Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-25-2009, 03:07 PM   #163
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJ View Post
I have two SPST N.O. momentary switches from radio shack and a pack of resistors I was just wondering what combination to use ... I have seen some people use 630 and others 660, I can do either with the supplies I have but was not sure about which is better CTScott mentioned I will have to hardwire the clutch switch into my under hood fuse box ... is this because we dont have the connector near the clutch pedal to just plug it in?
216 to 264 ohms for one between resume and on/off
351 to 426 ohms for the one between set and resume
819 to 1001 ohms for the one between set and cancel

For the two switch method, the range for the resistor for the Set switch is from 567 Ohms to 690 Ohms. Any value in that range is fine. I would just stay at least 10 Ohms from either end point.

For the clutch switch, that is correct that the 07 and 08's don't have the clutch cruise switch connector, so you do have to hardwire to connector in the under hood fuse panel.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 04:02 PM   #164
TylerJ

Drives: Blazing Blue 2007 3dr HB 5MT
is there one spot in the firewall where i can thread through the ECM wire from the switches and the two wires from the cluth cruise switch ? being that they are on opposite sides
TylerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 04:54 PM   #165
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
is there one spot in the firewall where i can thread through the ECM wire from the switches and the two wires from the cluth cruise switch ? being that they are on opposite sides
There's a grommet on either side that you run the wires through. The one on the ECM side is a little easier to get to on the under hood side. The other one comes out behind the battery.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:43 PM   #166
TylerJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
There's a grommet on either side that you run the wires through. The one on the ECM side is a little easier to get to on the under hood side. The other one comes out behind the battery.
What is the best way to access that grommet ? remove the glove box or is there a better way ?
Old 07-25-2009, 07:10 PM   #167
PatrickJohnson

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
no, it isnt' anywhere behind the glove box. in your passenger side floor, find the top edge of the carpet and pull it back (it' only attached by a couple pieces of velcro) and it exposes the grommet pretty clearly.
PatrickJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 08:52 PM   #168
TylerJ

ok so I pulled back the carpet and the grommet I see is attached to some hose that leads to the climate controls ... is this the one ?
Old 07-25-2009, 09:54 PM   #169
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
ok so I pulled back the carpet and the grommet I see is attached to some hose that leads to the climate controls ... is this the one ?
No, that one is for the AC condensate drain. I am not sure which on Patrick is referring to, but the one I was thinking of is the one which comes out just above the top left corner of the ECM (as you are facing it from under the hood). It comes into the cabin fairly high up behind the dash.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:28 AM   #170
tforkner

Drives: 08 liftback 5 speed
I used the a/c hose grommet for my wires. It's easy to remove and replace from the inside. I wrapped my three thin wires (5 speed here) with several turns of black electrical tape to protect them from the sheet metal and then replaced the hose and grommet around them. I just carefully removed the grommet and hose and ran the wires through the hole. I then replaced the hose and grommet in the hole. The grommet is nice and resilient and seems to fit around the wires well. I mounted the switches and resistors in an old cassette box and tucked it into the cubby hole beside the driver's right knee. See my previous post on how I mounted a clutch switch. The switch action is very light so the clutch pedal motion isn't going to break it loose, but I'm sure a good grab with pliers would be all it would take to remove the switch. I figure it will take me all of ten minutes to remove the whole system if I have to go for warranty work. The only downsides I see to this are maybe longer wires and perhaps having to crawl under the car. Now that I've done this mod, I think I could complete another installation in less than an hour. This has got to be the coolest modification (at 48 years old and about 18 cars under my belt) I've ever done-

Many thanks to those here who allowed me to do this!

Last edited by tforkner; 07-26-2009 at 09:34 AM.
tforkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:46 AM   #171
TylerJ

Quote:
No, that one is for the AC condensate drain. I am not sure which on Patrick is referring to, but the one I was thinking of is the one which comes out just above the top left corner of the ECM (as you are facing it from under the hood). It comes into the cabin fairly high up behind the dash.
So if I crawl up under the passenger side dash will I be able to see it or should i remove it from the engine bay and let the light shine through to find it ?
Old 07-26-2009, 11:52 AM   #172
TylerJ

Quote:
Ok now that I have the wires run into the engine bay what is the best way to make secure attachments to the ECM and the fuse box for the cruise switch, using certain connectors or splicing ?
Old 07-26-2009, 12:01 PM   #173
PatrickJohnson

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
the most solid (and convenient in my opinion) place to ground would be under the passenger kick panel, there is a ground bolt there where other things are grounded, you can't miss it. as for the ecm wire, the best way i think is to strip about 1/4 inch of the wire, push it through the connector, and bend the excess back into the slot in the middle of the connector. if you look at the pics earlier in this thread you will probably get what i'm saying.
PatrickJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:15 PM   #174
TylerJ

So I had everything soft wired in last night and it worked perfectly. When I ran all the wires today and tried it after buttoning things up nothing happened. I think my jumper for the clutch cruise switch in the fuse box got moved when I snapped the lid back on. This is the coolest thing to have cruise for so cheap.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:23 PM   #175
WDmac

Drives: Black Yaris sedan
2009 yaris sedan cruise control

Hello, I just bought a 2009 yaris sedan and wanted to put the $10 cruise on it. When I got into the bottom of the steering wheel colum, there is only 1 black wire coming out of the connector shown in CTSCOTT's diagram. Any ideas? Thanks.
WDmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:42 PM   #176
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDmac View Post
Hello, I just bought a 2009 yaris sedan and wanted to put the $10 cruise on it. When I got into the bottom of the steering wheel colum, there is only 1 black wire coming out of the connector shown in CTSCOTT's diagram. Any ideas? Thanks.
I believe that someone else found that as well. That means that the 09 Sedans are like the 07-08 liftbacks, which means that you will need to run the wire yourself from the ECM to the switches. Take a look at this thread, working your way from the end back for more details:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...=16188&page=29
Old 07-31-2009, 06:46 PM   #177
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
I havent seen anything yet I dont think, how do you remove the friggin dash, lol, I dont wanna break any clips, so can anyone post a pic with the screw and clip locations highlighted?
Old 07-31-2009, 07:03 PM   #178
WDmac

Drives: Black Yaris sedan
Thanks

Thanks a lot I appreciate the time you took to post all this info. Looks like you have helped a bunch of people save some money. I'll check out that thread and let you know how it goes. Thanks again
WDmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:42 PM   #179
G6-R

Drives: CHR 1.8 Hybrid + Yaris gen3
I bought a brandnew Yaris 1800 T-Sport 3 doors ( delivery date in about 2 months from now )
I have a original cruisecontrole handel from a Corolla Verso 1800 can i use it for the Yaris Cruisecontrole ?
G6-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:50 PM   #180
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6-R View Post
I bought a brandnew Yaris 1800 T-Sport 3 doors ( delivery date in about 2 months from now )
I have a original cruisecontrole handel from a Corolla Verso 1800 can i use it for the Yaris Cruisecontrole ?
No. For whatever reason, the European Yaris doesn't have cruise programmed into the ECM.