Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-18-2011, 11:31 AM   #73
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Sorry Jason for the thread hijack..

great tips.. I will try to get an alighnment done thursday before the event. I will be runnig Hankook RS-3's... they say to rotate your front tires during lunch because of the wear you will get on the front left. I normally try to keep front psi at around 38-40 and rear around 32-34 in autocross, but ofcourse this is a different ball game. I will probably take your suggestion on tire pressure and just monitor the temps and pressure in between heats.

This is trickly a learning and enjoying the track day for me.. I have no ambitions to out corner anyone.. I just wanna see how to dial the yaris for hopefully more events like this in the future
Old 10-18-2011, 02:45 PM   #74
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerb View Post
. My Celica is just a bit heavier, but with Kumho V700s on it, I was running 34-36 psi up front and between 30-32 in the rear. On my old Nissan Pulsar which only weighed about 1900 lbs. and was also front drive, I would run about the same front pressures but only 18-20 psi rear.

racerb
I know some people like to drop the rear pressure to get rotation... But that is not the direction I would go. It makes for unpredictable handling, as the sidewalls wallow, and it kills the outside edge of the tire. If you want to free up the back of the car raise the pressure - it makes the breakaway much more predictable, preserves the edge of the tire, and effectively increases rear spring rate which helps keep weight on the front tires.

In the B-Spec Yaris we are running 36psi cold (Goodyear Eagle RS DOT R race tires) all the way around, we want a hot pressure around 42psi in the front. Alignment is -2.5 camber in the front, with a 1/16" toe out, and the factory alignment in the rear (I think it is about -1 with about 1/8" toe in). The car is very easy to drive this way.

On our Spec-V that weighs 3100lbs and has no camber adjustment, we end up 40psi cold front, and 60psi rear to get the balance we want. We might have gone higher in the rear, but our gauge maxed out at 60psi.

Rice, keep in mind that in Solo you are typically setting to a hot pressure, and bleeding down between runs, on the track you want to hit that same hot pressure, so you have to start lower to allow for tire/temp growth.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:25 PM   #75
ilikerice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@SportsCar View Post

Rice, keep in mind that in Solo you are typically setting to a hot pressure, and bleeding down between runs, on the track you want to hit that same hot pressure, so you have to start lower to allow for tire/temp growth.
hmm.. interesting, I didnt think about that.. thanks for the tip
Old 10-18-2011, 09:04 PM   #76
racerb

Drives: 2010 Yaris HB Blazin' Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@SportsCar View Post
I know some people like to drop the rear pressure to get rotation... But that is not the direction I would go. It makes for unpredictable handling, as the sidewalls wallow, and it kills the outside edge of the tire. If you want to free up the back of the car raise the pressure - it makes the breakaway much more predictable, preserves the edge of the tire, and effectively increases rear spring rate which helps keep weight on the front tires.

In the B-Spec Yaris we are running 36psi cold (Goodyear Eagle RS DOT R race tires) all the way around, we want a hot pressure around 42psi in the front. Alignment is -2.5 camber in the front, with a 1/16" toe out, and the factory alignment in the rear (I think it is about -1 with about 1/8" toe in). The car is very easy to drive this way.

On our Spec-V that weighs 3100lbs and has no camber adjustment, we end up 40psi cold front, and 60psi rear to get the balance we want. We might have gone higher in the rear, but our gauge maxed out at 60psi.

Jason is on the money about pressures for a car with stock suspension, my Showroom Stock CRX for example, was usually set at 36-38 cold front and 34-36 cold rear. On most East Coast road courses, our turns and transitions aren't as tight as many in the West, so we usually only gain about 4 psi during a track session. The reason I quoted my Pulsar pressures so low, was that this car ran no front swaybar, inverted Cerrara shocks at full rebound at the rear with higher spring rates and a 3/4" rear swaybar. Without the lower tire pressures, this car would oversteer like a rear drive car all the time, not just when you wanted it to.

He also mentioned the short wheelbase, my ITC Civic 1200 had roughly an 86" wheelbase, making it spin like a top if you ever over drove it into a turn. Believe me you learned very quickly easy throttle control and using the front tires to pull you out of trouble. If you get comfortable enough later on in driving on track with this car, left foot braking can help lower lap times, as I use this technic to make the car rotate and still be able give throttle imput for stability.

Once again good luck and just have fun, it's the name of the game when playing with cars!

racerb
'98 Rav4L
'01 Tundra SR5
racerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:52 PM   #77
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Here is my track day checklist, in case it's helpful to others:

http://www.microimageonline.com/down...0CHECKLIST.pdf
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:31 AM   #78
ilikerice

I am already good with left foot braking for autox, but I am just going to take it easy. Friend from autox who also tracks says, instructors dont like to see newbies left foot braking or getting the car sideways. Give the car 75% of its capabilities and the instructor will more then likely sit out and let you run solo after the lunch break.

Love the checklist Garm

I will be monitoring and keeping notes on pressures and temps each heat for future setups. I think I got all the info I need though. I take everyone's tips and suggestions with a grain of salt. I am new to "track" events so I will see what happens for myself and enjoy the weather.. lol

Again, thanks guys.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:49 AM   #79
racerb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
I am already good with left foot braking for autox, but I am just going to take it easy. Friend from autox who also tracks says, instructors dont like to see newbies left foot braking or getting the car sideways. Give the car 75% of its capabilities and the instructor will more then likely sit out and let you run solo after the lunch break.

