Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-27-2015, 09:26 PM   #1
Squash

Drives: First Gen Yaris
Source of 'crickets' noise?

Hi, I have an issue with my 2005 Yaris 1.5L Auto (It's done less than 60k miles) that my mechanic can't replicate (I don't think he took it out long enough/warmed it up enough to induce it happening) and I can't manage to get a good sound recording of, but it sounds like crickets chirping and it's pretty loud.

The noise only seems to happen when the car is stationary and the brakes are applied.

* It happens daily, becoming more frequent as the car warms up.

* If I take my foot off the brake and start rolling forward the noise stops.

* If I pop it into Neutral the noise stops as well. Which leads me to popping it into Neutral at every traffic light as the noise is loud enough to be a little embarrassing (this is an auto so it's unusual to have to do this all the time).

* It does not seem to occur when I'm braking while moving, only a few moments after the car has come to a stop.

* My mechanic thought it might be the fan belt and tightened it, but it didn't help so I've sort of ruled that out.

Does anyone have any diagnostic ideas?

Last edited by Squash; 10-27-2015 at 09:38 PM.
Squash is offline   Reply With Quote