Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-11-2007, 01:07 PM   #19
asmodai650

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan Pacific Blue
Hey guys, and gals, I tried this about three weeks ago, but without the K&N Filter. I just removed the tuner tube and drilled two 2 1/8" holes on the side opposite of the tuner tube with a hole saw. Im kinda wierd in the fact that I like to take mods one step at a time to what changes and by how much. Just removing the tuner tube changed the engine sound a little, but nothing in the way of performance or mileage. After a week, I drilled the two holes in the air box. Immediatly the engine sound was in fact deeper, but over the course of several tanks of gas, I have noticed an increase in MPG. I've been getting an average of an extra 20 to 30 miles a tank before filling up again(usually 9.5 to 10 gallons). Most of my commute is 75 - 80 mph on the interstate and the rest short city driving trips, and I am by no means easy on the car. Hopefully after this friday I can get the K&N filter and see what increase that will get me, if any. Also, the stock filter is still in good shape, not overly dirty or oilly. I have just over 13,000 miles on her, so a replacement is due.
asmodai650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 01:39 PM   #20
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Regarding the whole dirty filter problem with this mod!!!

Nope, doesn't get dirty any faster than with the airbox in stock configuration. Mine has been installed over 3 weeks and 2000 miles, and the K&N fliter looks brand new. I would post a picture but it would be pointless and only encourage people to call BS on my finding claiming it's an install photo from the origional post. The filter really looks BRAND NEW. Sorry Chino, no negative results with this mod; hope you don't lose sales on your intake to this less expensive alternative.Also, hope your intake doesn't throw a CEL.This mod never will.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 01:48 PM   #21
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
I did both, and I can tell you this doesn't compare to my mockup, any other aftermarket intake, or my eventual finished piece. In fact, it isn't even a performance mod... its an impulsive hack job.

Pretty much just a good way to possibly get into some warranty trouble and ruin your stock airbox. I wish I hadn't done it.

By the way, I love all the negativity on this forum lately. Why do you idiots think most of the members with any knowledge don't even post anymore? Can you guys try biting your fucking tongues?
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 01:54 PM   #22
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
I'm hopefully going to try this this weekend. A bit nervous about carving up the intake box, but I figure it will get replaced with a proper intake at some point. I haven't yet gone and poked around the filter so I'm not sure what this "tuner tube" is. Or where exactly I'll drill the holes... I guess either opposite the factory intake tube, or facing the front of the car. I wonder if there's a difference...?

Can't wait to hear it though!!
Old 04-11-2007, 02:54 PM   #23
PetersRedYaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
I did both, and I can tell you this doesn't compare to my mockup, any other aftermarket intake, or my eventual finished piece. In fact, it isn't even a performance mod... its an impulsive hack job.

Pretty much just a good way to possibly get into some warranty trouble and ruin your stock airbox. I wish I hadn't done it.

By the way, I love all the negativity on this forum lately. Why do you idiots think most of the members with any knowledge don't even post anymore? Can you guys try biting your fucking tongues?
Knowledge? Must be why your still posting! Just keep defending your intake, I'm only joking with you. You don't need to be threratened by another member with useful knowledge. Your 2500 posts clearly represent your time and dedication to this website.

Last edited by PetersRedYaris; 04-11-2007 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:05 PM   #24
PetersRedYaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Zaius View Post
I'm hopefully going to try this this weekend. A bit nervous about carving up the intake box, but I figure it will get replaced with a proper intake at some point. I haven't yet gone and poked around the filter so I'm not sure what this "tuner tube" is. Or where exactly I'll drill the holes... I guess either opposite the factory intake tube, or facing the front of the car. I wonder if there's a difference...?

Can't wait to hear it though!!
Yeah, it sounds nice. I doubt you'll want a proper intake after you do this as you will like the result. You will definetely feel the difference from stock and should you choose to get a proper intake later, you probably won't feel a difference from this. Wasteless money spent. I think Chino is just threatened by this mod because he did a fast hack job, regreted the workmanship, and now stands to lose sales on his EXPENSIVE intake project.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:57 PM   #25
asmodai650

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan Pacific Blue
Wow, these aren't the reply's I was expecting.

For me, money is tight right now, or already allocated towards buying a new house. Car mods are far down the list, and this mod is virtually free if you have the hole bit for your drill. An aftermarket intake is on the list for me later on, and I am definetly watching chino's for results. If I can get an intake from an American for cheaper, then I will definetly buy it. I know I bought a non american car, but for the money it was the best deal. If Chino's intake works out that way, then it will be the one I buy. Until then, free mods like this are the way for me.

As for Chino's mod being a quick hack job, it may or may not have been, but at least is trying to mass produce it, not to mention help others by offering it cheaper. From the prototype pics I just saw, looks like it is coming along nicely.

