Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-28-2012, 08:12 PM   #19
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxmike View Post
CT, are we to understand that if we want to do this at home we just need buy 3 quarts for a DIY drain and fill?
That's correct - About 3 quarts for just a drain and fill.

2007TRD posted a nice DIY on the Micro Image forum for doing either a drain and fill or a more detailed dropping of the AT pan to inspect the filter and magnets as well.

http://www.microimageonline.com/foru...ice-inspection
Old 02-28-2012, 11:31 PM   #20
tyrone_yaris

Drives: Toyota Vitz 2007 facelift
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
You might want to take a closer look. The automatic has a dipstick. As for the changing interval - This seems to get discussed at least weekly here.

The Japanese version that I have does not have a dip stick so there is no way of really checking the ATF fluid condition for me

Does anyone have any idea why the Japs would put a dip stick on one model of a particular locatoin and not the other????
tyrone_yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:44 PM   #21
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrone_yaris View Post
The Japanese version that I have does not have a dip stick so there is no way of really checking the ATF fluid condition for me

Does anyone have any idea why the Japs would put a dip stick on one model of a particular locatoin and not the other????
That's because you have the K41 CVT, which is completely different than the U340 automatic.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:53 PM   #22
tyrone_yaris

Oh i see. Do you know where I can get some info on drain / refill intervals for this transmission as the manual I have is in Japanese

Also if a DIY guide to do it is available on the net. Tried google but so far nothing.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:57 PM   #23
yaris4062007

Drives: 07 BB yaris / 06 Mustang Gt
I changed mine at 81k miles , it was pretty dark compared to new fluid. Very simple, easier then oil change.
$8.99 qt from dealer and $3 for new gasket
yaris4062007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:54 AM   #24
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Oh i see. Do you know where I can get some info on drain / refill intervals for this transmission as the manual I have is in Japanese

Also if a DIY guide to do it is available on the net. Tried google but so far nothing.
Here is a DIY for your CVT:

http://www.microimageonline.com/foru...T-Fluid-Change
Old 02-29-2012, 07:01 AM   #25
tyrone_yaris

Thanks CT Scott.

In the 4th point - I cant actually make out the location of the CVT refill hole.

In the 5th point - why do you have to let the oil drain till it slows to a slow drip?

Thanks
Old 02-29-2012, 09:24 AM   #26
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Thanks CT Scott.

In the 4th point - I cant actually make out the location of the CVT refill hole.

In the 5th point - why do you have to let the oil drain till it slows to a slow drip?

Thanks
I don't have photo of the location of the filler hole, but from this larger diagram you can see two round areas on the end opposite where the transmission meets the engine. The plug is located on the right side of the lower round area. It is a larger head bolt then the others around it and is has a thin gasket visible around its edges.

CVT Fill.jpg
Old 03-07-2012, 01:27 AM   #27
caineroad

Drives: 06 Yaris HB CE
can anyone take pic of the drain plug? i can't find it under the car...
caineroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:12 AM   #28
CTScott
ULTIMATE

AT Drain Plug.jpg
Old 03-07-2012, 10:19 AM   #29
pennyracer
boydstir

Drives: 08 yaris liftback
Send a message via AIM to pennyracer Send a message via Yahoo to pennyracer
bolt size is 10mm allen wrench or 10mm allen socket drain and fill 3 quarts is what i used but i dont think i used the full third quart check after 2 1/2 quarts and so on its a easy job
pennyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #30
caineroad

Drives: 06 Yaris HB CE
Thank you very much indeed! time to do my fluid change!!
caineroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:03 AM   #31
AallTechTrans

Drives: AallTechTrans
Garage Vancouver

According to me you can get help at Alta tech. They offer best auto fluid replacement services, complete repair at low cost.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:19 AM   #32
DARKSCOPE001

Drives: 2011 Yaris sedan
I have one of these http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...do?from=Search

I have used it on other cars. But on my quick mechanical analysis of the yaris. This car is almost made to be worked on! I mean im almost drooling to do an oil change on this thing and I havent even had it for 1000 miles yet.

I also took a look at the drain for the tranny. Piece of cake! invest in a alen socket for a 3/8 ratchet and do the thing yourself. And do it right. Replace the gasket and use toyota ATF I cheeped out and used universal atf in my old hyundai but it was a beater I didnt care.

Your already saving tons of money and doing it the right way (not the jiffy-idiot way)

But going back to the fluid extracor. It never hurts to change the fluid. So I might use it for intermediate changes between actual changes. Keep those transmissions clean boys! and they will last you many years of good hard service. Ive seen auto boxes go 300,000+ miles and ive seen them fail as early as 100,000 its all about the care, dont abuse them and change fluid and filter regularly.

Thanks
Sean Scott
DARKSCOPE001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:02 AM   #33
AallTechTrans

Drives: AallTechTrans
Garage Vancouver

According to me you can get help at Aalltech. They offer best auto fluid replacement services, complete repair at low cost.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #34
oliveskate

Drives: Toyota Yaris
Also just wanted to include, that I would only use Toyota recommended fluid. I've seen plenty of time's when people use other transmission fluid, and it "burns" up right away, and the transmission doesn't shift as well. Spend the little more money and do it right. Don't forget to get a new gasket for the transmission plug. (Won' hurt to change it, every transmission service)
oliveskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:27 PM   #35
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
That is pretty amusing and definitely not correct. Modern automatics should not be pressure flushed, so simple drain and refill is all that is required. A complete draining would actually require removing the transmission and disassembling to purge the valve body and torque converter.

I personally have done a fluid change (twice) on my snow plowing Yaris. The first time I used Dextron IV and I did notice that it didn't shift as smoothly cold, so I drained it again and I used Toyota WS ATF.
IIRC, doesn't the manual state the tranny pump needs to be wired up to flush out the AT fluid?

Tranny fluid change is part of scheduled maintenance in Canada, IIRC.
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #36
07typeS

Drives: 2007 White Toyota Yaris Type S
Send a message via AIM to 07typeS
What is the gasket replacement you guys are talking about? Is there a gasket on the allen bolt you remove to drain? If anyone has a part number for it id appreciate it..
TRD Springs w/ KYB Struts and Shocks, Custom CAI w/ K&N filter and pre filter wrap, Weapon R Header, Stock 15 inch alloys, Dezod Performance pads, Tanabe Front Strut Bar, 35% front door Tint and 20% Rear doors back Tint, De-Badged Ass, Custom painted flat black interior, Pioneer deh-p6700bt w/ IPOD hookup, Infinity components up front with custom mounted tweeter, Inifinity 6x9's out back, 1 12" kicker comp cvr........
07typeS is offline   Reply With Quote