Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-16-2006, 09:57 PM   #1
eight_heads

Drives: '07 Yaris Liftback
Toyota AUX plug w/ aftermarket radio?

i've got an '07 liftback w/convenience pkg. here in the states so i have the factory AUX input for an ipod or other type of device... i loved having that feature right were it is at.... well, i just changed out my stock stereo to a nice premier pioneer head unit i had in my other car... i want to be able to use the stock aux jack with my aftermarket radio... is there any kind of adapter to go from the aux plug in the dash to say an rca plug? i know how to go the other way and add aux input to the stock radio, but i want to be able to just use the stock plug outlet w. my aftermarket radio that already has rca inputs... anyone?

'07 Yaris Liftback
-Red 5spd w/convenience
eight_heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 11:02 PM   #2
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
how old is your pioneer H/U? some of them now come with aux inputs built right into them. Or are you just looking to reuse the one thats there?
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 11:06 PM   #3
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
I just found the other post with pics of the stock aux input, ive never seen that before.
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 11:18 PM   #4
eight_heads

well the stock aux goes to a plug that plugs into the cd changer spot on the back of the radio... i want to go from that plug to rca or something... get it? i have rca inputs on my pioneer hu, but i want to keep the stock aux jack

'07 Yaris Liftback
-Red 5spd w/convenience
Old 07-17-2006, 12:15 AM   #5
ben dover

Drives: sw20 turbo
why not cut the OEM plug and add (solder) some RCA.? and do u have pic of your radio install. thanks
ben dover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 12:29 AM   #6
eight_heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben dover
why not cut the OEM plug and add (solder) some RCA.? and do u have pic of your radio install. thanks
well i'm not sure what is what on the plug... i probuably will use my multimeter and figure out what is what, but i would rather just add an adapter... i don't have any pics up yet but i've got a Pioneer DEH-750MP and i used the Best(brand name through AAMP...aka Stinger) wiring harness and dash kit(used the factory mount with just the trim and pocket from the dash kit... fit great... and i will be taking some pics soon...

'07 Yaris Liftback
-Red 5spd w/convenience
Old 07-17-2006, 01:03 AM   #7
ben dover

Drives: sw20 turbo
good luck finding an adapter. if you do find one let me know cause i my do the same thing in the distant future.
ben dover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 03:11 PM   #8
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
A picture would definately help...but let me ask...are you saying that there is a male mini-jack end that plugs into the "headunit" and then of course the jack that you connect to in the cabin is the female? If that is the case there is this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TWO-3-5mm-Female...05254848QQrdZ1

or if you can't find it there I have purchased adapters from these guys before with good results:

http://www.audiogear.com/Audio-Adapters-Miniplug.html

Hope that helps.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 05:16 PM   #9
eight_heads

no, it's not a mini-jack on the other end... that's what i want... or rca... anyway, here are some pics of the back of the stock radio with the plug area i'm talking about... and also, some pics of the finished install

'07 Yaris Liftback
-Red 5spd w/convenience
Old 07-17-2006, 05:31 PM   #10
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
great pics....

I just called Car Toys and a couple other places and they are stating that they do not believe that anyone will be making a "conversion" adapter for that cable due to the lack of quantity they would sell. They suggested purchasing a female min-jack to RCA male that is long enough and mounting it in place of the factory cable.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 06:34 PM   #11
eight_heads

hmm, i will probuably just end up figuring out the pinout for the plug and soldering in a jack cable....

'07 Yaris Liftback
-Red 5spd w/convenience
Old 07-17-2006, 11:12 PM   #12
TrancosRt

Drives: 07 Silver HB Yaris
Somebody already did figure out I believe. In one of the aftermarket units install, somebody installed a jack and used the stock wiring.
TrancosRt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 11:54 PM   #13
eight_heads

no, i belive someone just mounted a mini-jack to the spot under the dash, they didn't use the stock aux input spot

here's the pics of echo_hrs' input...

thanks echo_hrs for the pics, hope you don't mind me using them....
anyway, this is not what i want to do.... i want to use the stock plug....since i already have it and like the location

'07 Yaris Liftback
-Red 5spd w/convenience
Old 07-18-2006, 01:05 PM   #14
TrancosRt

Checkhttp://yarisworld.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=wiring post for wiring instructions. I think that the #5 gives the wiring instructions.
It's not exactly what you asked for, but should give you some pointers on where to begin...
Old 07-18-2006, 11:42 PM   #15
eight_heads

thanks for the link... that helped me out alot on what i wanted to know... i went to radioshack and got a mini-jack to rca cable adapter(to use the rca part).... i stripped the wires down and connected the two grounds together and put a spade connector on them... then i put seperate spade connectors for the left channel and the right channel.... then i added t-tap connectors(it's a no-strip, no solder connector for wiring that allows tou to connect to that wire by slipping the spade connector into it) to the gray, green, and red(the one next to the gray) wires.... they wires are as follows:
1. green = left channel
2. gray = ground
3. red(next to grey) = right channel
so by using the t-taps i did not have to cut off or damage in any way the factory plug... i then connected my new rca adapter to my h/u and it works great... now i can use the factory aux plug location as the aux source for my pioneer h/u.... instead of waiting for a brand made adapter i just made my own... it was dark when i did this so i didn't take any pictures... i will try to next time i have the radio pulled out

'07 Yaris Liftback
-Red 5spd w/convenience
Old 07-19-2006, 11:13 AM   #16
TrancosRt

Glad to help out :D
I knew I've seen the wiring somewhere!
Old 08-03-2006, 12:26 AM   #17
Kiteless

Drives: US 2007 Yaris Liftback 5MT
Oh that modded Echo looks great. That is exactly what I want to do with mine, but I want to add an integrated A/B audio selector switch. One of these weekends when I finally get my hands on a dash kit I am just going to do it all at once. It will be time to bust out the Dremel and make a few trips to Radio Shack.

- Kiteless
Kiteless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 12:01 AM   #18
eight_heads

well after using this setup for a couple of weeks it is working out great!sounds great and i still have my stock plug and am using my stock jack so everything could be put back the way it was in like 5 minutes... i will be taking my radio out for a few minutes sometime soon and will take some pictures of the setup

'07 Yaris Liftback
-Red 5spd w/convenience