Doc Zaius: The tuner tube is tube that feeds air into the airbox. When you open your hood, it will be the piece of plastic connected to the left hand side of the air filter box. This is the tube you want to remove. The holes I drilled into the air filter box where on the right hand side, and in the bottom half (the half that is bolted down). The mod probably takes 10 - 15 minutes to do, and to me is worth it. Try it out, and if you need help, send me a PM.
asmodai650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 04:45 PM   #26
acrbill

Drives: Polar White Hatch
Check this intake out. Its only $39 shipped. It also allow you to keep your airbox stock for those trips to the dealer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-04...00912966QQrdZ1

Even if you need to cut a piece off to make it fit its still worth it IMO.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:52 PM   #27
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
Quote:
Originally Posted by asmodai650 View Post
.... The tuner tube is tube that feeds air into the airbox.....
So the "tuner tube" is the same thing as the "factory silencer tube"... just the tube that feeds into the intake. Got it... no problems. Thanks!

Z
Old 04-11-2007, 07:30 PM   #28
PetersRedYaris

[QUOTE=asmodai650;74085]As for Chino's mod being a quick hack job, it may or may not have been, but at least is trying to mass produce it, not to mention help others by offering it cheaper. From the prototype pics I just saw, looks like it is coming along nicely.QUOTE]

No, No, No, I meant when he hacked his factory airbox. His intake looks like it's coming along nicely and is by no means a hack job. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:47 PM   #29
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrbill View Post
Check this intake out. Its only $39 shipped. It also allow you to keep your airbox stock for those trips to the dealer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-04...00912966QQrdZ1

Even if you need to cut a piece off to make it fit its still worth it IMO.
Ask me how I know that exact intake doesnt work.... cut hacked etc., there was no good way to fit it correctly.
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 08:45 PM   #30
joey1320

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris07LB View Post
Ask me how I know that exact intake doesnt work.... cut hacked etc., there was no good way to fit it correctly.
so how do you know it doesn't work???

anyways, i can't believe theres so much anger in this thread. just cut the shit out of your intake box if you want, buy cc's intake(when it comes out) if you want or buy the $300 trd, fujita, aem blah blah blah...

just give ideas that can help the performance of the car and keep the rest out of the threads...
joey1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:51 AM   #31
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey1320 View Post
so how do you know it doesn't work???
Maybe you didnt read my entire reply.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:55 PM   #32
johnnyfive

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Quote:
Maybe you didnt read my entire reply.
i read it, and i also want to know how you know it dosnt work? heh...

but anyways, you could just remove your charcoal filter, and the silencer tubing, and be done with it, skip the drilling of the holes...but thats just my opinion...because you are not going to be putting more air through the filter, without changing the rest of the piping...
johnnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 09:06 PM   #33
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Quote:
cut hacked etc., there was no good way to fit it correctly.

Meaning just that.. I couldnt get the correct bends and still sneak a filter in there.

Remember, on the xa/xb, this intake snakes all the way past and behind the headlight.. we dont have that kind of room off our TB's, to the headlight.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:02 AM   #34
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
HAHA! The bits and pieces of that intake ended up on my mockup, didn't they?
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 06:31 AM   #35
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Yes. Worked out good once everything was cut way down, for my classified post. IMO not worth buying for having to hack it all apart, and save the MAF adapter.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:07 PM   #36
mangsupir
I've made a post!

Drives: 2008
can't see the picture

Is it only me, or the picture is not accessible anymore ? I can't see the pics.
Please please reupload ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post
Here’s an option for a high flow (well, at least higher flow) intake that doesn’t cost too much money. It’s simple to complete. It basically consists of drilling large holes in the factory air-box and putting a high flow filter in place of the factory filter.

Tools needed:
- K&N Filter number: 33-2360, $43
-10mm socket, wrench, and long extension
-Hole saw: I used 2 inch and 1 inch
-Drill
-Round file
-Small flat head screwdriver

Steps:
1.Remove the top of the factory air-box by disconnecting the MAF and loosening the intake hose clamp. Pull out the old filter and discard.

2.Remove the two 10mm bolts holding the lower section of the air-box. The MAF wire bundle is also connected to the lower section. Disconnecting it is easy with a small flat head screwdriver.

3.Remove factory silencer tube and drill holes as you see fit in the lower section ONLY. The more holes and the larger they are mean the higher flow you’ll achieve.

4.File the holes smooth.

5.Reinstall everything with the new filter.

By opening up the factory air-box the air isn’t forced to flow through the constrictive factory silencer tube. In addition the higher flow filter decreases resistance. You can feel the result and it sounds excellent with a nice low growl. Watch Chino’s DIY intake video as it sounds identical. Also, there’s no chance of a CEL as the factory MAF mount is retained. For $43 it’s a descent intake, but probably not as good as Chino's is going to be.

Almost forgot; for those wanting to retain that factory look this is perfect because the holes are totally out of sight.
mangsupir is offline   Reply With Quote