Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-25-2007, 01:32 PM   #1
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Nissan following Toyota's example? Cube coming to the US!

Found this interesting piece of news:

http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/hey,-no...-us-263182.php

Quote:
The Cube is coming to the US. We've been hearing that (and its inverse) for nigh on two years. But if Japan's financial newspaper Nikkei is to be believed, a restyled Cube, along with two additional subcompacts, could hit these shores (and Europe's) as early as 2008. Long the favored hookup spot for Japanese youths, most of whose parents don't have a wood-paneled basement, the Cube will reportedly lead a charge into the lower end of the US car market. A full redesign, which will likely bring the two-box box up to current US crash-test standards, will be revealed next year. Roach clips and Shonen Knife albums, optional.

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 01:40 PM   #2
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie

That looks funny. Would make a nice plush toy!
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 01:42 PM   #3
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Hey, the ultra-boxy original xB was a pretty big hit, and now Toyota has gone and mucked it up by turning it into an obese monstrosity... If Nissan plays their cards right this could be a big hit! I saw one in the flesh not long ago, Japanese import, it's a very likeable car, the interior is very nice, and extremely roomy!

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 05-25-2007, 01:48 PM   #4
Yaris Revenge
GIGA...DRILL...BREAKER!!!

Drives: Lagann. ;P
What's interesting about this is that Nissan will likely be snapping up the customers that Scion would have had if they hadn't changed the xB for '08. The new xB is no longer a pure box, is larger, and is more expensive than the 1st gen. IMO, they've strayed too far from their original, successful formula, and Nissan is going to show them the error of their ways.

I never was a fan of the Box, but I admired Scion for pumping out interesting small cars at an unbeatable price. But their 2008 lineup is looking like total crap. The xB was novel because of its shape and size, and now it has neither going for it. The xD is just fugly, and rumors to be overpriced. Heaven only knows what they'll do to screw up the tC and make it 3 for 3.

~YR
Old 08-22-2007, 09:57 PM   #5
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Well the '08 tC basically just changes the lights front and rear, and they actually look pretty good....so it's 2 for 3 --- for now.

I'm not into the boxes for myself, but that Cube hits the design nice and hard!
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:30 PM   #6
craigq

Drives: '07 Yaris, '12 GLI
Hopefully the engine[s] are better than the QG18DE and QR25DE
craigq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:13 AM   #7
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigq View Post
Hopefully the engine[s] are better than the QG18DE and QR25DE
VQ35 swap?

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 08-23-2007, 02:09 AM   #8
reznunt
Hi!

Drives: EF Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Revenge View Post
What's interesting about this is that Nissan will likely be snapping up the customers that Scion would have had if they hadn't changed the xB for '08. The new xB is no longer a pure box, is larger, and is more expensive than the 1st gen. IMO, they've strayed too far from their original, successful formula, and Nissan is going to show them the error of their ways.

I never was a fan of the Box, but I admired Scion for pumping out interesting small cars at an unbeatable price. But their 2008 lineup is looking like total crap. The xB was novel because of its shape and size, and now it has neither going for it. The xD is just fugly, and rumors to be overpriced. Heaven only knows what they'll do to screw up the tC and make it 3 for 3.

~YR
reznunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:58 AM   #9
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Doesn't seem to have much crumple zone at the rear. I wonder if the rear seats can be removed, like the Element, to create a flat loading floor. If so, the Fit would be retired as the cargo champ in the b-segment.

In the States they've got the Scion, but here in Canada, the only box on wheel is the Element. It's too bad the Element doesn't have a better, more lighweight chassis, with a more fuel efficient engine. The design and interior layout is ideal for cargo duty, in a fun package.
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:59 AM   #10
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
That is a cool lookin' car. I kinda like it more than the xB. How much $$$?

It is a Nissan though, ugh!

I wish Toyota had kept the xB true to its fans, and kept it small and gave it more MPGs. What the hell were they thinking?
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:26 AM   #11
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell View Post
What the hell were they thinking?
They were listening to the masses. I can't tell you how many people would tell me (knowing that I owned an xB) about that "new xB" and how much they liked it because it was bigger and not so boxy. I bought my xB because it was small and square. If wanted something larger I would've bought an Element or Matrix.

However, I can't fault a car company for listening to its public. However, I still don't like the new xB and would much rather have seen the new bB (Daihatsu Materia) come over.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:38 AM   #12
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
They were listening to the masses. I can't tell you how many people would tell me (knowing that I owned an xB) about that "new xB" and how much they liked it because it was bigger and not so boxy. I bought my xB because it was small and square. If wanted something larger I would've bought an Element or Matrix.

However, I can't fault a car company for listening to its public. However, I still don't like the new xB and would much rather have seen the new bB (Daihatsu Materia) come over.
Sometime the masses don't know what they want. The small xB started a craze for small boxy cars. Now they backtracked and went bigger and less boxy. Seems like a step back to me. This little Cube seems a lot more appealing to me than the new xB.
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:10 PM   #13
sherryberry

Drives: 07 Blazing Blue Yaris
Send a message via AIM to sherryberry Send a message via MSN to sherryberry Send a message via Yahoo to sherryberry
I was never a fan of box cars.. just thought they looked real ugly.

-Said by me during a game of Cranium.
sherryberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:10 PM   #14
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
What doe's the Cube cost? I really like it and would consider it over my Yaris if the size (cargo and passenger) and MPG's are favorable.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:10 PM   #15
joe keeney

Drives: yaris 2 door hatch
Nissan I'd rather walk.
joe keeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:23 PM   #16
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post
What doe's the Cube cost? I really like it and would consider it over my Yaris if the size (cargo and passenger) and MPG's are favorable.
There still hasn't been any official word this is going to happen. They've actually been saying the Cube is coming over since about 2004.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:41 PM   #17
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Liftback
I like it. Its like a smaller cleaner Element (which I was looking at prior to the Yaris purchase btw).

Problem is...Honda is VERY fond of their cars...pricing for this thing will blow it out of the econobox segment. Im guessing 19K to start.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:25 PM   #18
sherryberry

Drives: 07 Blazing Blue Yaris
Send a message via AIM to sherryberry Send a message via MSN to sherryberry Send a message via Yahoo to sherryberry
Quote:
Originally Posted by redyaris View Post
I like it. Its like a smaller cleaner Element (which I was looking at prior to the Yaris purchase btw).

Problem is...Honda is VERY fond of their cars...pricing for this thing will blow it out of the econobox segment. Im guessing 19K to start.
what does honda have to do with it? it's a Nissan car.

-Said by me during a game of Cranium.
sherryberry is offline   Reply With Quote