Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-30-2009, 01:16 AM   #1
aucorium
AKA Samurai Racer

Drives: Yaris 2006
Send a message via MSN to aucorium
De-cat exhaust system

Hi Guys

Im thinking of doing a De-cat on my Yaris , and was wonder if anyone has done one with success , is there a better throttle response and what is the power increase all be it very small.

thanks !
aucorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:47 AM   #2
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
The Nitto midpipes that I sold and Garm now does, has no cats, just resonators for a nice sound. There was definitely an increase in power when I installed mine, but then I never dyno'ed it so I cannot tell you how much.

Only problem you might have is with the oxygen sensor, it might throw a malfunction light if it detects there is no catalyser action going on. This can be mostly solved using a spacer like a spark plug anti-fouler for the rear O2 sensor.

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:35 AM   #3
aucorium
AKA Samurai Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
The Nitto midpipes that I sold and Garm now does, has no cats, just resonators for a nice sound. There was definitely an increase in power when I installed mine, but then I never dyno'ed it so I cannot tell you how much.

Only problem you might have is with the oxygen sensor, it might throw a malfunction light if it detects there is no catalyser action going on. This can be mostly solved using a spacer like a spark plug anti-fouler for the rear O2 sensor.

hey bro

AWESOME !! thanks for the info , yeah , i would need a lambna sensor delete , i know they did it to my buddies honda fit , and his seems to be running well.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:37 AM   #4
aucorium
AKA Samurai Racer

how is the system on your car setup ? does it have one of those on ?
Old 04-01-2009, 04:18 AM   #5
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
I just have a spacer on mine, and never had a CEL

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 04-01-2009, 04:22 AM   #6
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
I have 2.25" header back exhaust. No cats and a 18" resonator. I am also boosted. I am going to be putting on a hi flow cat tomorrow. At first I was running a magnaflow muffler and it was LOUD, but now I switched mufflers and it's as loud as an axleback (even with no cats). I'm still going to put on the hi flow muffler just to quiet it down a little more and get rid of that smell. I can feel a sense of free flowing and non restrictiveness now. However, like I said earlier, I am boosted.

Oh yah, and to your question, no great throttle response (atleast in lower RPMs). I lost some torque by going with this exhaust setup. However, my supercharger picks up the slack.

edit: I also used the o2 anti fouler for the secondary sensor. I have no CEL because of it. However, once I put my high flow cat on, I'm going to take it off.

Last edited by PETERPOOP; 04-01-2009 at 01:18 PM.
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:17 AM   #7
aucorium
AKA Samurai Racer

Quote:
I just have a spacer on mine, and never had a CEL
thats good news ! so all that the origional sensor does is regulate emmsions , the one after the cat i mean ,it cant effect richness or being lean etc ?
Old 04-02-2009, 02:24 AM   #8
aucorium
AKA Samurai Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERPOOP View Post
I have 2.25" header back exhaust. No cats and a 18" resonator. I am also boosted. I am going to be putting on a hi flow cat tomorrow. At first I was running a magnaflow muffler and it was LOUD, but now I switched mufflers and it's as loud as an axleback (even with no cats). I'm still going to put on the hi flow muffler just to quiet it down a little more and get rid of that smell. I can feel a sense of free flowing and non restrictiveness now. However, like I said earlier, I am boosted.

Oh yah, and to your question, no great throttle response (atleast in lower RPMs). I lost some torque by going with this exhaust setup. However, my supercharger picks up the slack.

edit: I also used the o2 anti fouler for the secondary sensor. I have no CEL because of it. However, once I put my high flow cat on, I'm going to take it off.

ok cool , shot for the info buddy.

the smell you getting is because the cat is gone ?

i dont mind to much if its a little louder , so long as the car runs better with the cat gone , my little 1300cc can do with every little bit of power , no matter how small , LOL
Old 04-02-2009, 03:02 AM   #9
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
This is the anti-fouler they are talking about:

The second O2 sensor (you have two sensors on the exhaust side, one on the manifold and one on the midpipe) looks for cat failure. The anti-fouler moves the sensor away from the exhaust stream, fooling it into thinking the cats are on the car.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:23 AM   #10
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by aucorium View Post
it cant effect richness or being lean etc ?
I'm not sure about this. However, since I have a hi flow cat on now, I don't think I need the anti fouler on anymore. Once I get a scangauge, I will be experimenting with and without the o2 sensor on.
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:26 AM   #11
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

nah the air/fuel ratio is determined by the front sensor, as mentioned by Garm, the rear one is just t check that the cat is functioning (basically checking if the gases coming our of the cat is cleaner than the gases going in), so if you don't have a cat, the spacer will shield the sensor a little bit, so it will seem to have a cleaner airflow.

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 04-02-2009, 07:19 AM   #12
aucorium
AKA Samurai Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
This is the anti-fouler they are talking about:

The second O2 sensor (you have two sensors on the exhaust side, one on the manifold and one on the midpipe) looks for cat failure. The anti-fouler moves the sensor away from the exhaust stream, fooling it into thinking the cats are on the car.
ahhh i see ! makes sense , how much is the fouler ?
Old 04-02-2009, 07:21 AM   #13
aucorium
AKA Samurai Racer

Quote:
nah the air/fuel ratio is determined by the front sensor, as mentioned by Garm, the rear one is just t check that the cat is functioning (basically checking if the gases coming our of the cat is cleaner than the gases going in), so if you don't have a cat, the spacer will shield the sensor a little bit, so it will seem to have a cleaner airflow.

ahh ok cool !!! no i see how it works , thanks buddy! now i know it can be done. next on the list after my Teins arrive and is fitted , De-cat.