Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-03-2016, 01:49 AM   #1
Bajan_Yarisman
I've made a post!

Drives: 2005 Belta
Thumbs down Check Engine Light disabled by previous owner, need help to re-enable it.

About 3 years ago I purchased a JDM 11/2005 Belta with a 2SZ-FE engine.

I recently noticed that my Check Engine Light has never lit up even when I have experienced problems, under any condition.

When the car is started, all the other status lights turn on except the CEL.

Furthermore, I recently had diagnostic check done, and 3 codes where pulled which should have caused the light to appear, P1605, P1589 & P0717. It never did.

I took the car to an auto electrician and he was unable to find the cause of the issue but suggested that the CEL bulb was physically removed or disabled in some way by the previous owner.

I removed the instrument cluster (its an XP03) and checked it, however the particular cluster uses LED which is soldered to the circuit and it is physically still there.

Does anyone have any ideas what this could be? How do I get the CEL working again?
Could this be solved by me replacing the instrument cluster?
Bajan_Yarisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:12 PM   #2
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Start by checking all your fuses. Assuming your car is the same as my diagram (07 Yaris), the MIL runs off the "7.5A MET" fuse. After that it's time to check the ground wire between the meter and the ECM. Black wire, pin 4 at meter. Pin 24 at ECM.

You'll want to double-check your car's wiring diagram to make sure it's the same but he has likely cut the ground wire.

Cheers.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:16 PM   #3
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
you can use a volt meter to check the continuity through the LED. they do burn out sometimes. then check continuity on wiring harness. then from fuse to battery power source.
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cel, check engine light