Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-25-2018, 09:39 PM   #1
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
06YarisRS's 2ZR-FE Swap 5-Door Hatchback (Automatic Transmission)

I have decided to give the swap a go. It is definitely beyond the scope of anything I have done mechanically, but I've aways wanted to change an engine and what a great bonus to be able to put a different and more powerful engine in a car. From what I gather, I'm in for an 'easier' swap as I plan to keep my auto transmission and my car is a pre-immobilizer build.

I have read all of the swap threads here on Yaris World by armstrong, tmontague, crankyoldman, atomic hoji, brushforhire several times, extensively searched the internet and read anything I could find about this swap, spoken to folks from NY to CA looking for parts.

By nature, I tend to overthink things. Naturally, I am appealing to the patient understanding and gentle nature of all those who have proceeded me in this worthwhile endeavour.

I have started to accumulate parts. Please, please let me know right away if you see anything amiss in my parts selections.

I started with the right side motor mount. Being frugal and all, rather than spend a couple hundred USD (over $400.00 in Canada) on a new OEM one (couldn't find a used one anywhere), I bought a new knock off mount (~$32.00 USD) and a used bracket (~$25.00) and associated bolts. I hope I don't come to regret the purchase of the mount, but it is surprisingly sturdy and seemingly well made.

Here is a link to the mount, but I take no responsibility if it ultimately turns out to be a piece of crap. Keep in mind that you'd have to source the bracket elsewhere. Also, note that there is no rubber cover on the mount. I'll try to fabricate and attach some kind of rubber cover. Or, just buy the actual OEM part complete with bracket. [UPDATE: DO NOT BUY THIS MOUNT, IT IS JUNK]

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Right-Mount...72.m2749.l2649

Edit (29 Sept) Mount with a little paint and bent bolt. I think the bracket was removed from the car with a backhoe. A chunk of the mount came along with it. Can't find a part number for the bolt as it's part of the whole OEM unit, so I'll take the bolt to a local auto parts store and match it up.

A 2010 Scion xD Airbox, tube and MAF sensor

Airbox with a little TLC. Washed the box and removed rusty clamps/hardware, soaked them overnight in phosphoric acid, and a couple coats of cured VHT Flameproof. I hate rust.

I will be buying my engine (looking at a 2012 Scion and a 2011 Corolla, both with low 40K miles) , ECU and harness within a couple of days. After that, A/C compressor and alternator. The Scion will need a throttlebody as that was scavenged, the Corolla would need the timing cover bracket (Part# 12315-37040) and associated hardware.

My first technical question: In Tom Armstrong's swap thread, it refers to a 2008 - 2009 Scion xD ECU. As mentioned, I am looking at a 2012 Scion engine, ECU and harness all out of the same automatic car. Will the 2012 ECU work? or should I be looking for a 2008 - 2009 only ECU?

My second technical question Most of the used ECUs I looked at say that reprogramming may be necessary. Is this only related to the immobilizer? If I don't have an immobilizer, will the ECU be otherwise plug and play?

There is no definitive timeline on this project and I will have to try to make time around kiddie sports schedules/ family committments etc, though those have never really stopped me in the past.

I will do my best to post pics and explain what I've done - including any and all blunders - as I go.

I'm going to add pricing to give people an idea of what it might cost in US dollars. I'm not including part numbers until I can confirm that they are indeed the correct part and function as I hope they do.

Items Purchased and Pricing (USD): I will keep adding to the list as I make my purchases.

New xD Passenger Side Mount* $31.38 (pic in this post) [I REPEAT: DO NOT BUY THIS MOUNT, IT IS JUNK]
2009 xD Passenger Side Mount Bracket** $35.00 (pic in this post)

New OEM Passenger Side Mount (12305-37091) $181.00 shipping included
2010 xD Airbox, Tube and MAF sensor $85.00 (pic in this post)
2008 ECU (Automatic) $17.59 (pic in post# 6)
2011 xD (Automatic) Engine Harness $140.00 (pic post#16, #76)
2011 Corolla 2ZR-FE $700.00 (pics in post #17, #75, #84)
New Timing cover mount bracket + hardware $107.00 with shipping (parts list in post#18)
2011 Corolla 1.8L alternator (local yard 42 000 kms) $58.06 (pic in post #41)
2010 Corolla A/C compressor $89.74 (pic in post #135)

Scion xD extra parts for:
Alternator, Radiator and engine mounting $73.39 with shipping (parts list post#32, post#114)
Scion xD mipdipe (Aftermarket - Eastern Catalytic) from Rock Auto $324.00
2014 Corolla Engine Cover - $19.30 (pic in post#118)

Running Total $1795.08

* This mount is not the full OEM mount of the same part number. It is missing the bracket.
** I could not find this part anywhere other than eBay.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 11-10-2018 at 09:31 AM.
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote