Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-10-2016, 06:18 PM   #1
VegeLasagna

Drives: Yaris
Changed Spark Plugs and Now Car Won't Start

BACKGROUND:

So I have a 2009 Yaris with 59,000 miles on it. Haven't done any real maintenance on it other than scheduled oil changes every 5000 or 10,000 miles.

For awhile, I noticed my battery is getting weak, about a year now, mainly when I'm charging my phone with engine off for awhile, and start the car, it cranks slow, but still starts. It hasn't done this in a few months though, but the last two weeks, I've noticed my car, when driving would drive slightly weak... like won't accelerate as fast or slightly struggle trying to get past 70 mph. It's nothing major and will only be noticeable to ME, since I know how my car drives.

The last weak, I noticed the MAINTENCE REQUIRED light go off on my car, only when I start my car and disappear right afterwards. I was thinking maybe it was because I'm about 600 miles away from my scheduled oil service change, since that's what usually what happens when I'm about 500 miles away from my scheduled oil change service.

PROBLEM:

Anyways, my dad changed the spark plugs today. Got NGK plugs. After changing them, car wouldn't start. Would barely get a spark. When trying to start car, it wouldn't crank and a screeching sound would come on. He tried putting back the old spark plugs back in and still same thing.

After a few hours trying to figure out what was wrong, I figured it was the battery, he said he checked battery and it was still good, but i haven't changed battery since 2009. So we tried jump starting the battery with another car and the engine FINALLY CRANKED... but wouldn't start still.

We've checked the gap of spark plugs and its fine.

Is it just the battery that's the problem? Wouldn't jumping the battery allow it to start?

The car was fine before the spark plug change (other than the weak battery and slightly low feeling driving power)

I don't know anything about cars, but my dad does, and he's stumped.

Thanks.
VegeLasagna is offline   Reply With Quote