Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-28-2017, 06:09 PM   #19
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
Here's how it is.

the yaris is designed to replace the starlet, which did have a long life in motorsport in its time.
toyota designed the yaris as a versatile platform for the subcompact class (look at all the cars that the echo shared platforms with) and that included motorsport. The Vitz RS wasnt a simple afterthought from toyota.

Japan has the vitz cup (now netz cup) since 2000.
The cup cars required adding a roll cage , towing hook, 4-point seat belt and other safety equip.
Now you can buy cup cars prebuilt gutted with rollcage etc.

Eventually toyota released a turbo version of that RS trim, for people that want more sportyness. Generations after, toyota made improvements in performance while still keeping it versatile. Looking at the 3rd gen, toyota isn't even shy about bringing out various sport packages overseas, while USA gets shafted.

europe and japan gets a 1.5 turbo 1st gen TS
japan gets a TRD turbo 2nd gen
japan gets a GRMN/G's turbo 3rd gen
Now, europe gets the GRMN 1.8 supercharged basically lifted from a lotus.

what do we get? We got an empty canvas.

OH and another thing, look back to the 20th century and see the struggle of a D15A civic in motorsport!!
If you want to look at a motorsport afterthought, look at a neon srt. lol.

Last edited by enviri; 04-28-2017 at 06:19 PM.
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 06:13 PM   #20
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Not to be a downer, but I would remind everyone that I was considering the rear sway bar for quite some time (TRD and Whiteline), but after hearing Jason's opinion on it, who has extensive experience with these cars where it really counts - the racetrack - I've decided to put the money elsewhere.

Just food for thought; take it for what it's worth.
I think we're comparing apples and oranges. I don't race, never have. I'm not lowered, running coil-overs, racing suspension, etc. I don't have a stripped out interior trying to save every last ounce of weight. If Jason says the rear sway bar has a negative affect in that situation I will certainly believe him as he is the one in that situation.

But to me, running a stock suspension setup, cruising at mostly legal speeds on public roadways, the rear sway bar has a positive affect. Compared to how the car handled before I installed the bar things are definitely improved. Feels much more stable in turns, feels "tighter" on the highway. I won't say night and day different, but how about 8AM -3PM different.

Again this is an otherwise stock Yaris. No one driving it will mistake it for a Porsche, but I maintain that in my driving situation (and I suspect the majority of fellow YW members' situations) the TRD rear sway bar offers a real, positive influence on handling.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 06:28 PM   #21
enviri

I have lots of fun whipping through saw mill into the henry hudson lol.. wanna have a mini meet across the river in edgewater, nj? :P
Old 04-28-2017, 06:30 PM   #22
m.flores.0928

Drives: 2014 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by enviri View Post
Here's how it is.

the yaris is designed to replace the starlet, which did have a long life in motorsport in its time.
toyota designed the yaris as a versatile platform for the subcompact class (look at all the cars that the echo shared platforms with) and that included motorsport. The Vitz RS wasnt a simple afterthought from toyota.

Japan has the vitz cup (now netz cup) since 2000.
The cup cars required adding a roll cage , towing hook, 4-point seat belt and other safety equip.
Now you can buy cup cars prebuilt gutted with rollcage etc.

Eventually toyota released a turbo version of that RS trim, for people that want more sportyness. Generations after, toyota made improvements in performance while still keeping it versatile. Looking at the 3rd gen, toyota isn't even shy about bringing out various sport packages overseas, while USA gets shafted.

europe and japan gets a 1.5 turbo 1st gen TS
japan gets a TRD turbo 2nd gen
japan gets a GRMN/G's turbo 3rd gen
Now, europe gets the GRMN 1.8 supercharged basically lifted from a lotus.

what do we get? We got an empty canvas.

OH and another thing, look back to the 20th century and see the struggle of a D15A civic in motorsport!!
If you want to look at a motorsport afterthought, look at a neon srt. lol.

Touché, I didn't know that.

America though didn't get any of those fun variants, which is lame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
m.flores.0928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 07:56 PM   #23
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
I think we're comparing apples and oranges. I don't race, never have. I'm not lowered, running coil-overs, racing suspension, etc. I don't have a stripped out interior trying to save every last ounce of weight. If Jason says the rear sway bar has a negative affect in that situation I will certainly believe him as he is the one in that situation.

But to me, running a stock suspension setup, cruising at mostly legal speeds on public roadways, the rear sway bar has a positive affect. Compared to how the car handled before I installed the bar things are definitely improved. Feels much more stable in turns, feels "tighter" on the highway. I won't say night and day different, but how about 8AM -3PM different.

Again this is an otherwise stock Yaris. No one driving it will mistake it for a Porsche, but I maintain that in my driving situation (and I suspect the majority of fellow YW members' situations) the TRD rear sway bar offers a real, positive influence on handling.
I second that. I immediately noticed the difference in everyday street/HW driving, especially on sharp 90 degree road turns taken with any amount of zeal/spirit. I would also say my car feels better and more stable in high winds (like it was this afternoon here in N. Phoenix!) and highway tracking in general. Plus, the cars feels tighter when taking those sharp curving HW connecting ramps at speed. I feel that I am getting my $200 worth.

