Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-07-2009, 03:49 AM   #1
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Sedan Door Panel Deadening

I have many more pictured than what is actually shown here. This should give anyone who wants a look inside the door of a sedan a pretty darned good idea of what to expect with a proper deadening of the door.

My my...this looks like a door:

The power controls removed. It is just one screw and the removal of the control panel:

The sail panel removed:

The door skin off, with the handle screw, the pop pin right below the sail panel removed, and the moisture barrier tossed:

Laying down deadening on the outer door skin:

A Dynasorb panel added behind the stock speaker:

Building a base to put the deadeing over, it's initially placed with hot glue and then silicone:

Deadening of inner door skin:

I put a second layer on the bigger "open" areas that have the reinforcement under it:

1/4" of Ensolite roughly cut to fit the door:

This is GREAT contact glue:

The Ensolite on the door panel:

Here's the lock and handle lines wrapped in Ensolite...juuuust in case:

After the Ensolite was put on, I trimmed it up a little bit. The inside door panel had some styrofoam that I removed. I put more deadening on the panel itself. When I get some time I'll take some corrugated egg crate foam and hit the rear bottom of the panel for my own satisfaction.

The door panel already had a nice solid sound when it closed...now, it's a very satisfying, weighty sound. I'll kick up another posting when I do the trunk and the floor pan. It's going to be a few months before the Hybrid Audio L841-3 set goes in. Of course, the pictures will follow with that. The alarm comes first...It's a nice little AutoPage RS-1000. That happens next month. No pictures on that, sorry!

Last edited by sqcomp; 12-12-2009 at 09:22 AM.
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:50 AM   #2
WolfWings

Drives: Silver 2007 3Dr - Gryph
Very nice. The ONLY thing you could have done more over-the-top would have been to ensolite the interior of the door before sealing it up like I did. Good find on those DynaXorb squares, those are one of the few Dynamat products I consider worth the money.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:25 AM   #3
staticorex

Drives: Sc'd Yaris Sedan.
Wow. That is overkill. :p Looks great and professional, I just have some dynomat and I don't have any problems. How much weight does all that add?
Old 05-07-2009, 12:23 PM   #4
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Wolf,

I hear you. I took my time on this door...seeing as it was my first Yaris door. I'm planning on doing a little more trimming and some more addidtions. The problem for me right now is that I don't have the component set in yet. There are several things I want to do before that happens. The other issue is that this component set has an 8" mid woofer...

*chuckle*

...I'm thinking about fitment issues and clearance issues. Until I get that midwoofer mocked up on that door, I really shouldn't go all out. You understand I'm sure. An 8" woofer goes in a 6" cutout. I LOVED Toyota's three factory rivets for the speaker too! On one hand I was saying, "WTF?!?!" And on the other it was something like, "Interesting...time savings, solid mounting, and good engineering. Nice."

I suppose the entire point of my response is, Yup. I'll get there eventually.

Those dynasorb square will pay off for me with the bigger midwoofers. Right now the sound has changed so drastically in the door that while still using the stock system, I'm still not going to get the full effect as I would with an aftermarket set. But oh boy, that aftermarket set is sweeeeet. 8" midwoof, 4" midrange, and a 1" tweeter of build and engineer quality like no one's ever seen...

Static,

Oh I hear you on the overkill part! I really could have stopped with the three sheets of deadening. It looked great on it's own. That's what my two friends (who own the shop where I did this) mentioned. They loved the idea of them not having to do this! LOL! Our goal though demands this type over "over the top" mentality when it comes to sound deadening. Especially in the noisy little Yaris. Next year this car will be working the IASCA SQ circuit. There's a Toyota Echo owner I really want to meet who has a world championship winning vehicle with a 10" woofer in the dash. The three sheets of matting was probably about five pounds perhaps (I may be underestimating). The two layers of Ensolite was VERY light. That is just a sound absorber and doesn't REALLY add any significant mass. I'll be adding a dash mat with some Ensolite on the underside of it to kill dash reflections when we mount the tweeters in the a pillars. All in all, the weight added to the door is not much BUT...you do feel a big difference when closing the door and with the way even the stock speakers respond.

