Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-09-2011, 12:49 PM   #1
Carrot Top

Drives: 2008 Copper Orange LE HB
Has anyone had their Water Pump replaced?

I had my 2008 HB in for maintenance last week and was surprised that the dealership told me that the water pump is leaking and should be replaced. I have the extended warranty til 200,000km, so it didn't cost me any $$. My mileage is only 95,000kms.

I was wondering if anyone else has had to replace the waterpump? I am thankful that I bought the extended warranty!! I have had to replace the ABS sensor and water pump & the extended warranty only cost me $1200.00. These repairs would have put a deep dent into my wallet.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
Maxh91

Drives: Red 3 Dr HB 2008 Auto.
I changed mine 3 week ago at 41000 KM. A friend who have a 2007 (+- 40 000 KM) had the same problem. He work at the dealership where I bought my car and he ask me if my waterpump was leaking. Thanks to him!
Maxh91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:00 PM   #3
carnageehw

Drives: 2010 Fusion Hybrid
"Extended warranty? How can I lose??!?"

09 Yaris at 120,000kms and haven't had any problem like that.
carnageehw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:14 AM   #4
teddy

Drives: 2008 5-door hatchback
Send a message via MSN to teddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageehw View Post
"Extended warranty? How can I lose??!?"

09 Yaris at 120,000kms and haven't had any problem like that.
Maybe not, but I think the reason to buying the extended warranty is more for the "what if I do have problems?" It only takes a few things before the warranty is worth it. In additions you have peace of mind that if something DOES then you don't need to pocket the expense.

PS: That's a lot of driving to rack up 120,000km on an 09!
teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:44 AM   #5
hyprmiler
It's cold in Wisconsin...

Drives: 2008 and 2009 Yaris Sedans
not to start an argument over warranties, but I've found that putting a little bit away every month and budget for a repair before it happens saves over buying an extended warranty if you plan on keeping the car for an extended period of time.

glad you got your pump replaced at no cost to you though!
Old 09-14-2012, 05:16 AM   #6
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyprmiler View Post
not to start an argument over warranties, but I've found that putting a little bit away every month and budget for a repair before it happens saves over buying an extended warranty if you plan on keeping the car for an extended period of time.
Companies make money on the warranties they sell. Its that simple. Statistically the consumer SAVES money by not getting the extended warranty.

I told the Toyota dealer when I bought the car (and they twisted my arm to extend the warranty) "Im paying top dollar to buy a Toyota when I would save money buying a Korean car. If anything serious goes wrong with the car I wont be buying another Toyota!"
Old 09-14-2012, 05:44 AM   #7
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
225,703 miles -- original water pump still on the car.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:34 PM   #8
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Companies make money on the warranties they sell. Its that simple. Statistically the consumer SAVES money by not getting the extended warranty.

I told the Toyota dealer when I bought the car (and they twisted my arm to extend the warranty) "Im paying top dollar to buy a Toyota when I would save money buying a Korean car. If anything serious goes wrong with the car I wont be buying another Toyota!"
I got the usual pressure to purchase the extended warranty (to 100K) when I bought mine with 34,000 miles on it. I made the correct prediction that it would be extremely unlikely for anything expensive to go wrong before 100K on a Yaris. I'm now at 126,000 and have not needed a single repair. It's still like new.

I think they wanted something around $1,000. Would have been 1,000 profit for them.

Last edited by Kal-El; 09-15-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:16 PM   #9
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:

^^^^^This. In addition you don't have to worry about the warranty company going out of business/declaring bankruptcy, nor trying to deny your claim.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:23 PM   #10
Gogogordy

Drives: Miss my Yaris, love my Jeep jk
Quote:

I agree....been burned a time or two on "extended warranties" with their "exclusions" etc., but I suppose it's a personal choice.

The profit margins are quite high on those programs, and the Finance rep at the dealership makes a very nice spiff for selling them, so pricing is quite negotiable....don't pay list!

You're betting against the house when you buy a warranty plan in any case, so my last advice is to make sure the underwriting company is a reputable one (Toyota, Zurich, etc) so do your due diligence BEFORE signing up for that warranty plan.

When I'm not driving my Yaris, I'm doing this:
http://gogogordy1.wix.com/scooter-aficionado
Gogogordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:50 AM   #11
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
I'm at 192,000 and no water pump issues ... most likely something at the factory when they installed it I would think?
devinlamothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:00 PM   #12
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by devinlamothe View Post
I'm at 192,000 and no water pump issues ... most likely something at the factory when they installed it I would think?
No, they just go out sometimes. In fact, when I had a Honda they recommend replacing the water pump the same time you replace your timing belt.