On a side note, i almost crushed my door on those concrete/steel pole pump protectors today at my local Shell station. I went to get out of the car and the really high winds grabbed my door and tried to slam it open to maximum distance - and I barely was able to grab it in time to prevent a huge dent in my door. Pulling it back closed took some effort, and the wimpy plasic inside door handle wasn't enough. I had to grab the metal frame of the door. Close call!

Last edited by Kalispel; 04-28-2017 at 08:08 PM.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 08:17 PM   #24
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE

justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 08:22 PM   #25
Kalispel

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherdrunk View Post

That's how I felt today.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:43 PM   #26
NYC-SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by enviri View Post
I have lots of fun whipping through saw mill into the henry hudson lol.. wanna have a mini meet across the river in edgewater, nj? :P
Sure, but it will have to be a good bit into the future. Limited free time at the moment and for the time to come. Any other Yarisworld members in the area? Might as well make it a party!
Old 04-29-2017, 03:37 PM   #27
enviri

Theres 2 other rs converted gen 2s in northern nj. I might be able to get them in...maybe at least 1
Old 05-04-2017, 12:02 AM   #28
Kalispel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X44jn7bTl3Q

I was watching some YouTube video of the North American 2018 refresh Yaris @ the 2017 New York auto show and was disappointed (yet again) with some of the decisions Toyota is making with the Yaris in this market - particularly with the SE trim.

- Still no side-mirror turn-signals for 2018 US/NA market - an actual useful passive safety feature for everyone - unlike the active 'Safety-Sense' nonsense they are putting in the car for distracted/dementia drivers.

- Cheap-looking, cut-rate 1990's halogen-bulb version of the new 2018 Yaris tail-lights, unlike the nicer and more visible LED tail-lights being used in other markets.

- Still sporting the cheap-looking/feeling climate-control knobs/dash, instead of the nicer controls you see in the Yaris for other markets.

- A profoundly lackluster gray/silver alloy-wheel design, even compared to the black/silver 2015-2017 alloys (which I have grown to really like on the 2015-2017 SE, strangely enough - especially compared to the new 2018 ones).

- Overdone front 2018 SE headlights that is a contradiction to the rest of the car's cut-rate design decisions in this market, and with silly-looking zig-zagging LED DRL compared to the simple, elegant 'angry brow' 2015-2017 LED DLR version.

- I could go on, but I won't.

As much as I like my current Yaris, I wonder why Toyota even bothers with an SE trim for the US/NA market. It's an afterthought joke compared to what you can get in other markets straight from the factory. Looks like my only hope for getting another Yaris around 2021 is if I like what the 4th-Gen is offering in terms of styling & features. If not, I sure hope that I like the iM version for that model year.

Ok, I got that off my chest. I feel better now.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:05 AM   #29
m.flores.0928

Drives: 2014 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X44jn7bTl3Q

I was watching some YouTube video of the North American 2018 refresh Yaris @ the 2017 New York auto show and was disappointed (yet again) with some of the decisions Toyota is making with the Yaris in this market - particularly with the SE trim.

- Still no side-mirror turn-signals for US/NA market - an actual useful passive safety feature for everyone - unlike the active 'Safety-Sense' nonsense they are putting in the car for distracted/dementia drivers.

- Cheap-looking, cut-rate 1990's halogen bulb version of the new Yaris tail-lights, unlike the nicer and more visible LED taillights being used in other markets.

- Still getting the cheap-looking/feeling climate-control knobs, instead of the nicer controls you see in the Yaris for other markets.

- A lackluster gray/silver alloy-wheel design, even compared to the black/silver 2015-2017 alloys (which I have grown to like, strangely enough - especially compared to the 2018 ones).

- Overdone front SE headlights that is a contradiction to the rest of the car's cut-rate design decisions vs other markets, and with silly-looking zig-zagging LED DRL compared to the simple, elegant 'angry brow' 2015-2017 LED version.

As much as I like my current Yaris, I wonder why Toyota even bothers with an SE trim for the US/NA market. It's a joke compared to what you can get in other markets straight from the factory. Looks like my only hope for getting another Yaris around 2021 is if I like what the 4th-Gen is offering in terms of styling & features.

Ok, I got that off my chest.

I agree. I'm baffled as to why the Yaris gets the shit stick in the US market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
m.flores.0928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:40 PM   #30
davinoft

Drives: yaris
I had bought Prius c mirrors from junk yard and install on my yaris se.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
davinoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 10:00 PM   #31
NYC-SE

This was my original idea but it turned out that the Prius C mirrors are different than Yaris mirrors. This was discussed here:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53247

How did you get them to fit?
Old 05-07-2017, 12:11 AM   #32
enviri

yeah im not fully into the fact that prius c mirrors don't fit the 3rd gen yaris. The TC2/XB/XD/Corolla&Matrix MY2009ish mirrors are different from yaris 2nd gen too. Seriously, pics are needed. CTScott kinda thought i was crazy plugging the xd mirrors in the yaris with no care in the world before wiring up the lights lol...
Old 05-07-2017, 01:24 AM   #33
stykerdk
Yaris Hybrid Limited 2015

Drives: yaris Hybrid limited 2015
You can buy aftermarket models, i found these who will ship to USA.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Side-Mirror-...-/322461057227
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Side-Mirror-...-/322482404829