Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-09-2010, 06:12 PM   #1
ChilliwackGuy
WCOAST CANADIAN DRIVER!!!

Drives: 2010 Hatch 5DR - AUTO/AC
A/C Broken On My 2010 5 DR HB

After owning my Yaris for 1 month and 5 days - the A/C stopped working just before my 125KM commute home on the freeway. All it was blowing out was hot air - and we've been experiencing 30 degree + celcius weather recently - so it felt like I was in a POW solitary box.

My sales rep thought I may have been running the defrost - which I wasn't.

Anyway - I have read every thread here on Yaris World regarding A/C problems - and I do not believe I am at fault. (e.g. I don't leave papers loose in the glove boxes - all my insurance docs / etc are in ziploks - and my car is relatively clean inside and out). I don't think it's my responsibility to take hangers and start unplugging hoses, etc., and I know the differences / advantages / disadvantages of running circulate vs. re-circulate.

I have an apt. tomorrow at 9:30AM - Sat, July 10, 10 with the same Toyota dealership where I bought the car from. They are going to provide me with a Toyota Corolla service loaner.

I intend to post my experiences here with my broken A/C as a warning and perhaps pre-cautionery measure to potential 2010 Yaris buyers.

I commute a total of 250KM - 6 days a week - and I run A/C in all but the coldest of weather conditions. A/C is absolutely VITAL to me.
ChilliwackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:30 PM   #2
Lucas13

Drives: 07 Yaris LB
Hmmm maybe a leak on the system is the compressor kicking when you turn it on?
Lucas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:16 PM   #3
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
lol, you live in BC, whats hot? 25c?

sucks about your a/c taking a dump....i don't see why it wouldnt be replaced under the comprehensive warranty.

the a/c in my matrix xrs took a shit at about 48000km. i had intake, header, exhaust, polyeurethane motor mounts and consistently saw 8350rpm. still warrantied by toyota.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:21 PM   #4
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
if it's not covered you can have mine. it's only around 38c from about march to october around here.

that's a very fine sig you got there barber.

I crush you like tiny clown car, because you are clown, yes?
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:12 PM   #5
Yarisduder

Drives: 2007 4dr Sedan Silver Streak
Quote:
Originally Posted by frownonfun View Post
if it's not covered you can have mine. it's only around 38c from about march to october around here.
Ohhh that sounds nice, I think I'll move to TX, it's freaking cold almost all the time in Canada. We hit "record highs" on Wednesday, it got to 92 degrees... sheesh. Today it dropped back into the low 80's. I wish we had more then max 2 weeks of nice weather, but we don't.

As for the AC, shouldn't you be going to the service department for that rather than the sales rep? I bet he's just saying whatever to get you out, he doesn't care about after sales, that's not his job.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:34 PM   #6
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
Please keep us updated on the results. I'd like to know what the problem was.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:24 AM   #7
thebarber
daily driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarisduder View Post
Ohhh that sounds nice, I think I'll move to TX, it's freaking cold almost all the time in Canada. We hit "record highs" on Wednesday, it got to 92 degrees... sheesh. Today it dropped back into the low 80's. I wish we had more then max 2 weeks of nice weather, but we don't.

As for the AC, shouldn't you be going to the service department for that rather than the sales rep? I bet he's just saying whatever to get you out, he doesn't care about after sales, that's not his job.
suck it up, buttercup. try living in the maritimes where you get a month of proper summer.

why wouldn't he take it to the service department? it IS a service/warranty issue...wtf is the salesman going to do?
Old 07-10-2010, 08:02 AM   #8
Yarisduder

Drives: 2007 4dr Sedan Silver Streak
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
why wouldn't he take it to the service department? it IS a service/warranty issue...wtf is the salesman going to do?
That's what I was asking. He states "My sales rep thought I may have been running the defrost"

I was just saying that 7 months of heat sounds good compared to the 2 weeks we get... since when is a month less than 2 weeks? Plus I lived in PEI in 2000, the weather there sucks too, it rained for 4 weeks non-stop, then we got 15mins of the sun setting, and it rained for another 2 weeks.