The root cause for me however was the talk on this board (one member in particular who is very close to me locally) that I had no substance to the advice I was dishing out. Well...I've decided to have some people eat crow. When they tell you guys that you can't have a good sounding system with a factory source (amongst other things)? Then they say I have a messiah complex when I tell them they're absolutely wrong. I have motivation to say the least.

I suppose the other question someone might ask is how long did this take me for one door? Well, the answer isn't given at a "working" pace. It is given at a have an amber ale (Lagunitas Censored is a bit to hoppy for me, the Pine Cone amber is next week)and a take your time pace. I started a 4pm and finished at 11:30pm. *chuckle* I know...that's a LOT of time. Well, it's the first door, I'm taking EVERY detail in, talking with my friends on little details, and I'm not trying to screw it up (or loose a drop of beer). There was plenty of staring and contemplating what I wanted to REALLY do and how far to take the whole thing in this session. As per my signature I was VERY patient. The passenger's side door panel I'll do next week. That'll probably take less than half the time with improved results. I'm satisfied with it so far. I know that once the component set is in there that I'll be playing "catch up to the squeak"! Mr. Murphy will definately be in my front end (especially the door panels) with 300 available Watts per speaker! Yes, I'm WAY overkilling the power availability for the component set. These Legatia Pro tweeters will be working for the money! Count on that! ...Actually in all fairness, I don't even listen to my music as loud as probably 90% of people out there. So the amplifiers won't even be breaking anywhere close to a sweat (the gains will barely be cracked open). Three amplifiers for the component set. Thank the lord for the phrase HEADROOM!

You'll be seeing not only this car but an old Malibu get worked over for some killer systems.

Last edited by sqcomp; 05-07-2009 at 12:40 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:42 PM   #5
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
can't see the images mang.... repost or pm me for me e-mail.

also... neighbors moved... so i'm finding it very difficult to steal wifi now. I usually only get on for about 5-10mins at work now days
Old 05-11-2009, 05:08 AM   #6
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

I must have done something on photobucket to screw that up. It's all back up. Sorry to hear about the lack of wi-fi brudda. I'll tell you, I could really use you up at the shop on Tuesday. An extra set of hands for the passenger's side deadening would make it go fast!

I might get the trunk lid done on tuesday too. I bought some Daptex latex foam to fill the skeleton of the trunk lid. Got the blue tape ready to hold everything in. I'll spare you guys more door pics...maybe I'll post one of the rear doors just to look at. I gues I'll put up the trunk lid though. Something tells me that thing will be too heavy to keep open...
Old 05-11-2009, 05:19 AM   #7
808_Yaris
Where is Oahu?

Drives: 5-door meteorite metallic
looking good! i need to sound deaden my car soon tooo!!
808_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:32 AM   #8
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

I welcome any questions about the process. I'd be happy to help too if you buy the plane ticket!
Old 05-11-2009, 11:11 AM   #9
808_Yaris
Where is Oahu?

Drives: 5-door meteorite metallic
You sound deafened all your door panels?
808_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:53 AM   #10
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Not yet. I'm doing a single part, depending on if I have an extra pair of hands at the shop, every week. Tomorrow, I'll be deadening the passenger's door and probably the trunk lid (because I have an extra pair of hands). I may do the rear doors on Saturday if I can find some time after getting attacked by a WCSO dog...

