get some seat covers and call it a day.
Who knows. I have an extended warranty on the powertrain (5 years) because it was part of the deal when I bought my Yaris under the certified program. (I bought mine used, there was no sale or 0% financing at the time, and MT Yarii were so rare, they were flying off the lots back then).

Personally, I think there is always room for negotiation, especially now that Cash for Clunkers is over and sales of new cars are expected to drop.

You should read the thread "why do I want one so bad" (it's in the new yaris forum, not hard to find) there is some pretty good stuff on negotiating the new car price at the dealership.

Nobody on the forum I think, really likes the interior fabric, it's cheap and doesn't look very sturdy, but the Yaris has many other positive points, sometimes you gotta take the good with the bad.

I think you really get your money's worth, with a Yaris.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:32 PM   #11
tomato
Super Moderator

I stand corrected. Thanks Echo.

I meant... nobody in this forum likes the base yaris's fabric.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:47 PM   #12
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:

The toyota doing 60-70mph (100km +/- a few) should net you roughly 40mpg.... give or take depending on if thats constant, or speed up/slow down,... So realistically, if you do 80/20 hwy/cty you could expect to get 36mpg to low 40's. My first few tanks were 36-37, and then I learned how to drive it more efficiently and now am in the 44-47 region, Tho I do my best to keep my speed below 45mph now.

Cars to look at... versa for sure (its cheap), the fit (tho like mentioned, its geared more for city driving than highway compared to the yaris)... I'd also take a look at something by Hyundai/Kia if you are concerned with price very at all, as they low prices, have better warranties, but don't get nearly as high of gas mileage.

Stock warranty I believe is 36,000 mile/3yr, I paid extra and got it bumped up to 80k/5yr tho it was probably a waste of money... I wanted to make sure the car was paid off before anything went bad that I would have to pay for.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:12 PM   #13
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
got it bumped up to 80k/5yr tho it was probably a waste of money... I wanted to make sure the car was paid off before anything went bad that I would have to pay for.
Word!
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:35 PM   #14
bwong2

Drives: 2009 Yaris Liftback S
i think i read somewhere that the 2010 models are going to be available in 5 door MT
bwong2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:04 AM   #15
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

My kids got approximately 40 MPG driving to the beach this week, mostly at 75-80 MPH on the Interstate in a 2007 Yaris S sedan with automatic transmission. I would've gotten better in mine, cruising at the speed limits, but had to drive a heavily loaded minivan. (Still got better than 24 MPG with it.) As the old saying goes, YMMV. Driving habits affect mileage hugely.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:48 PM   #16

I've been doing a lot of browsing and decided it is better financially for me to keep this car a while longer. It was 20k when I got it, now is worth about 8k in good condition. Having been in an accident seems to strengthen the case for me to keep it.

I will keep it at least 2 more years until I finish school in spring 2011 and I guess depending if I get a job I will buy something new. I will continue to lurk here as I really think I like the Yaris. Only thing that puts me off is reading about the 3rd gear issue. I know Honda has the same problem on a lot of their MTs and replaces it with a better synchro pack or something but looks like Toyota just puts a new one of the same piece? I guess time will tell and look forward to posting again as an owner in the future.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:50 PM   #17
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Sounds like a good plan to me!
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:58 PM   #18
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
I get 42mpg with minimal AC running 60% highway at 70mph.... 40 in city (other 40%).

If that helps.

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote