Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-28-2018, 09:55 AM   #1
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
$4.00 (minor) Facelift

While painting the stubby spoiler that came off my '06 RS - to be put on my '08 - I figured I'd give the seriously ugly, faded plastic plate covers that came with the car a quick refresh. I have a can of color-matched paint that I'd bought when repainting my door sills. A quick degrease, coat of adhesion promoter and a couple coats of paint...done. Also, bolted on my other Ebay $3.64 'stainless steel' exhaust tip. Not bad, IMO, for a quickie.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 01:53 PM   #2
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
i'd use some high heat flat black and paint the muffler...i did that on mine...

Old 04-28-2018, 03:17 PM   #3
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
i'd use some high heat flat black and paint the muffler...i did that on mine...
Took me about 10 minutes to do that as well... and it looked so much better; that ugly can just about disappeared.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 06:10 PM   #4
06YarisRS

Flat black will be tried soon. Any recommendations on brand? I have been using VHT Flameproof. I shall see if they have that in flat black.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 04-28-2018, 06:13 PM   #5
06YarisRS

Stubby Spoiler Added...

Got the spoiler on the '08. Paint match is ok. Needs some clear coat for more gloss. Will have to tape all around and mask the car. The premixed paint is supposed to contain clear, but it's not glossy enough.

Old 04-28-2018, 06:37 PM   #6
kimona
Super Moderator

That little spoiler is more my taste. Very nice!

BTW, I bought a rattle can of High Heat Rust-Oleum (flat black) to paint my muffler and tail pipe. I got it at Home Depot.
Old 04-28-2018, 06:48 PM   #7
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
That little spoiler is more my taste. Very nice!

BTW, I bought a rattle can of High Heat Rust-Oleum (flat black) to paint my muffler and tail pipe. I got it at Home Depot.
Yeah, I'm still not totally sold on the larger spoiler. From an aesthetics point of view, the manufacturer gets it right more often than folks like me. That's for sure.

Any observations on how long the Rustoleum lasts before flaking off? Even with the VHT, I have to spray that muffler every couple of months.

Old 04-28-2018, 07:04 PM   #8
kimona
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Any observations on how long the Rustoleum lasts before flaking off? Even with the VHT, I have to spray that muffler every couple of months.
I painted my '07 muffler shortly after I bought the car new. The paint was still intact the day I sold it with 90K+ miles. Of course, the car was in Florida and California, not snow country.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:25 PM   #9
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
I painted my '07 muffler shortly after I bought the car new. The paint was still intact the day I sold it with 90K+ miles. Of course, the car was in Florida and California, not snow country.
Wow, now that's longevity! I'll definitely try the Rustoleum.