Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-22-2011, 04:38 AM   #1
xiii

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Stereo Ground Wire

I am totally new to this and this is probably a stupid question BUT I want to be sure I connect everything properly.

I am attaching the wires from my radio to the wiring harness.

I have a ground wire coming from my stereo and I have a ground wire coming from the wiring harness. In the manual it says to attach the ground wire from stereo to the chassis. Doesn't the ground from the stereo connect to the ground in the wiring harness? That is how my old deck is installed.

Thanks in advance
xiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:28 AM   #2
grelise

Drives: 07 YR Yaris 5dr Hatch
You can attach it to either the chassis or factory earth wire, makes no difference, it will still work.
Connecting to the factory earth wire saves you having to find a suitable grounding point on the chassis.
grelise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:00 AM   #3
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Yeah, Ive never understood the secondary ground, but they do it in home wiring too. So I usually hook it to the mounting bolt for the head unit, since it goes into the metal chassis of the car.

Tags
ground wire, grounding, wiring harness