Anyway, this is about AC dying not how bad our weather is.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:01 PM   #9
ChilliwackGuy

Wow - thanks to everyone for their feedback/comments!

a) I never got a Saturday service call update - the customer service rep said that she'd call back with an ETA and explanation as to why the A/C was broken.

Either way, I told her I’d only be able to pick up my car @ 8AM - my 250KM total daily commute brings me back home way past the dealership's weekday closing time.

b) I was given a 2010 Corolla Base Edition (A/C! & AUTO TRANS) for a service loaner - it runs at about 7.0L / 100KM (CITY/HWY) - so about 25% less gas than our Rav 09 LTD / AUTO and about 25% more gas than my 2010 Yaris. It's a nice car - faster than the Yaris - and to me a bit classier than the Matrix.

c) I contacted my sales rep directly when I had the A/C issues - as he asked me to call him with any problems. Ironically - he had just called my house for feedback after my first month's ownership. Anyway - he drove to my house at around 5:30PM last Thursday (I called him only 15 mins before hand) - and apologized for my inconvenience - as well as he tried unsuccessfully to solve the problem. He also alerted the service dep't that I'd be calling in. To me that's excellent service! If my sales rep failed me in that regard - I'd contact service directly.

I plan to call the dealership today – just after lunchtime - and will post an update soon.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:22 PM   #10
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
sorry to hear that and best of luck .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:49 PM   #11
ChilliwackGuy

OK - I picked up the Yaris this morning @ 9AM PST - TUES JULY 13, 10

a) I was told here was nothing wrong with the A/C - and that it's working fine - if it breaks down again - I was politely asked to bring it back in again ASAP.

Last Wed (7th) / Thurs (8th) were record breaking 32/34 + C degree weather days - and this Saturday (10) and Monday (12) were average 25 degree C days - so even if the Yaris was left outside all day - and they tested the A/C - it wouldn't have been as realistic as what happened last week. (I'll just wait and see.)

b) I'm glad my sales rep witnessed & verified the A/C problem last Wednesday - I would hate to be a Toyota Canada Yaris Hypochondriac! LOL!

c) Final city/highway mileage results on the Corolla 2010 AUTO / BASE CE MODEL service loaner was: 6.85 L / 100KM - so about 5-10% more fuel consumption than the Yaris.

THANKS TO EVERYONE! That's why I joined Yaris World - if anything happens again - I'll re-post under this thread!
Old 07-13-2010, 03:34 PM   #12
thebarber
daily driver

6.85L/100km is pretty good

i get 7.5 w/ i/h/e on the yaris...all city
Old 07-14-2010, 01:16 PM   #13
ChilliwackGuy

Yes - 6.85L / 100 KM (City / Hwy) on the service loaner Corolla 2010 is good vs. my 1 month old Yaris that gets 6.5L / 100 KM City / Hwy.

7.5 would really suck for me! for that I'd have been better off getting a Civic or Golf City
Old 07-14-2010, 02:11 PM   #14
thebarber
daily driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChilliwackGuy View Post
Yes - 6.85L / 100 KM (City / Hwy) on the service loaner Corolla 2010 is good vs. my 1 month old Yaris that gets 6.5L / 100 KM City / Hwy.

7.5 would really suck for me! for that I'd have been better off getting a Civic or Golf City
again, 7.5 is with intake, header, exhaust, 205-50-15 tires and a heavy-ish foot when im alone. also that all-city, no highway

unmodded i used to get 6.7L/100km w/ 185-60-14 tires all-city

ill take i/h/e and the .8L/100km, the fun factor is worth the 80c/100km
Old 07-14-2010, 03:26 PM   #15
ChilliwackGuy

Oh - OK - I actually had a co-worker explain those letters to me - makes sense now - actually - you're doing just fine adding those mods! I agree - I don't sweat the mileage if I'm getting better performance.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:33 PM   #16
thebarber
daily driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChilliwackGuy View Post
Oh - OK - I actually had a co-worker explain those letters to me - makes sense now - actually - you're doing just fine adding those mods! I agree - I don't sweat the mileage if I'm getting better performance.
with intake and exhaust (stock header) i put down 106whp and 107wtq last year...thats stock #'s at the wheels