Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-05-2009, 12:33 AM   #1
dreamteam

Drives: 2008 Yaris
It's that ol' wireless throttle again.......

Yeah, so people ask me "how do you like that Yaris?" and I reply, "good gas mileage, good handling, throttle sucks."
This fly-by-wire thing is killing me. I have been driving a stick for 40 years and never killed the engine.
I've been driving the Yaris for almost two years now and I still kill it at least once a week.
Where I live it gets COLD, and the colder it gets, the less throttle responce I have.
Update me , enlighten me, tell me there is a TSB........something!
dreamteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:02 AM   #2
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
I dont know. I havent driven stick in years and i drove a friends yaris that was stick for the first time and never had any issues stalling.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:15 AM   #3
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
@dreamteam: Most people don't notice the throttle lag. But if you can't stand it, you should get yourself an NTD throttle controller. A higher setting (like SP4+) will definitely help you out.

More info here:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23314

Group buy here:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23349

Hope that helps... Welcome to YW!
Old 11-05-2009, 09:35 AM   #4
SaerinRhoe
'09 Yaris

Drives: '09 Yaris
Hey Dream,

I drive an '09 LB w/ the 5-spd manual and I manage to stall the engine once in a while, probably once every couple of weeks. Most of the time it's in a drive-thru line or when I forget to down-shift far enough for a turn.

My biggest problem so far has been grinding from 1st to 2nd when I try to hotdog.

Just my $ .02,

S.R.

SaerinRhoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:57 AM   #5
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaerinRhoe View Post

My biggest problem so far has been grinding from 1st to 2nd when I try to hotdog.

Just my $ .02,

S.R.
poor poor synchros :(
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:18 AM   #6
DerFlosser

Drives: Yaris
There is definitely a big downside to fly-by-wire. Coming from mechanical linkages....fly-by-wire is a real drag. It's not a really big deal to me because the Yaris is a lifeless ecobox that I use as a commuter but it is annoying at times that it feels like I am a rookie with the stickshift. The fly-by-wire is inconsistent, or...if not that, it is very sensitive to external inputs such as coolant temp, electrical load(s) etc. I am not a fan...
DerFlosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:09 PM   #7
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Me neither. The counterbalance instead of a spring takes away any feel for the throttle, and gives me a severe shin cramp on a long trip. My buddy's Echo has the old-style cable throttle, and is a joy to use after the Yaris.
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:42 PM   #8
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
poor poor synchros :(
I will agree the hydraulic clutch sucks - the trans is OK. More of a shift timing issue due to the clutch engaging too close to the floorboard.
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:15 PM   #9
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
The counterbalance instead of a spring takes away any feel for the throttle, and gives me a severe shin cramp on a long trip.
haha.... try running once in a while.... or even some calf-raises with weight in slow motion.

I honestly think it's just sensative... Some cars have big sweet spots for the clutch... outs' isn't so big. You try and be too light with the pedal in 1st gear and you will kill it... after 2 years... I probably only kill its once or twice a month, usually when I'm trying to be very efficient with gas on my starts.

haven't noticed temps having any effect either. When I bought my yaris... it was the beginning of a 90+ inches of snow winter... now I live in a place that rarely drops below 40 during the day.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:59 PM   #10
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Nah, I have no condition problems, and I will be damned if I am going to go through an exercise regime just to drive my car. After 55 years behind the wheel, changing the car is the only option...
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:40 AM   #11
DerFlosser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
Nah, I have no condition problems, and I will be damned if I am going to go through an exercise regime just to drive my car. After 55 years behind the wheel, changing the car is the only option...
Agree.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:21 PM   #12
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
well good luck to both of you with your new cars.

And if you're almost 70, you have conditioning problems by default... lol
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:22 PM   #13
woof

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatch/Black
I stalled the engine on take off at least 200 times the first year I owned it. I have driven a clutch constantly (no automatics for me) for 40 years and have never had a worse time of it. The second year I killed it at least a 100 times and just did so recently.

Another problem is the inability to really get a good shift between gears. It seems the revs drop abnormally fast and when I re-engage the clutch there is a buck because the revs don't match. The dealer always tells me "nothing is wrong" and act like their is nothing to adjust.

It took me over a year to look at the floor pan and notice part of the problem is the the typical "big American foot" hits the raised side to the left of the clutch pedal which keeps it from going all the way to the floor. That's a biggie and part of my stall problem.

As a result of all of this I have a chattering clutch and a popping sound from inside the transaxle. The service manager just told me to go screw myself as he doesn't here anything wrong!

I'm getting ready to write the owner and see if he can get Toyota interested in looking at my car. I have reported these problems three times in the past two and a half years and now I have 54K on the hatch.

Anybody have the "clunk" when the clutch engages--it's like slack being taken up in the transaxle.
woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:45 PM   #14
supmet
Banned

^^ there is a "big foot mod" check it out.

But it sounds like you burned your clutch and synchros from not pushing the clutch down, which boils down to operator error. Get it fixed at a local transmission shop, and do the big foot mod.

Last edited by PK198105; 11-23-2009 at 02:13 PM. Reason: just leave it at that
Old 11-23-2009, 03:26 PM   #15
DerFlosser

Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
^^ there is a "big foot mod" check it out.

But it sounds like you burned your clutch and synchros from not pushing the clutch down, which boils down to operator error. Get it fixed at a local transmission shop, and do the big foot mod.
Right....the guy has been driving a manual gearbox for 40 years but doesn't have the clutch depressed.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:42 PM   #16
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
I stalled the engine on take off at least 200 times the first year I owned it. I have driven a clutch constantly (no automatics for me) for 40 years and have never had a worse time of it. The second year I killed it at least a 100 times and just did so recently.

Another problem is the inability to really get a good shift between gears. It seems the revs drop abnormally fast and when I re-engage the clutch there is a buck because the revs don't match. The dealer always tells me "nothing is wrong" and act like their is nothing to adjust.

It took me over a year to look at the floor pan and notice part of the problem is the the typical "big American foot" hits the raised side to the left of the clutch pedal which keeps it from going all the way to the floor. That's a biggie and part of my stall problem.

As a result of all of this I have a chattering clutch and a popping sound from inside the transaxle. The service manager just told me to go screw myself as he doesn't here anything wrong!

I'm getting ready to write the owner and see if he can get Toyota interested in looking at my car. I have reported these problems three times in the past two and a half years and now I have 54K on the hatch.

Anybody have the "clunk" when the clutch engages--it's like slack being taken up in the transaxle.
I have a clunk when I release the clutch too fast. I've been trying a different driving style lately that conposes of very slowly and gently releasing the clutch while applying gas. Not riding the clutch per se, but easing it in.
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:01 PM   #17
supmet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerFlosser View Post
Right....the guy has been driving a manual gearbox for 40 years but doesn't have the clutch depressed.
his words not mine.. It helps to read more than the first sentence of a post

Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
Old 11-23-2009, 05:18 PM   #18
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
I'm just glad to read this post and know that I'm not the only one that has this issue. If I don't use the parking brake on hills to hold the car in place while the drive by wire catches up to my foot pressing it the car stalls. I totally share your frustration and finally have learned to live with and expect it. Interesting to hear you've noticed it becomes slower with the colder weather-I guess I have noticed the lag is worse first backing out of the drive on cold mornings. I've driven an '09 Fit with the drive by wire throttle 5 speed and found no problem even parked on hills at a stop light-guess toyota needs to get this sorted out.
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote