Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-02-2012, 12:21 AM   #1
caineroad

Drives: 06 Yaris HB CE
I have to unlock the car before starting engine?

my car has power locks, and every time i have to press the unlock button in order to start the car, or else the car will not start.

is this the engine immobilizer? if not what is it?

cuz a lot of people even the different technicians who fix my car, change tires, etc they always ask me how to start it.

PS: if i press the remote start, it will start even when the car is locked.

thanks
caineroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:05 AM   #2
matthewai

Drives: it is kinda stock
i have automate remote start, power locks and an alarm and never had any probs with starting whether its locked or not

what brand of remote starter do you have?

and im not sure how you start the car with out being in the car (except with the remote starter)
Old 10-02-2012, 04:03 AM   #3
caineroad

remote starter is oem

so say if i unlock my car, and get in. if i dont do anything for about a minute, the car will lock itself, which is normal. And now i am sitting in my car, if i try to turn the ignition on, it will not start. If I unlock the doors from inside, car wont start. If i press the unlock button on the remote, even though the doors are already unlocked, the car will then start.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:11 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by caineroad View Post
remote starter is oem

so say if i unlock my car, and get in. if i dont do anything for about a minute, the car will lock itself, which is normal. And now i am sitting in my car, if i try to turn the ignition on, it will not start. If I unlock the doors from inside, car wont start. If i press the unlock button on the remote, even though the doors are already unlocked, the car will then start.
There is no OEM remote starter for the Yaris, so it has to be an aftermarket one, even if it was installed by the Toyota dealer. I would start with finding the remote start unit to see what brand it is and then from there you can track down the manual for it an figure out what they wired incorrectly.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:27 AM   #5
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Yet another problem caused by remote start, alarm, power windows, power locks, power mirrors etc etc etc.

When will we ever learn to Keep It Simple?

Scary thought: do these things interfer with pacemakers?
Old 10-02-2012, 07:10 AM   #6
goliath1812

Drives: 2010 Prius, 2007 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Scary thought: do these things interfer with pacemakers?
No
Old 10-02-2012, 09:41 AM   #7
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
technician error

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:23 PM   #8
caineroad

I understand where you guys are coming from, but if I go to toyota dealership, they never have trouble starting my car. I was just wondering if this is a safety feature to prevent theft from starting the car even when they can get entry to the vehicle.

basically i have to press the unlock on my remote to trigger the engine start, otherwise the key will turn to START position and I can hold it there, all electrical works but engine wont start.

Is this really a tech error? I bought it from previous owner, was told it has an immobilizer? just want to confirm.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:28 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I understand where you guys are coming from, but if I go to toyota dealership, they never have trouble starting my car. I was just wondering if this is a safety feature to prevent theft from starting the car even when they can get entry to the vehicle.

basically i have to press the unlock on my remote to trigger the engine start, otherwise the key will turn to START position and I can hold it there, all electrical works but engine wont start.

Is this really a tech error? I bought it from previous owner, was told it has an immobilizer? just want to confirm.
If you haven't locked the car after shutting it off, when you get in, do you still have to press the unlock to start it? If not, it may simply be a "feature" of the remote starter, which is why I said to figure out what remote starter you have.

This has nothing to do with the immobilizer though. The immobilizer authenticates the key. What you are seeing is called starter lock-out, and it is simply done with a relay in line with the starter wires on the key switch.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:33 PM   #10
47_MasoN_47
What I thought I'd do was

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Yet another problem caused by remote start, alarm, power windows, power locks, power mirrors etc etc etc.

When will we ever learn to Keep It Simple?
Then you have a crappy vehicle, lol. Even my 86.5 hardbody 4x4 has power windows, locks, mirrors, AC, etc. All that crap still works fine 26 years later.

My Nissan Hardbody (D21) 4x4 build log
Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
47_MasoN_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #11
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_MasoN_47 View Post
Then you have a crappy vehicle, lol. Even my 86.5 hardbody 4x4 has power windows, locks, mirrors, AC, etc. All that crap still works fine 26 years later.

Heres what you do. Install an alarm system and remote starter. Then spray engine cleaner all over the engine and wash it off with a hose.

We'll be hearing from you oh in a week or two.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:42 PM   #12
suckerface
#1 Lemming

Drives: Light Blue '08 Yaris
Well that just sounds like a stupid way to clean the engine anyways. As long as your smart about the install and maintenance, as well as cleaning under the hood, you won't have any problems.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:04 PM   #13
47_MasoN_47
What I thought I'd do was

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
Why would you spray engine cleaner all over the engine? Apply cleaner to a rag, then wipe the engine down...

I hope your method of mopping the floors doesn't involve a water hose and a bucket of dish soap.

My Nissan Hardbody (D21) 4x4 build log
Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
47_MasoN_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #14
caineroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
If you haven't locked the car after shutting it off, when you get in, do you still have to press the unlock to start it? If not, it may simply be a "feature" of the remote starter, which is why I said to figure out what remote starter you have.

This has nothing to do with the immobilizer though. The immobilizer authenticates the key. What you are seeing is called starter lock-out, and it is simply done with a relay in line with the starter wires on the key switch.
Unfortunately i dont have a manual and i dont know what model and make is the remote starter, although it was installed by toyota it could be aftermarket some people suggested here.

"If you haven't locked the car after shutting it off, when you get in, do you still have to press the unlock to start it?"

Yes and no. (if I start it right away or within approx 1 min after it shuts off, it will start. But if I wait over a min, then the engine will not start).
Old 10-02-2012, 08:03 PM   #15
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Then spray engine cleaner all over the engine and wash it off with a hose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_MasoN_47 View Post
Why would you spray engine cleaner all over the engine?
You'd be amazed how many less-informed people do exactly that.

And yeah, many a mechanic will tell you a lot of electrical problems trace back to aftermarket starter installs.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:10 PM   #16
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Unfortunately i dont have a manual and i dont know what model and make is the remote starter, although it was installed by toyota it could be aftermarket some people suggested here.

"If you haven't locked the car after shutting it off, when you get in, do you still have to press the unlock to start it?"

Yes and no. (if I start it right away or within approx 1 min after it shuts off, it will start. But if I wait over a min, then the engine will not start).
It's amazing how off-topic things seem go on here these days.

Anyhow, it is definitely aftermarket, as Toyota never made one for the Yaris. If you look under the dash, most likely on the driver's side, you should find the little box (typically about 4" x 3" x 1") with a whole lot of wires coming out of it. Look for a label on it with a brand / model, and from there we can look for a manual for it to see if it is a wiring issue or simply a configuration option.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #17
ciscobear

Drives: Toyota Belta
Quote:
Originally Posted by goliath1812 View Post
No
For smart entry vehicles, Toyota does issue warning to ppl with pacemakers.
ciscobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:26 AM   #18
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
You'd be amazed how many less-informed people do exactly that.

And yeah, many a mechanic will tell you a lot of electrical problems trace back to aftermarket starter installs.
Either way will get you good results if you want problems.

Ive lost count of all the people I have tried to help after they did one of these things then couldnt start their engines.

Not trying to be negative here just trying to keep people out of trouble.