Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Canada
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-24-2010, 08:23 AM   #37
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Well done.

Koodos to you for taking this on. It sounds like a daunting task, but research, support, patience, and most importantly proper tools can tackle most anything.

Side note: I discovered yesterday that loaded with three bikes, wife and daughter that I have a rub occuring on my rear right. Guess I'm now gonna have to look at introducing some camber back there.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:46 PM   #38
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
great job! sounds corny, but the best part of all(besides getting rid of that gap) is knowing you did the work yourself! the spring swap was the first thing i did to any of my cars(besides oil changes/tuneups) and i was TERRIFIED at first. i put it off for months until one day i was thinking 'screw it...i'm doing this!'(literally, the springs sat in a box in our guest bedroom for 4 months).

now i understand more how my car actually works and i'm confident i can handle anything else that i might decide to do(ok, maybe not a supercharger install.....). car looks great and can't wait to see more pics!
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:55 PM   #39
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Drives: Black 08 LB MT & red 97 Miata
I love the feeling of having done it myself... I've installed all my mods by myself (except the tint) and plan on doing everything else I do to her myself as well (if possible). Yari seem like they are really easy to work with

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure
and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell
CtrlAltDefeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:35 PM   #40
GrimlockGT

Drives: 2009 3DR Blizzard Pearl CE
Congrats on doing the install yourself!

I like the picture where you have all your tools laid out and labeled.
Must have been nice working on a new car. The images of your wheel well and underneath look so clean.
GrimlockGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:05 PM   #41
Billiam

Drives: '10 White Yaris 4D LB
I agree with Adam....you want to dial in as much negative camber as you can. If you try real hard you can get in the -0.8 to -1.0 range. I managed -0.9 degrees. Or you could just ask the alignment shop to adjust it when you get it checked.
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:49 PM   #42
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy_toronto View Post
Hey folks, since acquiring the 17" rims I've been somewhat unhappy with my new 4x4 stance and would like to see the Yaris get a very mild drop (lowering springs?)

I want to maintain the ride quality and don't want to feel every pebble/rock, dips, rtc. on the road. I'm just looking for a slight drop (1" at most) and something that would not require me to replace the oem struts or need a camber kit.

Any brand of springs you can recommend and/or can recommend a reputable place where I can take the car to get it done around the GTA? I'm mechanically challenged and not really interested in DIY'ing it (no tools).

Thanks!
I would've said something like "a mild drop is either NF210's or TRD's. If you think it's not enough then you could go for DF210's or Progress". But what you got is looks really good too.

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:59 PM   #43
toy_toronto
always toyin'

Drives: 2010 5-Dr
Thanks all for the kind words

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
looks good

MAY wish to check the camber on those front wheels......or get an alignment after a week or two of driving....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
I agree with Adam....you want to dial in as much negative camber as you can. If you try real hard you can get in the -0.8 to -1.0 range. I managed -0.9 degrees. Or you could just ask the alignment shop to adjust it when you get it checked.
Thanks Adam, Billiam, I will defintely get the alignment checked sometime in the next week or two and I will report back here of the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Well done.

Koodos to you for taking this on. It sounds like a daunting task, but research, support, patience, and most importantly proper tools can tackle most anything.

Side note: I discovered yesterday that loaded with three bikes, wife and daughter that I have a rub occuring on my rear right. Guess I'm now gonna have to look at introducing some camber back there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
great job! sounds corny, but the best part of all(besides getting rid of that gap) is knowing you did the work yourself! the spring swap was the first thing i did to any of my cars(besides oil changes/tuneups) and i was TERRIFIED at first. i put it off for months until one day i was thinking 'screw it...i'm doing this!'(literally, the springs sat in a box in our guest bedroom for 4 months).

now i understand more how my car actually works and i'm confident i can handle anything else that i might decide to do(ok, maybe not a supercharger install.....). car looks great and can't wait to see more pics!
I agree, and I was overwhelmed at first that's why I started this thread under the Canada section for this reason -- to find a place or individual who can lower my car. But after reading the forum and got several advise from you great folks here I decided to do it myself :)

Some of you might find this a bit strange.. but I actually had fun doing the swap. It was labour intensive and very time consuming (especially the spring removal part) but overall it was a very rewarding and fun experience. In fact I can't wait to change my own oil, or perhaps install a rear sway bar, etc. hahaha.

Anyway at this point my quest for a mild drop is finally over

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Thanks for looking!

My Garage.. 'Mild' Drop & Misc..2-DIN GPS/Navi..DIY:Rear Wiper Delay..Ramps/Roll-Ups..Rain Sensing Wipers / Auto-Headlamps
toy_toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:42 AM   #44
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

looks outstanding!

Old 05-25-2010, 09:35 AM   #45
toy_toronto
always toyin'

thanks!

My Garage.. 'Mild' Drop & Misc..2-DIN GPS/Navi..DIY:Rear Wiper Delay..Ramps/Roll-Ups..Rain Sensing Wipers / Auto-Headlamps
Old 05-25-2010, 12:27 PM   #46
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
super-clean!
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:47 PM   #47
landrym28
3,300+ at one point.. >:(

Drives: 2010 Hatchback RS
Send a message via MSN to landrym28
Looking' awesome!!
Old 05-26-2010, 10:17 AM   #48
toy_toronto
always toyin'

thanks! I should have waited another day or two before posting those pics.

I just got the car tinted yesterday, IMO it looks even cleaner

I'll post some up next time. cheers

Old 05-28-2010, 03:37 PM   #49
toy_toronto
always toyin'

So here she is all tinted... 35% all around.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:44 PM   #50
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
looks great.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:06 PM   #51
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Such a different car now.

That license plate has been with you for a lot of years now hasn't it. Don't see too many anymore with that number/lettering format.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:39 AM   #52
toy_toronto
always toyin'

You noticed I've had those plates ever since I got them on my 91" Accord EXR, then they went on my '95 Accord EX then now on my Yaris

As far as the looks, I didn't expect the subtle changes I made could make such a huge difference. For example, IMO it is much cleaner once I removed the dealer installed side mouldings and hood deflector, and after I debadged the car. It also appears wider ever since I dropped it by only an inch.

All the mods I've done so far had made a positive impact including the recent tint on the windows. I even installed an armrest today and man, do I feel more relaxed while driving.

Next are some fogs and a rear sway bar then I can say I'm done!

Old 05-29-2010, 02:19 AM   #53
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy_toronto View Post
Next are some fogs and a rear sway bar then I can say I'm done!
i doubt it!

Old 05-29-2010, 10:02 AM   #54
Billiam

Drives: '10 White Yaris 4D LB
Your car looks great!! Get some yellow fogs. The lenses would look good against the color of your car!

BTW, you'll be better off buying the bezels from your local dealer regardless of what foglamp you go with. There just aren't any "kits" that have the right bezels for us. I came across one ebay kit, but then read that the fitment for the bezel was terrible.

I ended up buying the bezels from my local dealer and a yellow ebay foglamp kit. Doesn't really matter which year or body style you get, as the actual lamps are the same. In fact, my kit is for an "07 sedan".

Here are the part numbers for the OE bezels.

Left side = #81482-52260
Right side = #81481-52330

Perfect fit.

Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote