Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Marketplace > Sponsors Classifieds Area > NonStopTuning
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-03-2007, 08:39 PM   #19
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
The sig doesn't lie... but it does rhyme. Fuck I'm clever!
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:18 AM   #20
Venom
Ooby Dooby Ke-Newbie

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
1. YamilR
2. YarisGuy
3. ChinoCharles
4. Galavoxx
5. riceboy
6. spkrman
7. Venom
Old 01-04-2007, 12:47 AM   #21
ChinoCharles
Banned

Nice, halfway there with 10 days to go! Lets get more than 14!

Need another reason to get in on this? Lotus Elise dyno sheets, fresh from the printer.

ELISEdynoHP.JPG
ELISEdynoTQ.JPG

Keep in mind the Elise is basically race ready from the factory, and has some of the lightest stock pulleys in the business, and NST was STILL able to improve.

Need yet another reason? Infinity G35...

NSTdynoG35.JPG

Any application, any make, any model, these pulleys make increases across the ENTIRE powerband. The Megan header couldn't do that, and it was $80 more.

I just got a woodie.

Now, lets blow this GB up and let NST know we want more products! A full pulley kit, plus alternative pulley kits for boosted applications... if the demand is there, the production will follow. It all starts with one.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:59 AM   #22
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
good mod, more people hop on!
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 02:19 AM   #23
nevermorez

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS
1. YamilR
2. YarisGuy
3. ChinoCharles
4. Galavoxx
5. riceboy
6. spkrman
7. Venom
8. nevermorez

I've missed the header GB. I won't miss it this time! :D
nevermorez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 07:15 PM   #24
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
Guys, just a warning your buying a single pully that is lighter then stock, it will not gain you any HP, only a smaller pulley will gain hp. this is a good product but will not add HP, if i'm wrong please educate me.
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 07:38 PM   #25
spkrman
Banned

Put me as a maybe... due to a financial situation I had to dig into the funds set aside for this pulley :(

hopefully I'll have it sorted by the 14th, shouldnt be a problem... I hope!
Old 01-04-2007, 07:58 PM   #26
dngz

Drives: black yaris sedan
1. YamilR
2. YarisGuy
3. ChinoCharles
4. Galavoxx
5. riceboy
6. spkrman
7. Venom
8. nevermorez
9. dngz
dngz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:03 PM   #27
nevermorez

Oh man, you just scared me. I would not trade performance for the long term reliablility. Guess I should pass the GB this time.

1. YamilR
2. YarisGuy
3. ChinoCharles
4. Galavoxx
5. riceboy
6. spkrman
7. Venom
8. dngz
Old 01-05-2007, 12:41 AM   #28
NonStopTuning

Drives: NST CARS: S13 AE86 ANT10 AW11
Ok guys and girls, I'm back to say hello :)

First of all many thanks to all of you that have signed up already, especially RiceBoy and ChinoCharles for their kind words and the posting of the dynos that I shared with them. You really don't know this yet, but you are helping to bring a product to your community and getting involved with a company that really really cares about the customer and the product.

Now strap in because you are about to get a novel!

1. Regarding Light Weight pulleys vs Underdrive pulleys.

There is a ton of info about these concepts on our website and I will share just a tad with you here, you can look on our site or ask me on AIM and I can explain more. Also a lot of this info has been posted elsewhere on the internet by many of our customers and friends...

There are two benefits to NST pulleys. One is weight reduction, the other underdrive. Weight reduction leads to extra throttle response and a bit of HP and TQ being freed up and sent to the wheels. Underdriving from the crank pulley means sending less power to run the accessories, thus sending even more HP and TQ to the wheels.

The pulley we are offering you guys is of the first variety, it is an OEM diameter, lightweight crank pulley. We call this CR-Lite.

I will share some pics with you in the near future, but know this for now... The design of your crank case and your OEM crank pulley make it very difficult to design an underdrive crank pulley small enough to actually do any underdriving! If we could do more for you, we probably would, believe me.

Also, an underdrive crank pulley would slow your A/C and alternator by a tad, and many of you complain about your A/Cs being weak as they are. Most of you do not seem to want them any weaker.

90% of the time I am actually in favor of an underdrive crank pulley... but after doing some research I have come to the conclusion that for your Yaris a CR-Lite may actually be the best fit and best option.

2. On the topic of CR-Lite making your car more jumpy/harder to drive...

This idea comes from the school of thought derived from a light weight flywheel. Typically when you install a light flywheel you are doing weight reduction in the neighborhood of 10lbs. Not always, but in many cases.

That is a drastic change and people often talk about their cars being more jumpy. Our crank pulleys do not lead to such effects. Ask anyone who has ever owned a car with any NST pulley and they will tell you that they would never switch back to OEM. This is not BS!!!

