Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-29-2011, 08:32 AM   #55
Viperoni

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Congrats :)
2005 Toyota Echo RS 4dr hatch - Cyl #3 bad - sold
2000 Toyota Echo 2dr coupe - The track car - rusty & scrapped
Viperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:52 AM   #56
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrsgirl View Post
congrats on medaling! my hubby was watching the spec miata race and said it was an great battle for first. then we watched hp. he wants to know what happened when you braked, broke, broked? late and ended going real wide? any way great job at hanging in there and regaining third on that last lap! YW is proud of you.
I got to far to the right going down into turn 5, I put my right side wheels on the outside FIA curbing as I drifted out under braking... Normally this is ok, most all of the curbs at Road America are drivable, but when wet they are like ice.

I thought I had plenty of room, but as soon as the wheels touched the paint I knew I was in trouble. So I backed off the brakes until I cleared the curbing, then turned in and gave chase.

I just watched my in-car video again... What they did not catch on the broadcast was me nearly rear-ending Rogerson in the Honda as I went for the pass into Canada Corner. He was on the brakes very early, I just happened to pull out of the draft at that very second, it was super close.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:37 PM   #57
racerb

Drives: 2010 Yaris HB Blazin' Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@SportsCar View Post
The HP car in the rain...

The battle for 3rd was settled by .2sec at the stripe.

The first picture shows my freind Keith Church in his Corolla behind you, didn't see him but another of my freinds, A.L. (Tony) Drum in his Midget or Austin is in the race also!

racerb
'98 Rav4L
'01 Tundra SR5
racerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:49 PM   #58
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerb View Post
The first picture shows my freind Keith Church in his Corolla behind you, didn't see him but another of my freinds, A.L. (Tony) Drum in his Midget or Austin is in the race also!

racerb
Kieth was paddocked right next to us in the Toyota tent, really nice guy, he had a tough week... They were chasing carb/induction/fuel issues, seemed like they spent all week working on the car.

Last edited by Jason@SportsCar; 09-29-2011 at 09:06 PM.
Jason@SportsCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:52 PM   #59
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
epic.. congrats and a great run. my idol
Old 09-29-2011, 09:22 PM   #60
Jason@SportsCar

Got my video together: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm4NJaZ3CHo
Old 09-30-2011, 08:03 AM   #61
racerb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@SportsCar View Post
Kieth was paddocked right next to us in the Toyota tent, really nice guy, he had a tough week... They were chasing carb/induction/fuel issues, seemed like they spent all week working on the car.

Yeah I crewed for Keith years ago when he was racing an ITC Corolla, which was about the same time I raced a SSC '84 CRX. I like following your exploits in the Yaris, cause it reminds me of the '74 Honda Civic 1200 I raced in the late 80s.
'98 Rav4L
'01 Tundra SR5
Old 10-03-2011, 02:21 PM   #62
ilikerice

So you say you lost some top end with this new engine. Do you think it was better to lose the top end and gain speed out the corners?
Or, do you plan on trying to get your top end back, possibly sacraficing the quick acceleration?

looked really good out there.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:28 PM   #63
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
So you say you lost some top end with this new engine. Do you think it was better to lose the top end and gain speed out the corners?
Or, do you plan on trying to get your top end back, possibly sacraficing the quick acceleration?

looked really good out there.
Watching video from last year we really thought the place we were loosing was corner exit, everyone would pull me on corner exit and I would catch up at the end of the strait. We decided to go for Tq, so we could be there on corner exit and hopefully draft by on the strait. It did not work out like that. The car was great on exit, I could get a run, but half way down the strait it would just poop out.

We are going to look at the head again - I still have the modded one. We will either use the modded head (port matched, decked, valve job, stronger springs) with a stock cam, or take another shot at cams - it just depends on how deep the development budget is for 2012.

We had a program already set to go for next year, and engine work was in the budget, but after the Runoffs some changes were made... Now we have to do the math and figure out how much mad money is left over for the engine program.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:05 PM   #64
ilikerice

Now do you think that the rain messed up with your original settings and not for radials? I mean, do you think you probably have a chance to fight for 1st against mosley's crx if the rain didnt throw you off.. Or did it throw everyone off basically? Some ran slicks other ran radials.
Also u mentioned that you were not tuned for radials to begin with and it sounded like it was a last minute adjustment. I'd like to see the modded top in with the torque you have now.