Gotta have fun! Here doggy!
Old 05-11-2009, 04:33 PM   #11
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
looks good.... *looks around* ok, back to work. I'd be there on saturday but I promised the GF we'd go backpacking. 2 hrs each way is a bit far for me to drive for an evening unless I don't have to be at work early the next day (or can get off a few hrs early) .... by the time i'd get there i'd only have a lil time until i'd want to drive back home.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:53 AM   #12
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

It's all good. Something tells me I'll survive. Besides, I've got some Lagunitas Censored Amber Ale to keep me busy at the shop. Bring on the passenger's side! Woot!
Old 05-12-2009, 01:58 AM   #13
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Its really gona suck when your window regulator or doo rloc actuator goes bad lol.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:52 AM   #14
WolfWings

Drives: Silver 2007 3Dr - Gryph
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
Its really gona suck when your window regulator or doo rloc actuator goes bad lol.
Yeah... one of the reasons I bought a Yaris with manual windows and manual locks, since I knew I'd be sealing up the doors with sound deadener.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:16 AM   #15
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

You say so but the thing is, it really doesn't worry me. All that'll happen is I'll open up the panel and remove the deadening on the access holes. I know where the mounts are for the motors and it looks like it comes off in one piece.

If the motors go dead, it'll give me a chance to use Autoloc products. It'd be pretty cool to shave the door handles on a Yaris sedan. Suicide doors might go too far...
Old 05-12-2009, 02:08 PM   #16
abdallah380
Fly Emirates :)

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
so by doing this will it also stop the annoying rattle when u drive over rough surface or bumps?
abdallah380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:42 AM   #17
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

That one made me smile abdallah. The road noise is going away indeed. I'm prepping the car for a sound system upgrade. As I mentioned in the first post...It's going to be a few months before the Hybrid Audio L841-3 set goes in. The plans for the subwoofers are to load them into the back deck. Two 10" Illusion Audio ND-10"s (the REAL and original shallow mount SQ subs). These right here:

Sorry, off topic a bit. Okay, I got the trunk lid done today along with the front passenger's door. The passenger's door is pretty much the same as the driver's side door with the exception of the different control panel. I have pictures if you absolutely want to see them. More interesting is the trunk lid. Before I touched it, the thing wouldn't close under it's own weight. Now...well, let's just say it's a bit different.

It was nice enough today to do some work outside, so I took the factory clips along with the trim panel off the trunk lid:

Looking at it, there are some major voids on the top of the trunk lid. The way that Toyota engineered it is really nice to keep the weight down, very efficient. Well, I killed the dead spaces with some foam:

I put a layer of deadening on, why I didn't take a picture of it, I'll never understand. However, you can see the deadening on the edges in the next series of pictures. I put on not two but three layers of Ensolite on the trunk lid. That's almost 1/2" of asound absorbing foam OVER the deadening and the expanding foam already in the skeleton of the trunk lid. Can someone say obsessive overkill?

Now comes the stock cover. I did trim up the foam from the previous picture. Yes...it was a bit more tight than the stock fit. Notice the white foam in the lid on the right side:

Here's the solution to hide that foam (thank you Justin):

Here's a nice weapon to have on your side when using glue:

How about a shameless plug for my favorite shop...I'm killing the wiring and the moisture barrier off the door before the passenger's door gets treated:

*sigh*

I chopped the time it took for the passenger's side door by half compared to the driver's side door. This is pretty reassuring to me. This means that the rear doors will probably only take me a couple hours each to do to the level I want. I will be killing the door panel itself more on those since there aren't any door speakers going into those.

Oh! Keep your eyes peeled to how I mount the mid woofers in a couple months. I've got a NICE trick that will bring the sound of ANY speaker to the next level. That being said, it does require you to chop into the door...but hell, I'm going all the way plus some, I might as well do it to the best of my ability. All I'll say at this point is that the stock door panel speaker openings are SO "constricting" sound-wise. One of the owners of the shop showed me a little trick that is pretty much the difference between night and day on the same speakers.

I think this Saturday I'll look at doing some of the floor pan. Whether that be the back or the front, I'll sleep on it. If I do the front, it'll probably only be one side or the other. I'm thinking of two layers of deadening and four laters of ensolite (over 1/2" of ensolite) on the flat parts of the floor pan.

Last edited by sqcomp; 05-13-2009 at 03:49 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:56 PM   #18
abdallah380
Fly Emirates :)

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
thanks for the reply bro. if it helps in stopping annoying rattle. i guess i should better start working on sound deadening too :)
abdallah380 is offline   Reply With Quote