My last car (a GM model) had the water pump go out when it had just 8000 miles on it.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:55 AM   #13
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
Not to continue an argument over warranties, considering you could buy the pump yourself for <$100, and pay a family run garage <$100 to do it...instead of having the dealership charge the warranty $700 to do it...
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:18 PM   #14
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Quote:
Originally Posted by swidd View Post
Not to continue an argument over warranties, considering you could buy the pump yourself for <$100, and pay a family run garage <$100 to do it...instead of having the dealership charge the warranty $700 to do it...
Parts + Me = Under $68
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:58 PM   #15
thepartsmancometh

Drives: '08 LB, '07 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by swidd View Post
just FYI: warranties pay LESS than retail in both parts and labor for repairs. As a toyota parts guy, I routinely get screwed by warranty pricing lol.

in response to the OP. we rarely see this on the Yaris in comparison to other models. We stock ONE yaris W.P. We stock 4-5 of all other major models as W.P's are very common with the newer toyota's. There is some internal speculation that the increased W.P. rate is due to the pink coolant formulation. we didn't have near the problem with red coolant
thepartsmancometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:28 PM   #16
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by codachase1 View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have 126,000 miles on my Yaris Basic (USA), and the bearing could be heard for the last 6 or so thousand miles. I mistakenly thought it was the altinator bearing. I got the serpentine belt off and spun the altinator...smooth as glass good bearings. Everything seemed fine as I scratched my head wondering. I started the engine up without the serpentine belt in place...no noise. This told me it had to be the something that the serpentine belt spun up...the altinator, water pump, or air conditioner pump. I turned everything...all the bearings seemed fine. I then brushed my hand under the water pump, their was partially dried gunk their. A closer look revealed antifreeze leaking so slowly from the bottom of the water pump that it dried their to form a crust. The hole in the bottom of the water pump lets it leak out their if the seals fail. I replaced the water pump, that was my problem. I believe the seals failed letting antifreeze leak into the water pump bearings, thus the bearings started to fail. The failing bearing sang their warning song for 2 months before I troubleshot the problem. I am thankful for that. But a little disappointed in the quiality of the water pump. Hopefully the next one lasts longer.

Well, with 126,000 miles on a water pump, I wouldn't call that low quality. That's longer than the industry average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepartsmancometh View Post
just FYI: warranties pay LESS than retail in both parts and labor for repairs. As a toyota parts guy, I routinely get screwed by warranty pricing lol.

in response to the OP. we rarely see this on the Yaris in comparison to other models. We stock ONE yaris W.P. We stock 4-5 of all other major models as W.P's are very common with the newer toyota's. There is some internal speculation that the increased W.P. rate is due to the pink coolant formulation. we didn't have near the problem with red coolant
Hmm. Thanks for the info.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 03:35 AM   #17
codachase1
I've made a post!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007 (Basic)
water pump bearings and leaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrot Top View Post
I had my 2008 HB in for maintenance last week and was surprised that the dealership told me that the water pump is leaking and should be replaced. I have the extended warranty til 200,000km, so it didn't cost me any $$. My mileage is only 95,000kms.

I was wondering if anyone else has had to replace the waterpump? I am thankful that I bought the extended warranty!! I have had to replace the ABS sensor and water pump & the extended warranty only cost me $1200.00. These repairs would have put a deep dent into my wallet.

I have 126,000 miles on my Yaris Basic (USA), and the bearing could be heard for the last 6 or so thousand miles. I mistakenly thought it was the altinator bearing. I got the serpentine belt off and spun the altinator...smooth as glass good bearings. Everything seemed fine as I scratched my head wondering. I started the engine up without the serpentine belt in place...no noise. This told me it had to be the something that the serpentine belt spun up...the altinator, water pump, or air conditioner pump. I turned everything...all the bearings seemed fine. I then brushed my hand under the water pump, their was partially dried gunk their. A closer look revealed antifreeze leaking so slowly from the bottom of the water pump that it dried their to form a crust. The hole in the bottom of the water pump lets it leak out their if the seals fail. I replaced the water pump, that was my problem. I believe the seals failed letting antifreeze leak into the water pump bearings, thus the bearings started to fail. The failing bearing sang their warning song for 2 months before I troubleshot the problem. I am thankful for that. But a little disappointed in the quiality of the water pump. Hopefully the next one lasts longer.
codachase1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 05:19 AM   #18
Kongo-Otto

Drives: '09 Yaris & '10 Auris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrot Top View Post

My 09 Yaris has been serviced last month and got a new water pump, too. 12.000km driven so far. Mechanic told me the pump had a minor leak. I´ve got a new one and did not have to pay anything for it.
Kongo-Otto is offline   Reply With Quote