I ask these cuz I am getting skeptical with the yaris performance. Oct. 21 is my first track event. kinda like a PDX thru SCCA, but its run by "Hooked On Driving" instead. So its just some seat time to get some experience and hopefully one day to get my license and do what you do eventually. I enjoy watching your progress
Old 10-03-2011, 06:40 PM   #65
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Now do you think that the rain messed up with your original settings and not for radials? I mean, do you think you probably have a chance to fight for 1st against mosley's crx if the rain didnt throw you off.. Or did it throw everyone off basically? Some ran slicks other ran radials.
Also u mentioned that you were not tuned for radials to begin with and it sounded like it was a last minute adjustment. I'd like to see the modded top in with the torque you have now.

I ask these cuz I am getting skeptical with the yaris performance. Oct. 21 is my first track event. kinda like a PDX thru SCCA, but its run by "Hooked On Driving" instead. So its just some seat time to get some experience and hopefully one day to get my license and do what you do eventually. I enjoy watching your progress
The rain helped us, we had nothing for the front guys in the dry - the wet helped negate the lack of strait line speed, you could make up a lot by just pushing a little harder than the next guy in those wet turns. A race track in the wet is a lot like an autox, every turn is different pretty much every time you get to it. 18 years of autocrossing payed off.

We need a lot more to get out front, more than the car likely has in it. I honestly doubt the Yaris would ever be a championship winning car, we never thought it would do this good. Even if you got the power and handling equal to the other cars, the really high roof is going to hold it back for top speed.

Its fun, its unusual, its reliable... Buts its not likely the ticket to a championship. But you never know, over the long haul rules can change and you never know what will become the hot car.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:56 PM   #66
ArmyYaris

Drives: Blazin' Blue 2007 Yaris LB
Awesome job way to represent the yaris community !
Old 10-17-2011, 01:26 PM   #67
Jason@SportsCar

The SpeedcastTV broadcast have now been broken out into individual races in HD: http://speedcasttv.com/#/races/283
Old 10-17-2011, 02:24 PM   #68
ilikerice

sweet.. I will be watching this again later today.

BTW, My first track day (novice) will be this weekend at Roebling Road Raceway. Tips and suggestions what to bring would be appriciated..

Sofar:
jack and ramp to swap tires during lunch break since its mostly right turns.
Tire temp gauge
Tire pressure gauge

I do not plan on doing alighnment adjustment there. I am not going all out. I am just trying to get some seat time in. I will be with an instructor for the first half definitly. If he likes what I'm doing, I will be able to run solo for the afternoon.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:59 PM   #69
03Z33

Drives: TCR10
Quote:

BTW, My first track day (novice) will be this weekend at Roebling Road Raceway. Tips and suggestions what to bring would be appriciated..

Sofar:
Tire temp gauge
Tire pressure gauge

I do not plan on doing alighnment adjustment there. I am not going all out. I am just trying to get some seat time in. I will be with an instructor for the first half definitly. If he likes what I'm doing, I will be able to run solo for the afternoon.

I like this checklist:

http://www.microimageonline.com/foru...-DAY-CHECKLIST

Have fun!
03Z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:17 PM   #70
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:

Sofar:
Tire temp gauge
Tire pressure gauge

1. Have fun.
2. If you have not done it before, work up to it. Its not a race, just run your pace.
3. Use the cool down lap as a cool down lap, run at a speed that allows you to use the brakes as little as possible, and DO NOT set the parking brake after a track session.

As for tracking the Yaris, it is a short wheelbase car, if things get out of shape it happens quickly. Use slow hands and steady inputs when turning in, too quick and you will upset the car - but if it starts to go, quick hands to save it.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:18 PM   #71
ilikerice

that is a good checklist.. thanks
Old 10-18-2011, 09:39 AM   #72
racerb

I've raced at Roebling for years, if you can add a little more negative camber to the left front, do so and dial in about an 1/8" toe out up front. That track if tough on left fronts, especially on front drive cars. What tires will you be running? Tire pressures can be a little tricky there also, couple pounds here and there makes a huge difference. My Celica is just a bit heavier, but with Kumho V700s on it, I was running 34-36 psi up front and between 30-32 in the rear. On my old Nissan Pulsar which only weighed about 1900 lbs. and was also front drive, I would run about the same front pressures but only 18-20 psi rear.

Have fun and just go into it with an open mind and if you have an instructor, listen close and try to get all the knowledge of car control and apex/turn-in. Roebling is a much more technical track than people think, so be very carefull exiting turn 8 onto the front straight, if you drop wheels off on exit, just keep it going straight and ease back on coarse.

Good Luck and have fun!!
racerb
'98 Rav4L
'01 Tundra SR5