Love the checklist Garm

I will be monitoring and keeping notes on pressures and temps each heat for future setups. I think I got all the info I need though. I take everyone's tips and suggestions with a grain of salt. I am new to "track" events so I will see what happens for myself and enjoy the weather.. lol

Again, thanks guys.
Definately keep a log of things that worked good and changes that just didn't feel right. When I sold the Pulsar, we gave the new owner a book full of info on camber/caster, toe, spring rates, suggested tire pressures, and even carberator jetting for nearly every track in the Southeast. So when he prepped for the track, all he had to do was flip a page and there was anything from VIR to Daytona. Your auto-xing will be a big help, cause it's much easier to go from auto-x to road coarse, not as easy the other way round.

If you get the bug really bad, our NASA Southeast group runs Road Atlanta 4 times a year and Roebling usually 1-2 times a year. We have HPDE groups 1-4for everything from Novice to Instructor level drivers, with Time Trials and 3 Race Group almost every event. Check us out at www.nasa-se.com in fact we're running this weekend at CMP (Carolina Motorsports Park).

racerb
'98 Rav4L
'01 Tundra SR5
Old 10-19-2011, 08:43 AM   #80
ilikerice

Thanks so much for the nasa-se link.. I do have the bug pretty bad already. I would like to get some information on liciense requirement for track events. They will probably have that this friday though.

Hopefully on my next bonus/tax refund next year, I will get the roll cage (from garm), extra set of rims and tires, and a good bucket seat. I think Tires are going to be the biggest investment.

Worse case, I wont be able to run the yaris and will have to pick up another project car (MR2 MK1 gots my attention). Girlfiend says I shouldnt be running my DD as a track car, which she has a valid point. we will see when the time comes
Old 10-19-2011, 09:56 AM   #81
racerb

Check out these 2 sites for early model Toyota performance goodies, in fact Jeff at Toyz Unlimited might even have an MR2 like your looking for. www.toyz-unlimited.com www.toyheadauto.com
'98 Rav4L
'01 Tundra SR5
Old 10-19-2011, 11:44 AM   #82
ilikerice

awesome, when im ready, ill email that guy. awesome links
Old 10-24-2011, 01:36 PM   #83
Jason@SportsCar

It pays to look good... The Runoffs were weeks ago, and we just picked up another award.

http://www.scca.com/news/index.cfm?cid=50875

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...8349838&type=1

TOPEKA, Kan. (October 24, 2011) – Twenty-one drivers were paid contingency money for the Black Magic Shine contingency program at last month’s SCCA National Championship Runoffs.

Selected by a panel of judges, the winning cars were scored based on appearance and “shine” over the week-long event. Top contenders were chosen based on category, where cars were observed on the grid and in the paddock throughout the week.

Three places were selected in each of the Club Racing categories, according to the program requirements that included a display of the Black Magic sticker on the car. Each category winner received $400, with second place earning $250 and a $100 prize for third place.

The top finishers in each category are:

Production: 1. Jason Isley, Toyota Yaris, HP; 2. Jon Brakke, Mazda Miata, EP; 3. Charlie Campbell, Mazda Miata, FP
Super Touring: 1. Joe Koenig, BMW M3, STO; 2. Eric Heinrich, BMW M3, STU; 3. David Pintaric, Dodge Viper ACRX, STO
GT: 1. Mark Boden, Porsche GT3 Cup, GT2; 2. Jeff Dernehl, Mazda RX-7, GT-3; 3. Kent Prather, Mazda Miata, GTL
Touring/American Sedan: 1. Andy Wolverton, Pontiac Solstice GXP, T2; 2. Andy McDermid, Ford Mustang, AS; 3. Chris Puskar, Honda S2000, T3
Showroom Stock/Spec Miata: 1. Toby Grahovec, BMW Z4, SSB; 2. Luke Wilwert, Honda Civic Si, SSB; 3. Tom Brown, Mazda Miata, SM
Formula: 1. Glen Cooper, RFR F1000, FB; 2. Charlie Schlismann, KBS MK VII, F5; 3. Dennis Marklein, Formula Enterprises, FE
Sports Racing: 1. Corey Fergus, Carbir CS2, S2; 2. Steve Forrer, Ralt RT-41, CSR; 3. Brian Schofield, Spec Racer Ford, SRF.

A gallery of the prize-winning cars are available on the SCCA Facebook page at facebook.com/sccaofficial, or by direct link here.

Black Magic, the Preferred Automotive Detailing Product of the SCCA, offered a similar contingency for Solo competitors at this year’s Tire Rack Solo National Championships.

More information on any of the SCCA programs are available at www.scca.com.

Follow SCCA on Twitter @SCCAOfficial.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:14 PM   #84
ilikerice

awesome, congrats dude
Old 10-24-2011, 09:28 PM   #85
ArmyYaris

Drives: Blazin' Blue 2007 Yaris LB
Sweeet!!
Old 11-08-2011, 01:36 AM   #86
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
That was an exciting video of your race!

I feel sorry for car 98 during SSC. The camera kept cutting away as he showed up because he was so far behind.
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:49 AM   #87
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtNoogie View Post
That was an exciting video of your race!

I feel sorry for car 98 during SSC. The camera kept cutting away as he showed up because he was so far behind.
The B-Spec trim Yaris just doesn't have enough speed on those long straits at Road America. We saw the list of trap speeds from the Runoffs - this is the speed at which you approach Turn 5. The 98 was going 100mph, not too bad. The 99 was going 110mph, in the rain. There is a big speed difference between the two prep levels.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:50 PM   #88
Jason@SportsCar

Some crafty people found the online location of the Dec issue of SportsCar before we announced it.

Here is the Runoffs coverage: http://www.sportscarmag-digital.com/...car/201112#pg1

H Prod is on page 62.