3. On the topic of harmonic issues and engines blowing up....

I could write 3 pages on this alone, so I will try to make it short and sweet.

There are a few people on the internet who like to act as though people who invented pulleys murdered their mother and seem to be on a witch hunt!!! They will go to great lengths to prove to you in theories that solid pulleys will blow your motors. Sadly, their evidence is 90% theoretical and internet hearsay. He said, she said. Some ricer threw a bunch of mods on his car and blew his motor, so it must have been caused by the pulley!!!

In theory it is true that any extra vibrations are bad for small, high output, high reving engines. This is absolutely true and I would not recommend a solid pulley for a 1.8 liter, 450 HP, 10,000 RPM motor. Does your Yaris fall in this category?

We are capable of building dampened crank pulleys, but such a pulley would MSRP for $300 rather than $110, and you guys do not want to pay such high prices for something that is not necessary.

I have personally been in the pulley industry in one way or another for almost a decade. I have owned several race cars and I use NST pulleys on every car I own. As you look through our website you will see that we have a few cars that compete in professional drift events such as Formula D events. We have never ever had to rebuild a motor because of our solid pulleys. And these cars do nothing but run on race tracks. They are in fact modified for high horsepower, higher redlines, and spending their days and nights at higher RPMs. We have never had issues with these cars.

Would we really put weak sause products on our own race cars and take them to national events only to look like morons in front of all those people watching?

Like I said, this is a very hotly contested topic on the internet and we could go on and on and on and on arguing theories and formulas. I have made an effort to explain this to you in lamens terms, simple common sense, and my own personal experience rather than what is posted on some random website.

You can choose the route you desire, but please do not follow blindly. Try to learn from real facts and real world testing. Ofcourse naturally, I am only here to try and sell you a product. I obviously don't know what I'm talking about

Finally, on the topic of aftermarket pulleys blowing up motors...

Please take a look at this interesting thread on www.ScionLife.com...

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/view...9d570e0cf8c082

As always, thank you to those of you who have expressed interest in our site and products, I certainly do appreciate it. I hope we can bring some great products to your community in the coming months.

Last edited by NonStopTuning; 01-16-2007 at 03:49 PM.
NonStopTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 01:13 AM   #29
ChinoCharles
Banned

"I have been running NST pulleys for the past few years on all my daily drivers, not just the tC. I don't know the exact mileage to be honest with you, but I know I have gone well past 75,000 miles."

"I have had other motors besides the 2az such as the 4ag and 4agze motors some race and some stock running with 0 issues with the NST pulleys with over 100K miles on them. NST ROCKS!"

"I've had the NST pullies on for about 8000 miles and still no problem."

"i've had them on for 1500
no problems whatsoever. Air conditioning blows just as cold as it did with the stock pully, this is when it's cooling the 85 degrees plus 85% humidity florida air."

"i got my Zpi crank pulley and the Water, Alt.. NSTpulleys and havent had a problem. i have i have going for 10000 mile and still running like it should run like a toyota engine (no damn honda motor .25 cent just to fix it)"

"Been running NST pullies on my ride for awhile now and its still running strong w/no problems. Car is at 48k miles now. Highly recommend NST pullies, one of my best investments made, performance-wise."

"i'm runnin all 3 of the NST pulleys. ( underdrive crank, water pump and alt. pulley.) my car just hit about 40,000. not one single problem yet. NST is the best!"

"I have over 80K miles on my tC, I'm not aware of how many miles are on my 3pc. set from NST, but the set itself is nasty.. I love it. I have had no issues since my engine rebuild."

"just got mine on yesterday, its the NST underdrive. it most def pulls harder in the mid to upper range. not much of a diffrence or power but enough to feel it. dont expect a night and day diffrence"

This is pretty much every comment made on the first two pages from people that owned the NST pulley(s). Not much bad coming from the tC crowd.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:15 AM   #30
nevermorez

Wow, thanks Mike and Charles. That's very informative. In the beginning, I did get scared, but I'm now pretty confident that it shouldn't affect my car in such negative way. I'm gonna give it a go. I'm IN!

1. YamilR
2. YarisGuy
3. ChinoCharles
4. Galavoxx
5. riceboy
6. spkrman
7. Venom
8. dngz
9. nevermorez
Old 01-05-2007, 01:27 AM   #31
ChinoCharles
Banned

Old 01-05-2007, 02:35 AM   #32
punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonStopTuning View Post
Ok guys and girls, I'm back to say hello :)

1. Regarding Light Weight pulleys vs Underdrive pulleys.

There are two benefits to NST pulleys. One is weight reduction, the other underdrive. Weight reduction leads to extra throttle response and a bit of HP and TQ being freed up and sent to the wheels. Underdriving from the crank pulley means sending less power to run the accessories, thus sending even more HP and TQ to the wheels.

