Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-15-2011, 05:12 PM   #1
car_buff
gm3 exw

Drives: 2007 yaris sedan
disappointed in the aftermarket

I've spent a lot of time looking up parts, trying to gain some bolt on performance for my yaris, the right way, and it seems relatively impossible due to a lack luster aftermarket, and apparently customers content with that.

Until I started looking at parts for my yaris I had never heard of an "axle back exhaust". Seriously, its a muffler and a tip. A relatively minor part of a system whose biggest effect is soumd, which is great, but not what I'm looking for overall. The selection of headers is decent, at least there's that, but why no high flow cats? Easily the most restrictive part of any exhaust system is a shitty manifold followed by oem cats. And all this mid pipe business, why isn't it just referred to as tubing like everywhere else?

The intake side of things is just as pitiful, there's a whole slew of "get rid of my protective air box and slap on a tube and conical filter to the fb". Whoopidoo you have a larger higher quality air filter, with minimal better effect than a k&n oem replacement filter. I've seen a few tb swap ideas, and two custom intakes, by which I mean actual intake manifolds. Why are we content with that when a new manifold getting rid of the silly silencer would be all too easy to make for any manufacturer worth its salt? With the location of the intake portal them selves I'm shocked I have been able to find a real ram air system coming up to a scoop, or down below the radiator. Your kidding yourselves with these "cold air" filters. If you define cold as the ambient temperature surrounding an ICE operating at 170 degrees, then I guess the shoe fits.

Personally I'm not spending the kind of money this aftermarket has grown used to getting for this car. But I'm not content to leave it stock. This won't be easy, but I'm going to start gathering stuff I need to build my own, quality and FULL intake and exhaust systems for as cheap as can be. I know quality and cheap to be an oxymoron in general, but doing the work yourself usually yields the best of both worlds .

Notable mention: NST's underdrive and light weight pulleys are the only performance product out there that I'm satisfied with, a respectable price for a precision machine and balanced product that yields an actual gain? I haven't bought them yet, but they are on the list (soon as I figure out what to underdrive, just lighten, or overdrive according to my needs)

Ps, why are there no brain kits for the auto tranny? I'm a stranger to fwd til now, but surely brain kits will work as well for a fwd as well as a rwd?
car_buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:56 PM   #2
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
u must be lookin in the wrong places. look into the sponsors of the site...particularly micro image. they have tons of stuff.

and about your cat issue, it's illegal to replace the cat before 80k miles...unless it's broken or otherwise not working properly. and it's covered under warranty up to 120k, so why would anyone want to build a cat for it??? jsut cut it off and get a sensor delete kit.

second, research a car before you buy it. if you were so interested in this car you wouldnt care if it had no aftermarket. and if you did research the car before you bought it you'd know there was a small aftermarket for this car. it's an ECO CAR....come on...really??? like anything else, if you want serious power there is potential...but you gotta get smart with it and you gotta do your research. apparently you just want someone to do it for you

there are turbo kits from zage and supercharger kits from blitz. all sorts of OEM parts that will fit most applications for intake like using the bigger corolla throttle body...and injectors. there is aftermarkt support for FMU's, there's an entire section dedicated to power adders. there's another section dedicated to performance upgrades.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I'd love to answer your questions, but there aren't any.

Looking forward to your DIY results, I'm sure everyone will be able to learn something from your efforts.

And by the way, aside from the crank pulley, the NST water pump/alternator pulleys add almost zero performance value. So, why would they be on your list?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:08 PM   #4
big lo

Drives: 2007 VIOS
+1
big lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:13 PM   #5
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by car_buff View Post
I've spent a lot of time looking up parts, trying to gain some bolt on performance for my yaris, the right way, and it seems relatively impossible due to a lack luster aftermarket, and apparently customers content with that.

Until I started looking at parts for my yaris I had never heard of an "axle back exhaust". Seriously, its a muffler and a tip. A relatively minor part of a system whose biggest effect is soumd, which is great, but not what I'm looking for overall. The selection of headers is decent, at least there's that, but why no high flow cats? Easily the most restrictive part of any exhaust system is a shitty manifold followed by oem cats. And all this mid pipe business, why isn't it just referred to as tubing like everywhere else?

