Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-20-2007, 06:55 AM   #1
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
High pitched whine using stock head unit / aux input?

I just started using the stock aux input with my 07 liftback's stock stereo / head unit. I've noticed a high pitched whine whenever I have anything plugged into the aux input and the car is moving. Is there any way to get rid of this annoying whine? Would I still have this problem if I upgraded to a head unit that has the aux input right on it's face / right on the front of the head unit?
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 10:25 AM   #2
07typeS

Drives: 2007 White Toyota Yaris Type S
Send a message via AIM to 07typeS
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
I just started using the stock aux input with my 07 liftback's stock stereo / head unit. I've noticed a high pitched whine whenever I have anything plugged into the aux input and the car is moving. Is there any way to get rid of this annoying whine? Would I still have this problem if I upgraded to a head unit that has the aux input right on it's face / right on the front of the head unit?

you may notice a difference........

is the wine going with the engines rpm, if you push on the throttle a little more does the pitch of the wine increase? this is usually because of a bad ground or thats been my experience with many cars. But you say you have stock equipment so that confuses me.....

if you were already planning on changing out the head unit, id say go for it...........but if its something you didnt plan on doing until you found this problem id say take it in to the dealership........
07typeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 11:11 AM   #3
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07typeS View Post
you may notice a difference........

is the wine going with the engines rpm, if you push on the throttle a little more does the pitch of the wine increase? this is usually because of a bad ground or thats been my experience with many cars. But you say you have stock equipment so that confuses me.....

if you were already planning on changing out the head unit, id say go for it...........but if its something you didnt plan on doing until you found this problem id say take it in to the dealership........
Yeah, the whine does increase when I speed up. My equipment is all stock.
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 12:36 PM   #4
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
bad connection somewhere.

dealership time :)
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:20 AM   #5
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
If it's stock, yes, dealership time. It could be two things, a ground loop in the input chain somewhere. It might be a bad ground. Regardless, take it back to the dealer.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:27 AM   #6
static808
Engineer/Artist/House-Dad

Drives: 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
the whine is coming from the speakers themselves..?? just want to verify...

--B
Old 01-31-2007, 11:39 AM   #7
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

Drives: 07 Sedan Polar White
Send a message via AIM to vodkalush
its a grounding issue, I had the same problem, but then I added a grounding kit and everything went away. Plus I noticed other benefits of adding the grounding kits (do a search there are a few threads about it)

Docotrs say all the drikning has mesesd up my seplilng and radieng

will work for parts
vodkalush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 11:16 AM   #8
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Motor vehicles are the worst places to have stereo systems...they're so electrically noisy! With that said, one of the most common problems is bad grounding, as was mentioned.

I think what Vod might has been alluding to was the "big 3" upgrade. The grounds from the battery to alternator, alternator to ground and batttery to ground should all be upgraded. This will actually be the first thing I do when I purchase my Yaris S. Those grounds will be replaced from the factory and an aftermarket Kinetik or Batcap will be used as a much better battery. This along with a responder alarm from DEI (Viper, Clifford or Ungo) or Compustar. Thesde should be the VERY first things one should do with a new vehicle.

I can go into the benefits of both if you guys need, however, it should be obvious.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:49 PM   #9
enkid

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan
Whine

If you have the device into both the Aux audio input, and to the Aux power socket, then try unplugging the power and see if the whine goes away.

If it does, there is a difference in potential between where the Aux power jack is grounded, and where the the audio jack is grounded, and current is flowing through the shield braid of your audio cable, and that current causing the whine.

The grounding kit mentioned earlier would help. Running a 12 or 10 gauge cable from the radio chassis to the the same bolt the power socket gets its ground from would help too.
enkid is offline   Reply With Quote