Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-28-2017, 11:58 AM   #1
Pinchlite

Drives: 2007 yaris HB
Rear bench E10 torx head snapped off(SOLVED)

The head just snapped off leaving it in the E10 torx socket.

Any suggestions to remove rear bench know besides having shop torch them off?

Last edited by Pinchlite; 03-28-2017 at 06:14 PM.
Pinchlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:34 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Same thing happened to me. Is this what your bolt now looks like? I struggled with mine using vice grips after the head snapped off to no avail. Eventually took it to the shop and they ended up ramming an undersized socket onto the remaining portion of the head and were able to back it out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sheared Bolt.jpg (79.7 KB, 53 views)
Old 03-28-2017, 01:45 PM   #3
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Manual hammer driven impact driver

Is there clearance above? Every mechanic needs an impact driver that you set for remove or drive and then smack with a hammer. You could slot the remaining bolt head with a dremel and use the bit for slotted screws. (Driver came in a skinny metal box with two sizes Philips head and two sizes slotted.) Amazing saves with this tool over many years...Impact plus torque while being driven against, to hold, the fastener. You torque it lightly in the direction of desired rotation before impact.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:27 PM   #4
Pinchlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Same thing happened to me. Is this what your bolt now looks like? I struggled with mine using vice grips after the head snapped off to no avail. Eventually took it to the shop and they ended up ramming an undersized socket onto the remaining portion of the head and were able to back it out.
Brought to local weld shop.Seeing the heads were snapped off they zipped them off with air tool and small rotary bit.

cost 20 bucks but worth it.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:51 PM   #5
WeeYari

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
Is there clearance above? Every mechanic needs an impact driver that you set for remove or drive and then smack with a hammer. You could slot the remaining bolt head with a dremel and use the bit for slotted screws. (Driver came in a skinny metal box with two sizes Philips head and two sizes slotted.) Amazing saves with this tool over many years...Impact plus torque while being driven against, to hold, the fastener. You torque it lightly in the direction of desired rotation before impact.
No idea what that is saying My head hurts.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:57 PM   #6
Pinchlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
No idea what that is saying My head hurts.
Same here..I still appreciate the help for what it's worth though
Old 03-28-2017, 03:02 PM   #7
Pinchlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
No clearance.The complete splined part of the torx head snapped off leaving the washer/flat round part of the entire torx bolt.

It was not all that easy for him to do aswell.These were the rear bolts between the metal parts of the rear backrest frame.

There were lots...lotsa sparks and he took the time to use cardboard/blankets as not to damage any interior and the tint on windows.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:07 PM   #8
dogsridewith

Impact driver

Driver looks like a big chrome screwdriver handle. A bit goes in one end to fit the fastener, and you hit the other end with a steel hammer. This makes it turn the bit a little with each blow. The Phillips bit will loosen a completely rounded out Phillips screw or even a small rounded out Allen head. Can, of course use an adapter bit to drive sockets, which might be undersize, whatever. But if all that's left is a rounded nub of a screw head, you may be able to crudely slot the head with a fine dremel disc and then hit it with one of the blade bits for slotted head screws.
Mine is labeled: "Vessel Impact Type Driver No 2500N"
Old 03-28-2017, 10:26 PM   #9
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
One of these: https://youtu.be/DUOghfo7VGI
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:02 AM   #10
zimmer

Drives: 2011 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Gonna get one of these.
zimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:53 AM   #11
CrankyOldMan

Just go easy on it--I used one on my son's Mk IV Jetta's rotors and sheared the screw off at the threads. We got the rotors off, but the retainer screws won't ever be usable again.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:57 AM   #12
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchlite View Post
The head just snapped off leaving it in the E10 torx socket.
Now that we've settled what an impact screwdriver is, what was the original cause? Were the threads rusted/galled and had completely seized the screw? That kind of mechanical failure is really strange, considering how clean the upper portion looks. Maybe someone forgot about righty-tighty and went HAM on it with a 3/4" Ingersoll Rand impact gun? Just curious.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:02 AM   #13
Pinchlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Now that we've settled what an impact screwdriver is, what was the original cause? Were the threads rusted/galled and had completely seized the screw? That kind of mechanical failure is really strange, considering how clean the upper portion looks. Maybe someone forgot about righty-tighty and went HAM on it with a 3/4" Ingersoll Rand impact gun? Just curious.
The heads looked like new,correct direction when loosening aswell.(Double checked before using impact ,then the long bar)
Old 03-29-2017, 08:42 AM   #14
dogsridewith

Removing rear seat frame bench total Torx Socket fake

My 07 from Gilroy CA seemed pretty rust free. Those Torx bolts were TIGHT. Split a 1/4 drive 5/16 and/or 8mm 6-point socket. Didn't find Torx sockets except in sets, so got 5/16 and/or 8mm 6-point sockets in 3/8 drive. Used PB blaster and smacked bolt heads w/ somefer steel hammer...maybe a steel punch between hammer and bolt if space was tight. Then they all came out w/o breaking their heads or a socket.
(Sorry for the "and/or's"...5/16 would be a bit tighter fit at .3125"...8mm converts to .3150. Probably an 8mm 3/8 Drive by Performance tool--#W38208 at A&A Autoparts)
(Removing rear seat frame bench total Torx Socket fake)
Old 03-29-2017, 09:15 PM   #15
CrankyOldMan

I pulled the seats from an 08 xD that was in horrible shape and didn't have a single problem using the right E-Torx socket and my cordless impact gun, hence my confusion about some people having a terrible time of it.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:57 AM   #16
WeeYari

All of mine were great, no effort at all to remove. Then I hit the one that sheared. It's just one of those things were once in a while, for no apparent reason, shit happens.