The intake side of things is just as pitiful, there's a whole slew of "get rid of my protective air box and slap on a tube and conical filter to the fb". Whoopidoo you have a larger higher quality air filter, with minimal better effect than a k&n oem replacement filter. I've seen a few tb swap ideas, and two custom intakes, by which I mean actual intake manifolds. Why are we content with that when a new manifold getting rid of the silly silencer would be all too easy to make for any manufacturer worth its salt? With the location of the intake portal them selves I'm shocked I have been able to find a real ram air system coming up to a scoop, or down below the radiator. Your kidding yourselves with these "cold air" filters. If you define cold as the ambient temperature surrounding an ICE operating at 170 degrees, then I guess the shoe fits.

Personally I'm not spending the kind of money this aftermarket has grown used to getting for this car. But I'm not content to leave it stock. This won't be easy, but I'm going to start gathering stuff I need to build my own, quality and FULL intake and exhaust systems for as cheap as can be. I know quality and cheap to be an oxymoron in general, but doing the work yourself usually yields the best of both worlds .

Notable mention: NST's underdrive and light weight pulleys are the only performance product out there that I'm satisfied with, a respectable price for a precision machine and balanced product that yields an actual gain? I haven't bought them yet, but they are on the list (soon as I figure out what to underdrive, just lighten, or overdrive according to my needs)

Ps, why are there no brain kits for the auto tranny? I'm a stranger to fwd til now, but surely brain kits will work as well for a fwd as well as a rwd?
You want performance... Complain about the lack of parts, you have been able to find, and yet you bought an automatic.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:37 PM   #6
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@SportsCar View Post
You want performance... Complain about the lack of parts, you have been able to find, and yet you bought an automatic.
+1

and what would make someone think that there is some kind of magic that happens with just an intake and exhaust anyway? sure, a borla and other options can produce a nice little bump in hp, but that is on a motor with a hell of a lot more power from the factory than the 1nz. other than that you obviously haven't searched as previously stated because there are a ton of Vios, Vitz, and Yarii now that are decent performers with nice power bands. on that subject do you even know that the Yaris sedan is pretty much the USDM version of the Vios?

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:45 PM   #7
big lo

Drives: 2007 VIOS
This is getting good lol
big lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:41 PM   #8
severous01

i think i might keep up with this thread....i was serious and non sarcastic at first, but i think i'm just gonna sit in the back and watch as people make snide remarks.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:15 PM   #9
bladesmith6

Drives: 2007 yaris HB
Sorry guys but in this case I understand the frustration, I almost have my 07 LB paid off so we're going on 5 years and I still can't get an intake manifold actually made for this car, I mean WTF!!!! (please garm please,please,please)and the only catback that i know of is the magnaflow for over $500, sheesh...(before you say it i'm already planning on getting something custom bent for alot less)
bladesmith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:45 PM   #10
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I still can't get an intake manifold actually made for this car,
Of course you can, you just won't pay for a one-off (and I don't blame you). I got one made. When I looked at production costs versus the number of Yaris owners that would really pony up the money (and not just say they would), I backed off.

EVERY parts project I've done for this car so far has undersold, some pretty badly. That's either me making bad stuff, or something going on with the integrity of the buyers. Take your pick.

The vast majority of Yaris owners are simply not going to spend a lot of money on this car. It's not a criticism of anyone, it's just the truth, based on my own business experience.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:47 PM   #11
car_buff
gm3 exw

Drives: 2007 yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by severous01 View Post
apparently you just want someone to do it for you
Yeah dude, that's why I'm gonna try to custom build my own stuff, no using any prefabbed kits....

I do intend to make it a diy project for yall, I think a good many people will enjoy my results.

As for the comment on NST alt and water pump pulleys being ineffectual, I'm gonna over drive my amp, due to stereo, underdrive water pump due to cooler climate, and lighten the crank. I think. Still putting thought into it.

And as for the hit on autos, I got the car for extra cheap from a connection at a Mazda dealer, I needed a cheap reliable ride ASAP, and took the best opportunity that immediately presented itself.

I have looked at all the vios, scion and other 1z-fe counterparts, the aftermarket is of decent size, but its full of half system crap. I feel like everyone is content with half ass system. Axleback exhaust are a joke, and the intake available are plentiful, line of like garbage bins on Tuesday morning.

