Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-16-2006, 07:26 PM   #1
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
Sport / Racing seats worth the while?

Just curious has anyone bought cheap ($150 pair not Bride $1000 pair) sport seats off of ebay or elsewhere?

I want to replace all the seats in my car with sport seats and build a fibreglass console from front to back to house my stereo equipment, amp, video etc etc. What I dont want is to spend a grand on cheap crap that will fall apart in a few months. I dont want to replace the stock belts or anything (yet unless swapping seats forces me to) just the seats.

I know a few of you (one for sure) have replaced their fronts what are your thoughts?
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 07:32 PM   #2
the_saint
50% borikén

Drives: 06 Mazda5, 90 240sx
Bride seats will NOT fall apart in a few months.

I bought a TenzoR (Rally model IIRC) seat a couple of years ago and it's pretty crappy IMO. Thin padding, cheap material. My seat was black for about 5 months before it started to fade. The model I bought was a reclinig model and the adjustments for the recliner were very rough is in there was a LOT of travel from one point to the next. Also, the plastic bezels around the holes in the seatback (and sides) where the harness would go through fell off withing a couple weeks.

I could go on and on complaining about the quality of the seat. But in the end, it's like they say, you get what you pay for.

Garson - D.A.D. aero
Zuenglein Dolci wheels
the_saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:16 PM   #3
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
The main thing I liked when I changed my seats (apart from the dashing good looks, that is), is that the seating position is a lot lower than the stock seats. Being much closer to the ground really changes your perception when driving, much more of a sporty feel. Plus, my legs feel a lot less cramped now, the driving position is better in my opinion.

I would not recommend it if you are not too tall, as the dashboard is quite high, I'm about 5'10 and I can still see well enough, but shorties beware

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:34 PM   #4
the_saint
50% borikén

One thing I forgot to add. MAKE SURE you try the seat before you buy it! Tere aren't many things worse that a seat that doesn't fit right...and if you think the stock Yaris seat is bad...it could be worse, much worse.

Garson - D.A.D. aero
Zuenglein Dolci wheels
Old 11-16-2006, 08:39 PM   #5
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_saint
One thing I forgot to add. MAKE SURE you try the seat before you buy it! Tere aren't many things worse that a seat that doesn't fit right...and if you think the stock Yaris seat is bad...it could be worse, much worse.
Oh yes that's very true!!! I wanted to go for full proper bucket seats... But... I have pretty wide hips, and I just could not fit in any of them! If I want some later I would need to have them brought in from the US or Europe where people have somewhat larger frames

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 08:53 AM   #6
Katana

Drives: Yaris LB 1.3lt 06
Send a message via MSN to Katana Send a message via Yahoo to Katana
+1 from me!
Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 11:03 AM   #7
mikeukrainetz

My frame is not so large lol. I didnt mean to imply bride seats are cheap, I meant the stuff off ebay was cheap.
My point is I dont usually have 2000 or more in one shot to buy stuff (my wheels was a one time thing lol. Saving for the turbo next year!) I want a cheap seat that looks decent and works decent, if I have to recover the seats in a few years fine but I dont want to have mechanisms fall apart while Im putting them in....

I assumed it would be almost 3 grand to put in name brand seats and about 1000 to put in cheap seats. The biggest reason wasnt so much for comfort as I want to replace the console with a fiberglass unit to move my subs/amp etc from the trunk to the console.

The seats have ranged from 18" width to 22" width + adjustment knobs / levers. What are the outside dimensions of your seats and have your run into any fitment issues?

Also, the generic sliders that come with the seats will they fit or have you purchased something else?

I am also about 5-10 and find the stock driving position a little uncomfortable, like driving my old pickup.

Does anyone have any idea what the stock RS seats go for? remember I would like to buy 4 to replace all of them.

Any vendors here have seat deals?
Old 11-17-2006, 11:31 AM   #8
the_saint
50% borikén

If you're wanting to maximize interior space, you'll have to sacrifice some comfort. Molded fiberglass or a fabricated aluminum seat will have the smalled "footprint".

As for rails, you probably aren't going to want the ones that a cheapseat company will sell you...those will probably raise the seat quite a bit.
In my car, I had a welder friend of mine make a permanent (non-adjustable) seat mount.

*tip: if you want to sit low in the car, look for seats that mount on the sides instead of the bottom.

Garson - D.A.D. aero
Zuenglein Dolci wheels
Old 11-17-2006, 06:59 PM   #9
mikeukrainetz

do you have photos of your install?
Old 11-17-2006, 10:54 PM   #10
the_saint
50% borikén

A crappy install for a crappy seat lol

Crappy pics too...sorry

Garson - D.A.D. aero
Zuenglein Dolci wheels

Last edited by the_saint; 11-18-2006 at 02:47 PM. Reason: added pics
Old 11-19-2006, 01:17 PM   #11
mikeukrainetz

Pics show what they need to. thanks.

I assume from what everones said that any seat needs to be raised slightly, or maybe should be raised slightly. Ill have to keep that in mind. Thanks for the input.