Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-31-2010, 11:35 PM   #1
GnomeBody
AD&D Dork

Drives: 07Liftback/07sedanS
gude-head-1NZ-FE

Does any one know what the low down is on a gude-head-1NZ-FE

Will this buy me anything on a NA motor? or am I gunna have to combine it with fuel management or FI to really net any gains.

All and all, Im not really looking to build a race car, Im just trying to figure out what my options are to reshape my powerband to match my driving habits. For example, I never really go faster than 60 or 70 mph (no interstate driving) because all my driving is to work and back (Its all backroads or stop and go) Any other driveing normaly means Ive got the family in tow so I end up taking take the gen2 XB (hence why Im also considering getting rid of my backseat). To change the shape of my powerband I think my best bet would be custom cams, witch Im willing to do if it makes driving to work more fun, dont know what it would cost tho...

To be completely honest, Ive be entertaining the idea of sacrificing some pony's from the top in turn for some more torque at the bottom. maybe even combine it with a slightly smaller than stocktire diameter. I think I could be ok with my car topping out at 85 if it meant an equal trade in off the line acceleration lol.

Mods: K&N filter, Megan Coilovers, Ultra Racing 19mm rear sway bar, Sun tachometer, Window Tint.
GnomeBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:50 PM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
No one knows, at least on the Yaris. Order one and see, then we'll all know.

What does Gude say and/or guarantee about management?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:14 AM   #3
06silveryaris

Drives: 2006 yaris
I do not know how well the Gude head will increase power considering base power of the car. What I have read on local forums here is the prius pistons swap from what I have heard it a plug and play operation and swapping injectors for corolla or Tc's. I have yet to see one running on the street or track
06silveryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:25 AM   #4
GnomeBody
AD&D Dork

It just says up to +40hp but Im assuming thats max with other mods. The price is a bit much for me to justify without some sort of estimate on what to expect on a stock N/A setup. I could just spend the money towards a supercharger.

there description says...
"1. Intake ports are ported to create maximum velocity then rough cross hatched to provide better fuel atomization, which increases combustion efficiency providing increased power both at low and high rpm.
2. Exhaust ports are ported to relive internal pressure quickly, yet provide enough velocity to scavenge well, insuring a full fresh fuel and air charge will be delivered to the combustion chambers, not diluted down with left over spent gases from the last firing.
3. Head surface is milled them hand lapped to create a multi directional #32 micro Finish surface, this leaving hundreds of micro ridges to be crushed down by the steel gasket forming a super micro barrier for better gasket sealing.
4. Intake to head ports are purposely mismatched or stepped to fight unwanted reverberation and to reduce boundary layer effects improving port flow.
5. Valve seats we have tried 3 angles so called 5 angle, and many other valve and seat combinations, we have found that the factory angle on the valve is overall the best and that the blended radius parabolic valve seats pioneered by Gude performance provides the most horse power and longevity on most Imports.
6. Valve guides in most cases we have found that shorting the valve guide is helpful and will promote increased flow while still maintaining excellent valve control.
7. Valve springs all Gude performance camshafts are designed to operate to extreme rpm on stock valve springs, we spent countless hours designing and developing profile which will not require a high pressure valve spring which can cause added friction and valve stem failure due to the high loading of stiffer springs vale stem failure will usually cause major engine damage..
8. Camshafts Gude performance Bullfrog or Stinger cams are included with all Gude head packages, all cams are ground to precise tolerances, and are of the famous Gude profiles. Gude poured out all 30 plus years of experience, into designing cam profiles that are stable at extreme high rpm with stock or light valve spring loading, this increasing horse power and engine reliability, as high valve spring loads can case excessive wear and result in total valve stem failure destroying a expensive engine. "

Could all that net +40 on an N/A

my other question was... On the core deposits... is that ontop of the price? I really need to just email them.

Mods: K&N filter, Megan Coilovers, Ultra Racing 19mm rear sway bar, Sun tachometer, Window Tint.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:31 AM   #5
GnomeBody
AD&D Dork

Oh yeah! Thanks garm! Im loving the suspension. Ive been meaning to post up some pics of the drop I got out of them but my ugly steely rims keep giving reason to postpone lol the dang things keep messing up my pictures.

Last edited by GnomeBody; 04-07-2010 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:03 AM   #6
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
Valve springs all Gude performance camshafts are designed to operate to extreme rpm on stock valve springs,
what does extreme rpm mean? and how does that help if the 1NZ doesn't make power up there?

