Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-04-2009, 10:04 AM   #1
Phaeton

Drives: Blazing Blue Liftback
Cheap motor

For anyone looking for a spare motor.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/pts/1492110128.html
Phaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 04:44 PM   #2
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
hmmm if I expected my engine to last less than 200k... i'd probably pick it up.... I'm actually scared that my car will get in a wreck long before the engine has a chance to die.... Would be nice to have a new motor like that when the car gets up to like 150-200k miles tho.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:45 PM   #3
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Aren't you guys glad we bought Yarisisiss? If the engine blows, we can get another one cheap style.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:14 PM   #4
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Hmmm How much is one at Toyota new? IS a $200 motor (used) worth paying $200 for? I mean, that seems pretty cheap to me. I gotta tell you the nine year old motor in my ECHO with 45k miles on it I would want a LOT more than $200 for...
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:50 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Hmmm How much is one at Toyota new? IS a $200 motor (used) worth paying $200 for? I mean, that seems pretty cheap to me. I gotta tell you the nine year old motor in my ECHO with 45k miles on it I would want a LOT more than $200 for...
The asking price for engines is all over the place. This is the cheapest one I've seen and on the other end of the spectrum, I've seen people asking as much as $1000. I have a feeling that the demand is pretty low, as the number of totaled Yaris seems to far outweigh the number of ones with blown engines.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:23 PM   #6
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Yes that would be a good reason and I believe it 100%!
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:39 PM   #7
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Yes that would be a good reason and I believe it 100%!
I want to say that a year or two ago I saw yaris engines going on ebay for around $4000.... think they were supposed to be new tho.

I can't imagine the 1.5L to ever die before 150k, unless there was a complete negligence on the part of the driver... I mean... it'd have to be run dry of oil, or engine coolant I'd think to kill an engine quickly..... maybe if you ran it without an air filter.... but you'd get other wierd issues long before the engine died. the MAF sensor would start getting all buggy and the rpm's would go all crazy.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:47 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I was looking at a national insurance auction site a couple weeks ago and there were over 500 Yaris on there with salvage titles (i.e. totaled cars). Most had usable engines. I have a feeling that in the near future engines will be far cheaper than bumpers on eBay, just based on supply and demand.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:17 PM   #9
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
I want to say that a year or two ago I saw yaris engines going on ebay for around $4000.... think they were supposed to be new tho.

I can't imagine the 1.5L to ever die before 150k, unless there was a complete negligence on the part of the driver... I mean... it'd have to be run dry of oil, or engine coolant I'd think to kill an engine quickly..... maybe if you ran it without an air filter.... but you'd get other wierd issues long before the engine died. the MAF sensor would start getting all buggy and the rpm's would go all crazy.
I'd be shocked if the #1 reason for engine death wasn't overboosting.