Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-11-2015, 03:48 PM   #1
ItsanEE

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris LE Hatchback
2008 Toyota Yaris Immobilizer/Transponder Key

I guess I should start off by explaining everything:

I have a 2008 Toyota Yaris hatchback with a master transponder key and a grey valet key. I'm quite handy with vehicle maintenance and would prefer to fix the issue with my husband.
My battery died and when we tried boosting it the alarm went off and we were unable to shut it off. We left the vehicle sitting for a few months and tried boosting it again. The alarm did not go off this time. With a portable charger/reader we saw that the battery was at 8% but was charging very slowly. After taking the battery in to Canadian Tire for testing we confirmed that the battery (being the original) was in need of replacement.
We replaced the battery but the immobilizer light on the driver's side of the dashboard was red and not blue. It would not start initially so we proceeded to find instructions to reset the key. We tried the following instructions:

Programming To Program Wireless Remote Transmitters:
Procedure

Begin with:

The driver’s door open and unlocked.
Key out of the ignition.
1. Insert and remove the key from the ignition switch 2 times within 5 seconds.

NOTE: Steps 2 and 3 should be performed within 40 seconds.

2. Close and open driver’s door TWICE.
3. Insert the key into the ignition and remove it.

NOTE: Steps 4 – 6 should be performed within 40 seconds.

4. Close and open the driver’s door twice.
5. Insert the key into the ignition.
6. Close the door.
7. Turn the ignition switch from “Lock” to “On” and back to “Lock” at about 1 second
intervals to select the desired mode:

-1 time for ADD mode.

-2 times for REWRITE mode.

-3 times for CONFIRMATION mode.

-5 times for PROHIBITION mode.

8. Remove the key from the ignition.
9. To confirm your mode selection, the power locks will now cycle “lock” to “unlock” a
number of times corresponding to your key cycles in step 7.

NOTE: If Confirmation or Prohibition modes have been selected, opening the door will
complete the procedure.

10. For Add or Rewrite modes do the following within 40 seconds of Door
Lock confirmation:

A. Press both transmitter Lock and Unlock buttons simultaneously between 1 and
1.5 seconds and release.

B. Within 3 seconds of step A, press the transmitter Lock button for more than 1
second and release.

If the transmitter has been successfully programmed, the power locks will
cycle “lock” to “unlock” once at this time.

If there are problems with the transmitter or the procedure up to this point, the
locks will cycle twice. If this occurs, verify that you have received the correct
transmitter, and then repeat the above procedure.

C. If multiple remotes are to be reprogrammed, repeat steps A and B.

11. Open the driver’s door to conclude programming mode.

It never acknowledged that we attempted resetting the key and did not go into "program mode". So we thought maybe it was the fuse for the immobilizer. We took the fuse out and it appeared in good shape. While the fuse was out we tried starting it up and it did but the ABS, parking brake, airbag, and powersteering lights come on. I was unable to shift out of park and the power windows, radio, and power locks would not work. We replaced the fuse with a new one just to make sure we had a good fuse in and when we tried starting it the same thing happened. We then attempted to reset the key and again it would not acknowledge the programming. We decided to try the spare valet and the same thing happened when we tried starting the vehicle.

Is there any way I can fix this problem myself without taking it to the dealership?
ItsanEE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2008 yaris, anti-theft, immobilizer, transponder