I still can't see how this will add HP, and surely not the 6-10hp chino mentions, those dyno's are for the underdrive pully's not the ct-line, I do understand it will add to the throttle response, leading people to beleive they gained hp

3. On the topic of harmonic issues and engines blowing up....

In theory it is true that any extra vibrations are bad for small, high displacement, high reving engines. This is absolutely true and I would not recommend a solid pulley for a 1.8 liter, 450 HP, 10,000 RPM motor. Does your Yaris fall in this category?

Nope, but, you do admit it will add vibration to the stock motor, which could trigger CEL code.

As always, thank you to those of you who have expressed interest in our site and products, I certainly do appreciate it. I hope we can bring some great products to your community in the coming months.

I may buy, in who knows....
Old 01-05-2007, 03:18 AM   #33
punch

did an internet search and found this article, this seems to sum it up for me, we should see no ill effects, as the rubber on the stock pulley is there to control noise only..

4) "Is my crank pulley a harmonic/torsional/vibration damper or a harmonic balancer?"

People are getting their crank pulleys confused with the harmonic dampers found on some V6 / V8 engines. "Harmonic Balancer" is a term that is used loosely in the automotive industry. Technically, this type of device does not exist. The "balancer" part comes from engines that are externally balanced and have a counterweight cast into the damper, hence the merging of the two terms. None of the applications that we offer utilize a counterweight as part of the pulley as these engines are internally balanced.

The pulleys on most of the new import and smaller JDM engines have an elastomer (rubber ring) incorporated into the pulley that looks similar to a harmonic damper. The elastomer in the OEM pulley serves as an isolator, which is there to suppress natural vibration and noise from the engine itself, the A/C compressor, P/S pump, and alternator. This is what the manufacturers call NVH (Noise Vibration & Harshness) when referring to noticeable noise and vibration in the passenger compartment. It is important to note that in these applications, this elastomer is somewhat inadequate in size, as well as life span, to act as an effective torsional damper. If you look at the pulleys on some of the imports there is no rubber to be found at all. This is not to say that with our pulleys you will hear a ton of noise or feel more vibration from your engine compartment. Most who have installed and driven a vehicle with our pulleys will notice the engine actually feels smoother. This is a natural result of replacing the heavy steel crank pulley with a CNC-machined aerospace aluminum pulley. NVH is variable and unique to every car. NVH will increase with the installation of an aftermarket intake and/or exhaust, for example. Think of OEM intake systems in newer cars, they use baffles and resonators in the intake to quiet all the intake noise. Aftermarket intakes eliminate these resonators and create dramatic increases in engine noise from the throttle opening and closing. So to most tuners, certain types of NVH can make the driving experience more enjoyable.

The purpose of a traditional harmonic damper is to protect against crank failure from torsional movement. This is not necessary in most modern engines because of the many advances in engine design and materials. Factors such as stroke, displacement, inline, V configurations, power output, etc., do determine when and how these harmonics and torsional movements occur.

Again, there is a lot of internet hearsay about the pulleys. When engine problems occur, too often people are quick to blame the pulley first, rather than taking the time to look logically into why there was a problem. We hope that after reading this you will understand the crank pulleys better.

<< Back to top

5) "Will these pulleys cause premature engine bearing wear?"

This is a fear many prospective owners have and is a valid concern since we are dealing directly with the rotating assembly. Fortunately it is another urban myth with no basis in fact. The fact is that our pulleys have the opposite effect on engine bearings. The combination of tight tolerances, quality control, perfect balance, and dramatic weight loss versus the stock pulleys reduces stress loads on your engine, extending the total service life you can expect from your engine. Engine bearing problems are purely associated to poor engine maintenance, use of heavier than factory recommended oils, improper engine building practices (which includes poor balancing), excessively revving engines when they are cold, and owners expecting their factory oil pumps to handle engine power outputs beyond 3, 4, even 5+ times the stock power levels.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:44 AM   #34
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
I'm very interested, could I get an estimate of shipping all the way to this little corner of the world?

Also, I'm not sure if I missed it, is there a choice of colors?

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 03:12 PM   #35
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Delivery time

I might be in...

If the GB ends on the 14th... When could we expect the pulley to be delivered?
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 03:19 PM   #36
spkrman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
I'm very interested, could I get an estimate of shipping all the way to this little corner of the world?

Also, I'm not sure if I missed it, is there a choice of colors?
"You guys will have a choice of three colors: Red, Blue, Graphite Gray." 1st post lol. You just jumped right to the dyno graphs didn't you...

I'm definitely back on board! Got the erroneus charges off my account! I was ready to call up in war mode today, but they were already erased :(... turned out it was my trip to kinko's after all, wouldn't read my card.. so they tried over and over... every one put a hold for the $ on my account but did charge lol.

$ set aside... and barring something catostrophic, I'm in

sig is gonna be updated with my fav quote from this thread, btw