Someone just needs to bite the bullet, bolt it on, and report back.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:24 PM   #7
H3LlIoN

Drives: '09 Yarrrr hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Someone just needs to bite the bullet, bolt it on, and report back.

Working on that.

Special thanks to Cali Yaris, 1NZYaris1 and lilredrocket
H3LlIoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:54 PM   #8
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
I'm pretty sure the 1NZ won't make any more power after 6500 because of the flow design of the head and cam profile in a N/A tune.

If you're to look at a dyno graph of a 2ZZ it stops making power at about 6000 but then the high profile cam lobe kicks in and power starts to climb again.

It's also the probable cause of the engine starting to richen up just before redline on the 1NZ. Flow can't keep up to the demand of the pistons.

To the OP, that head, if it does what it claims, would shift the power band much higher. That's the only way to make more power N/A other than increasing the displacement.

And Prius pistons would increase the CR to 13:1. So unless you're running on aviation fuel and running a standalone EM, it's a little out of the question for a DD.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:51 PM   #9
GnomeBody
AD&D Dork

^^^ thats what Im affraid of. It may be no point without alot of other mods to go with it. I think the Gude head comes with custom ground cams to match all the other work done to it, so it might indeed be tweaked to produce power at higher RPMs.

I was hopeing that a port and polish would increase flow and give a little more pep in its step, but after reading all the way threw "This Infamous Thread" Im starting to rethink my plan a little. The author of the thread says in one post...

"Extrude Hone and Flow
I had high hopes for the extrude hone process on my head but am somewhat disappointed in the results. EH suggests a 15-20% flow improvement and I was no where near that. Tom called me last night with the flow data. The good news is that the head did improve overall. The bad news is that the low lift intake numbers are down and the overall improvements are maybe in the 4-5% range and more on the exhaust side which is not as important as the intake side.
Picture

Why did the intake side get worse at low lift? The answer is most likely this...most intake ports are a cylinder or tube, but at the very end, just before the valve, the tube narrows. I think this is engineered into the port to achieve the venturi effect, just like with carburetors. The extrude hone process most likely minimizes this effect which hurt low flow on the intake side. The exhaust port does not have this shape and benefitted more. The ported intake did improve from .250 and up and this is a good thing, but the improvements are small. Our exhaust to intake ratio improved. I tend to think nearing 80% is optimal. Going with averages, the intake flow improved about 1% and the exhaust flow improved 9%. What is this worth on the dyno? I'd be surprised if it is worth 3hp and that is a disappointment for the hours of work and expense. I'll know for sure in the next 10 days.

Tom felt that the head could be improved a good deal with hand porting. If you can find a race shop that specializes in porting import cylinder heads, bigger gains would most likely be found."

Last edited by GnomeBody; 04-02-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:14 PM   #10
GnomeBody
AD&D Dork

Now Im starting to think that maybe my game plan should be to either ....

A)bore the cylinders, leave the intake side alone for the most part and port the exhaust side.
-Or-
B) swap in prius pistons and convert the whole dang thing to CNG or Propane.

one way or the other, it looks like I need to pick up a second motor if I really want to do anything crazy. I was looking at one for like $400 but god only know how much shipping would cost. Might be cheaper to find a local junker and pull the motor myself.

Old 04-02-2010, 04:22 PM   #11
H3LlIoN

I am getting ready to submit an order for the gude head. The only modification to my car so far performance wise is the AEM intake. I will run it on a dyno the way she sits, and then swap head and run it again, if you ask nicely. :)

Old 04-02-2010, 04:39 PM   #12
Yoda

Drives: 2008 Black Sedan
...please
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 04:58 PM   #13
GnomeBody
AD&D Dork

Yes! Please!!!

Old 04-02-2010, 05:00 PM   #14
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Drives: Black 08 LB MT & red 97 Miata
please x2 I'm interested in the numbers...

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure
and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell
CtrlAltDefeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:58 PM   #15
redglare45

Drives: 07 Sedan - 5 Speed Manual
Yes, +1. Please let us know the #'s. Hoping you get a nice gain.
redglare45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:23 PM   #16
H3LlIoN

Wow...you guys are showing some serious love!

Head....ordered.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:00 PM   #17
blacksandiegovitz
Your mom goes to college

Drives: 08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by H3LlIoN View Post
Wow...you guys are showing some serious love!

Head....ordered.
^^seriously??? What are the details on what you bought
Old 04-02-2010, 09:46 PM   #18
GnomeBody
AD&D Dork

What's the deal with the core charges? is that ontop of the price?