Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-20-2017, 06:28 PM   #433
tmontague
2zr-fe dream team

Drives: 08 Vios M/T, 05 4wd Vibe
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
I'll be inspecting them every year going forward.
FYI, I had also originally planned on pulling the bolts once per year but after coating them virtually the same as you and pulling them to inspect after 1 year, I now just check them every 2 years. Even at 2 years they're virtually untouched.

It's your call but I figured I'd give my input to save you some hassle as your roads are similarly coated in brine for 4 months of the year like ours are.
2zr swapped Vios, oil catch can, TRD rear sway bar, MI lowering springs, In cabin+under hood SSK, TRD shift knob, HID projector/Halo lights, 10mm rear axle spacers, custom header back exhaust, Front splitter, Sickspeed dual horns, Tokiko Blue's in rear, triple gauges, Whiteline bushings, Sparco pedal covers, Viper Keyless entry, DC Sports CAI, NST u/d crank pulley, solid poly engine mounts, MR Racing Flywheel, Konig Dial Ins 15x7 +35, Hawk HPS pads
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:16 PM   #434
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
FYI, I had also originally planned on pulling the bolts once per year but after coating them virtually the same as you and pulling them to inspect after 1 year, I now just check them every 2 years. Even at 2 years they're virtually untouched.

It's your call but I figured I'd give my input to save you some hassle as your roads are similarly coated in brine for 4 months of the year like ours are.
I think I'll pull them in a year anyway just to satisfy my curiosity. I would expect them to be in good shape. After that probably every 2 years. I figure if they can survive for 3 years with no protection they should be fine after 2 with a good coat of grease.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:58 PM   #435
Cartel

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatch
toyota pig iron...I'll have to inspect mine after seeing this disaster
Cartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 03:38 PM   #436
bladesmith6

Drives: 2007 yaris HB
Warning

Well i finally checked mine on my 2007 and glad i did, the driver side was looking really bad. Well coated the new ones in grease and installed with no real drama.
bladesmith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:53 PM   #437
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardPan View Post
My 07 sedan is now 10.5 years old, and I live in Ottawa, Canada, where road salts are just a fact of life. Would it be a good idea to find a mechanic to replace the bolts, before it snaps? Seems like this potential problem would be the last remaining item that would limit the service life of my Yaris. It has only 130k km on it, and engine/transmission seems to be in good shape.
I had my old mechanic in Ottawa switch mine out. My car is a 2008 and they were replaced in 2012-14 sometime ( I can't remember!) and snapped when they were extracting them. Luckily they welded on a bolt and were able to extract them that way!

I'd get on it ASAP!
Old 10-10-2017, 07:15 AM   #438
yaris2011-07
I've made a post!

Drives: yaris hb
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
You can't drive with the subframe removed, but you can drive with the broken bolt(s). There are quite a few more bolts that hold the subframe to the chassis. You don't actually have to completely remove the subframe to get at the broken bolt; you just need to lower it a few inches. To completely remove it you have to disconnect the steering column from the steering rack.
Hi CTScott, can you post the steps that need to be followed to lower the subframe a few inches? Do the bolts that hold the subframe to the steering rack to need to be removed?
yaris2011-07 is offline   Reply With Quote