Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-06-2009, 06:40 PM   #1
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
ABS info

My '08 LB is supposed to have ABS yet no matter how I brake on varying surfaces from snow, ice, water or mud there isn't the usual pulsation. Is it a new pulsation free design or do I need to have the dealer look at it?
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:56 PM   #2
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Did the wheels lock up , i know on my Yaris , you dont so much feel it but you can here it
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:00 PM   #3
birdman

It brakes like a non ABS car. The wheels haven't locked up so far and there is no sound.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:05 PM   #4
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
if you have not locked up the wheels during braking then the abs will
activate , stomp on them hard and if the wheels lock and dont unlock
with out you taking your foot of the brake then yes you have a problem .
But if you cant get your wheels to lock up then the ABS is working fine .,
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:19 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
When you turn the key to the "ON" position (but not actually start the engine) you will see the ABS light illuminate above the speedometer, if you have ABS. No light - no ABS.

Enviri bought his 08, theoretically with ABS, but his car doesn't have ABS. When we noticed the lack of the light, we looked under the hood and sure enough there was no Brake Actuator/ Skid Control ECU below the master cylinder.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:57 PM   #6
mr9865
$10.25/hr frying chicken

Drives: 2012 Yaris L
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
When you turn the key to the "ON" position (but not actually start the engine) you will see the ABS light illuminate above the speedometer, if you have ABS. No light - no ABS.

Enviri bought his 08, theoretically with ABS, but his car doesn't have ABS. When we noticed the lack of the light, we looked under the hood and sure enough there was no Brake Actuator/ Skid Control ECU below the master cylinder.
Yep Used car dealers like to check the box that says the car has ABS when they really don't. Always need to look for the light.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:48 AM   #7
birdman

Wow, I just checked and there is no ABS light. That explains it. I bought it brand new and was told ABS came with the side airbag package and thats why it wasn't shown on the invoice. It's getting to where you cant trust anyone in the sales industry any more. I've got everything but ABS. Foothills Toyota in Burlington WA. Buyers beware! Perhaps there are honest sales people there and perhaps mine was naive and perhaps pigs can fly..... Arrrrgh!

Last edited by birdman; 12-07-2009 at 12:50 AM. Reason: left something out
Old 12-07-2009, 12:53 AM   #8
birdman

Just Google searched and adding ABS isn't an option. How important is ABS? My old Civic wagon didn't have it and I never wrecked it in 12 years of rain, snow, mud and ice. The non ABS Yaris I would hope would be just as good as that great old Honda.

Last edited by birdman; 12-07-2009 at 01:15 AM.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:26 AM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman View Post
Just Google searched and adding ABS isn't an option. How important is ABS? My old Civic wagon didn't have it and I never wrecked it in 12 years of rain, snow, mud and ice. The non ABS Yaris I would hope would be just as good as that great old Honda.
If you know how to drive on wet or snowy roads, ABS really isn't necessary. It's purpose is to do the thinking for those who panic and stomp and hold the brake rather than pulsing it.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:00 PM   #10
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Wow, I just checked and there is no ABS light. That explains it. I bought it brand new and was told ABS came with the side airbag package and thats why it wasn't shown on the invoice. It's getting to where you cant trust anyone in the sales industry any more. I've got everything but ABS. Foothills Toyota in Burlington WA. Buyers beware! Perhaps there are honest sales people there and perhaps mine was naive and perhaps pigs can fly..... Arrrrgh!
Do you have the power package?(windows, locks, etc)
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:27 PM   #11
birdman

Yes I have the power package. Why?
Old 12-07-2009, 07:15 PM   #12
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Yes I have the power package. Why?
Just wondering. In 2007, the ABS wasn't available. In 2008, the ABS only came with the power package. And I believe 2009 it comes on all models. Just thought you might not have the power package. If you still have the original window sticker I would check to see if it's on the list. If it is, I would go back to the dealer and demand some type of refund. Because the price you paid included the ABS but you actually don't have it. Another way to check if you have it or not is to look in the fuse box. If there is a fuse in the ABS slot then you should have it. If there isn't one then they screwed you over.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:38 PM   #13
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:

Hmm you coulda got hurt stomping on the brakes trying to see if the ABS worked!
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:43 PM   #14
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
How important is ABS? .
Its a joke. If anything it makes people have MORE trouble because they think "Oh Ive got ABS so I can go 20 miles an hour faster!" Its like 4WD. It makes you think youre Superman.
As a motorcyclist I hear lots of stories about people crashing when their ABS fault light goes on in wet weather. They were doing just fine then "OMG I dont have ABS anymore!" and they crash.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:09 PM   #15
mr9865
$10.25/hr frying chicken

Drives: 2012 Yaris L
I must be one of those idiot drivers because I like abs, my last car did not have it and the wheels would lock up with just the slighest tap of the brakes all winter. Traction control is useless though, I always turn that off during winter.