And no, the full systems I want aren't going to put the yaris in god mode, but theyd be better than what we got available atm, and at a cheaper price I think a lot of people would be Interested. Personally a ram air intake on this little car would be awesome. No one makes one and Im not satosfoed with that. Forgive me for stating my mind on that and providing the intention of doing our piss poor aftermarket justice by showing just how injust it is.
car_buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:50 PM   #12
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
I would spend the $$$ Garm, if I had it. I think that some of us are just poor bastards. A few parts I've gotten were used at a discount so its the only reason I was able to afford them, and the seller was offering a great deal. My biggest expense for the Yaris was over $1,100, and it was all cosmetic (new front end from that wreck I had last winter, and I went to you of course )

I'm way happier with the aftermarket support than I was in 2006 when I first got my Yaris. About the only thing out there was strut bars or springs at the time.

Also, I'm VERY happy with my automatic transmission and am impressed with it's performance compared to almost every other auto I've owned/driven. Yea it sucks there's zero aftermarket for it, but I needed a new car and mine came well equipped. Problem was the yaris just came out in WA state when I got mine, and the closest manual was in Alaska at a $2k price premium.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:07 AM   #13
bladesmith6

Drives: 2007 yaris HB
I know you've gotten burned garm, and i don't blame you for not taking another chance and wasting more of your money. It just seems so ridiculous that everyone who was making a manifold for this car flaked out, it's like there's a curse or something. I really can't afford to go forced induction so I'll probably try and scrape enough together for a weapon-r manifold and modify the TB flange myself. if all you've got is lemons, make lemonade right?
bladesmith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:13 AM   #14
Viperoni

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
If there were as many people buying things like headers as there are for civics, they'd be cheap too.

So far I've got over $400 in parts for my header, yes parts only. And it won't stop there.
If I were to pay someone to fab it, I wouldn't be able to afford it.

Who would buy an $800 header? That would make say 12hp/12ftlb?
Viperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:19 AM   #15
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ yep. Like I said it was an observation and not a criticism. It's also an explanation why where aren't more aftermarket parts that require more extensive R&D.

Making an intake manifold that (1) makes power and (2) doesn't cause CELs is not just throwing some piping together, for example.

I'm grateful for the business that is out there, it keeps me in the scene, at least partly.

Let's take a look at the Honda aftermarket scene in the year 1980 (about the same age as the Yaris is now, 5 years into sales). I was there, and there wasn't much available. This is no different.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:09 AM   #16
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Quote:
I'm gonna over drive my amp, due to stereo, underdrive water pump due to cooler climate, and lighten the crank. I think. Still putting thought into it.
i dont get this comment... your alt/water pump pulleys are the same size as OEM.. just lighter... they are also not going to "spin" faster because they are only going to go as fast as the crank pulley, which if you get the standard Lite crank pulley is the same size.. UNLESS you get the 10% lighter crank pully... but then again, that would run the same with OEM alt/water pulleys, so really they are just cosmetic pulleys.

unless i missed the sarcasm in your comment.. my bads
ilikerice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:46 AM   #17
YarisPR

Drives: Yaris Sedan
If u got the money DIY
If you don't like whats out there DIY
If you know u can DIY and cheaper go ahead

I support the DIY thing, I'm from PR so we do things our way and we get good results
Old 02-16-2011, 01:12 PM   #18
severous01

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
^ yep. Like I said it was an observation and not a criticism. It's also an explanation why where aren't more aftermarket parts that require more extensive R&D.

Making an intake manifold that (1) makes power and (2) doesn't cause CELs is not just throwing some piping together, for example.

I'm grateful for the business that is out there, it keeps me in the scene, at least partly.

Let's take a look at the Honda aftermarket scene in the year 1980 (about the same age as the Yaris is now, 5 years into sales). I was there, and there wasn't much available. This is no different.
hey, how about having the pices cut and prep'd but having the buyer havning it all welded together. that would make things chep on your end, and the customer would still have the option to buy, and if they can't weld they can have it done. you can also have it in several materials from polished aluminum, steel, whatever else you wanna make it out of. header kits are seriously cheap that way, and anyone knowing what they're doing can put it together to make custom headers. why not a custom intake 'kit'?